the171 Posted May 8, 2013 Author Posted May 8, 2013 I've flown alone a bunch, so after a cursory glance at this thread, here's what I've learned: 1. No, they will totally leave without you. This may vary by airline, but I have had a bunch of planes leave without me because I missed a connection due to my first flight being late. It smells of elderberries. So if that happens, you walk up to the nice agent at the gate and ask for help. Or, if there is no agent there, ask one at another gate who doesn't look too busy. They'll reschedule you for free and you'll get where you're going eventually, I promise. If you're nice and polite they'll be more than happy to help you out. Luckily there's a very, very small chance you'll miss your flight. :) Just MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AT LEAST AN HOUR BETWEEN FLIGHTS. Or so. 50 minutes is okay. 2. They'll make you take off headphones for takeoff and landing, just fyi. :) Bring a book! Look grumpy! Pray a Rosary! Though some people make small talk as a way for THEM to feel less awkward and scared. One time I 'made friends' with two army guys coming back from overseas because they wouldn't leave me alone even though I was reading. They then made a navy school brat switch seats with me so I sat next to them in the exit row, and drank their free alcohol with them. It was a totally weird experience, but I think they just wanted someone to talk to and show off for. You meet the most interesting people. :) 3. By being a nice young lady, you're going to get treated better than pretty much everyone else automatically. So smile and say please and thank you and you'll get all the help in the world. :) 4. Airport food is super expensive. But I'm never bothered enough to bring my own and hassle it through security. Just expect it to be expensive, unless it's a chain restaurant. After I get out of security I always like to find my gate first, THEN locate food. You have to lug all your stuff with you wherever you go, though. 5. The 3-1-1 Rule? Psh, GUIDELINES. The actual rule is 3.4 ounces or 100ml in a 4 ounce container. You're supposed to put them in a clear plastic 1 liter bag, but I've gotten away with my brown zippy makeup bag for years, and was only chewed out for it once (and that was after I was stranded in Denver for three days because the Portland Airport roof collapsed and the lovely TSA people were on their last nerve because it was Christmas eve day). But go ahead and stick them in a plastic bag, it's easier. 6. Wear light clothing and easy-to-get-out-of shoes. No belts. If you wear a bun they will pat it down (that was an awkward learning experience). You put your carry ons right on the conveyor belt, grab a bin or two and put your jacket, liquids bag, or laptop (I doubt you'll have a laptop) in those. Shoes go directly on the conveyor belt. Keep your boarding pass with you, you can put your ID away after the nice guys check it and sign your boarding pass. The shortest security line won't always be the closest one. Follow their instructions and you'll be fine. 7. I think I remember you saying you're only bringing carry-ons? Well, always keep enough in your carry-ons to survive if you get stranded somewhere for at least a day - shampoo, toothpaste, change of clothes (or at least underwear! haha!), I can't tell you how many times this has been vital to my survival. That includes the time I made it all the way to AUSTRIA without my checked bags and had to survive on my carry-ons for two days. :) If your carry-on is too big, don't be afraid to gate check it. They put a tag on it and give you the stub and stick it under the plane, and you pick it up immediately after you get off the plane in the tunnel thingy. I think that's most of it. I really should write a book for first time college-aged flyers. These are super good tips, Ms. Frequent Flyer!
Oremoose Posted May 8, 2013 Posted May 8, 2013 (edited) Stupid internets and its wishing to repost! Edited May 8, 2013 by Oremoose
Oremoose Posted May 8, 2013 Posted May 8, 2013 I'm just freaking out because I'm flying alone. Like, what the heck. I'm slowly stepping into some sort of thing called adulthood. This is a big deal. Surprised no one else commented on this. Getting into adulthood is like removing a Band-Aid you do it real fast and it does not hurt as much but you need the guts to do it so few actually do.
Oremoose Posted May 8, 2013 Posted May 8, 2013 (edited) So it's going to be one of those multiple posts days eh interwebz? Edited May 8, 2013 by Oremoose
Oremoose Posted May 8, 2013 Posted May 8, 2013 On a real note you can never go wrong with a deck of cards and a small spot for you to play solitaire.
the171 Posted May 8, 2013 Author Posted May 8, 2013 Surprised no one else commented on this. Getting into adulthood is like removing a Band-Aid you do it real fast and it does not hurt as much but you need the guts to do it so few actually do. I hate band-aids.
Roamin Catholic Posted May 8, 2013 Posted May 8, 2013 Are there any chapels in MINN or ATL? I am going to need somewhere quiet to escape to after being around so many people for so long. I shudder. If you end up booking a connection through MSP; let me know. Depending on your connection time, I know a few places within the airport that are good for sitting down and reading a book without anyone noticing you. I fly through MSP quite often and it is a fairly easy airport to navigate. If I remember correctly, you are going overseas correct? If so, book your return through MSP if possible. They have less International flights, so CBP/Immigration won't be as crazy.
the171 Posted May 8, 2013 Author Posted May 8, 2013 If you end up booking a connection through MSP; let me know. Depending on your connection time, I know a few places within the airport that are good for sitting down and reading a book without anyone noticing you. I fly through MSP quite often and it is a fairly easy airport to navigate. If I remember correctly, you are going overseas correct? If so, book your return through MSP if possible. They have less International flights, so CBP/Immigration won't be as crazy. If New Jersey is overseas, yes.
the171 Posted May 8, 2013 Author Posted May 8, 2013 If you end up booking a connection through MSP; let me know. Depending on your connection time, I know a few places within the airport that are good for sitting down and reading a book without anyone noticing you. I fly through MSP quite often and it is a fairly easy airport to navigate. If I remember correctly, you are going overseas correct? If so, book your return through MSP if possible. They have less International flights, so CBP/Immigration won't be as crazy. My connection time is 9:10AM and I have an hour to kill.
