An Old School Catholic Message Board

Retreat!

Spem in alium

Spem in alium

I'm heading on a vocations retreat next weekend with an active Benedictine community in my area. It's only for three days (Friday-Sunday), so not too extensive, but I do have a couple of questions:

Do you recommend anything specific I should take? 

How best should I prepare myself mentally and spiritually? I know to be neutral in regards to any outcomes, and though the retreat's not for an extensive period of time I really do want to prepare myself so that I don't lose motivation as I have in the past.

I'm so excited to spend the weekend with the Sisters (I know a few of them and they're all beautiful women)! Thanks everyone, and God bless!

Guest Allie

Flash light

Shower shoes

quiet shoes for indoors

walking shoes

Bible

journal

something to carry bible and journal when you walk.

few bottles of water and wrapped snacks.

(yes I know I'm not very ascetic)

I like to go to confession before going on retreat.  It leaves me clear and empty for the Lord to fill.

praying foryou,

Allie

Spem in alium

Flash light

Shower shoes

quiet shoes for indoors

walking shoes

Bible

journal

(yes I know I'm not very ascetic)

I like to go to confession before going on retreat.  It leaves me clear and empty for the Lord to fill.

praying foryou,

Allie

Thanks so much, Allie. You've really helped! I am hoping to find a small Bible to take (the one I have and use is hefty, so can be troublesome to carry). Confession is nice too, I think I may have the chance to go on the Friday.

TheresaThoma

Thanks so much, Allie. You've really helped! I am hoping to find a small Bible to take (the one I have and use is hefty, so can be troublesome to carry). Confession is nice too, I think I may have the chance to go on the Friday.

The one I have is this one, it is nice an compact and as an added plus has a zipper so you can throw it in a bag and go. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/rsv-ignatius-catholic-bible-ignatius-press/1030249494?ean=9781586171018

Maybe bring some spiritual reading material too, 

Good comfortable modest clothes, with something nice for Mass

TheLordsSouljah

Flash light

Shower shoes

quiet shoes for indoors

walking shoes

Bible

journal

hehe, converted to Australian, thats

-Torch

-Thongs

-Scuffs

-Joggers

-Waterbottle and morning tea.

hehe!

I'd also bring a good spiritual book to reflect on because there are some quiet periods where you just need to focus your energy somewhere, especially if you are restless. Just one though, you probably won't get time for another. I didn't know there were Benedictines around... where are they??

Edit: Oh, and Rosary!!! it's a must. Have an amazing time missie!! :)

Edited by TheLordsSouljah

Spem in alium

The one I have is this one, it is nice an compact and as an added plus has a zipper so you can throw it in a bag and go. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/rsv-ignatius-catholic-bible-ignatius-press/1030249494?ean=9781586171018

Maybe bring some spiritual reading material too, 

Good comfortable modest clothes, with something nice for Mass

I like that Bible a lot. I don't think it will come before Friday, but I'll try and get it as I know there are a few more retreats scheduled for me this year. I do have some light reading I can take (also Benedictine, which fits nicely). I am a little unsure as to what kind of clothes to take - are jeans okay? I usually wear skirts or dresses to Mass, so that's covered. 

hehe, converted to Australian, thats

-Torch

-Thongs

-Scuffs

-Joggers

-Waterbottle and morning tea.

hehe!

I'd also bring a good spiritual book to reflect on because there are some quiet periods where you just need to focus your energy somewhere, especially if you are restless. Just one though, you probably won't get time for another. I didn't know there were Benedictines around... where are they??

Edit: Oh, and Rosary!!! it's a must. Have an amazing time missie!! :)

Thanks for the conversion, m'dear ;) I'll definitely make sure I'll take a book, as I like having time to read. Rosary definitely - I take my beads with me everywhere, so won't forget them in a hurry :hehe2: I'm going to the Sisters of the Good Samaritan in Pennant Hills. I don't feel explicitly called to them at this point, but know a fair few in that community and in others. They're a lovely order. Plus I love St Benedict quite a bit, so anything related to him is exciting for me :)

Spem in alium

Managed to get all my things into a little bag. Joy of joys! :) Unfortunately I can't take my good Bible because it's so heavy, so I'll take along a pocket NIV we have. So excited - Sister is picking me up from the train station in 9 HOURS!!!!