Roamin Catholic Posted May 8, 2013 Posted May 8, 2013 My connection time is 9:10AM and I have an hour to kill. Eh, that time of day and that short of a connection, I usually walk the airport. Otherwise depends on your gate. I know 2 spots where there is never anyone else and then 1 other spot where you sometimes stumble upon a few. If New Jersey is overseas, yes. Might as well be.
DiscerningCatholic Posted May 8, 2013 Posted May 8, 2013 4. Airport food is super expensive. But I'm never bothered enough to bring my own and hassle it through security. Just expect it to be expensive, unless it's a chain restaurant. After I get out of security I always like to find my gate first, THEN locate food. You have to lug all your stuff with you wherever you go, though. 6. Wear light clothing and easy-to-get-out-of shoes. No belts. If you wear a bun they will pat it down (that was an awkward learning experience). You put your carry ons right on the conveyor belt, grab a bin or two and put your jacket, liquids bag, or laptop (I doubt you'll have a laptop) in those. Shoes go directly on the conveyor belt. Keep your boarding pass with you, you can put your ID away after the nice guys check it and sign your boarding pass. The shortest security line won't always be the closest one. Follow their instructions and you'll be fine. I paid 13 bucks for a sandwich and a bottle of water. But it was 5:30 AM and I'd been up since 1:30 AM and hadn't eaten since 6:30 the previous evening, so I was dying. But yeah, airport food is freakin' expensive. "I have a bomb in my bun." I HATE being patted down. It's only happened once. The metal detector usually goes off over my hair clip or my saint medals or my bra or something. The guys still let me go through.
ToJesusMyHeart Posted May 8, 2013 Posted May 8, 2013 If you have a consecration bracelet, it shouldn't set it off. Mine doesn't, and my roommates' doesn't. So don't worry about that.
xTrishaxLynnx Posted May 8, 2013 Posted May 8, 2013 I don't have any luggage. Any tips on the best brands and models? I just used a backpack and a big gym bag for my last trip. ATL is a cool airport. Yes it is. When I have a layover I am ocd and find my connecting gate and go to it. Then I go to places close to that gate for food or for amagaxine or whatever. I do the same. And I get more and more nervous as I walk further away from the gate. Even on my last flight where I got to the airport and through security with 2 hours before takeoff, as I was walking down the hall to check out the shops I had to just keep reminding myself that even if they announced boarding, I could have walked to the gate in less than 5 minutes. You will be fine. They make everything really easy after you get through security. Even that isn't so bad most of the time, except for the lines. Riding the trains in the ATL airport was fun, but I don't think you'll get to do that. I can't remember if they were only once you left the gate area or not...
ToJesusMyHeart Posted May 8, 2013 Posted May 8, 2013 Riding the trains in the ATL airport was fun, but I don't think you'll get to do that. I can't remember if they were only once you left the gate area or not... THE TRAINS ARE THE BEST PART!!! :knight: (you feel like a knight when you ride the train. do it.)
DiscerningCatholic Posted May 8, 2013 Posted May 8, 2013 (edited) THE TRAINS ARE THE BEST PART!!! :knight: (you feel like a knight when you ride the train. do it.) The trains at the Orlando Int'l airport are the BEST THING EVER. It's so funny riding them because there's always people who aren't from Florida who are saying, "Ooh, look at the palm trees!" (The rail goes out over a wood-ish part of the airport grounds to a separate building where the terminals are.) When I hear people saying stuff like that, I'm kinda like :rolleyes: because I hate palm trees. x) Edited May 8, 2013 by DiscerningCatholic
FutureCarmeliteClaire Posted May 8, 2013 Posted May 8, 2013 If you want to have people avoid talking to you, you could pretend to be on your phone having a fight with someone. Or if all else fails...
abrideofChrist Posted May 8, 2013 Posted May 8, 2013 I'm probably going in a t-shirt and skirt with some running shorts packed Did you get a pat down? My understanding is that they always pat down women wearing a skirt or dress. I have female friends who always go through security with slacks (for that reason) and do not do the whole x-ray thing so as not to be an unintentional prn star for people. They prefer the pat down than photos which can circulate for centuries.
Basilisa Marie Posted May 8, 2013 Posted May 8, 2013 The x-ray pictures are deleted as soon as they're "approved" for flight. There's no way of identifying who you are, and they're far from pornographic. But I just have strong feelings about people who hold up the line ahead of me at security so they can have super special screening for seemingly no reason. :) I'm biased, I'll cop to that.
the171 Posted May 8, 2013 Author Posted May 8, 2013 Ok. We found a cheaper flight with no layovers. (We had saved the tickets, but hasn't bought them) so no scariness of ATL airport!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now