An Old School Catholic Message Board

Disciples Of The Lord Jesus Christ

Kateri89

disc1.jpg

These sisters look fantastic  :saint2:  I applied to a job in TX the other day and if I get it, I think I'm gonna go visit this order.  I love their habits! Have any PMers visited them?

Mary's Child

I did a few years ago. Though the way the Lord would have it I didn't end up spending a lot of time with the sisters because I got sick. So I got there late Saturday night had a quick tour and went to bed, Sunday was quiet for the sisters so I really only talked to the Vocations Director. That night I started getting sick and the next morning I was confined to my room. I would see them when they came to bring me meals or medicine. After a few days I ended up having to go into town to the urgent care I had a really good conversation in the car on the way there and she shared her vocation story with me. As soon as I started getting better it was time to go home.

Sorry I am not very helpful, this certainly was not what I expected when I flew 1,500 miles to be there oh well God has His ways.

littlesister

We were in the same household at FUS for a couple of semesters.  What a treat.  The community is joyful, Franciscan, charismatic, united, full of life and talent.  They are magic with young people, and surely older ones as well.  Evangelization is their call.  The website gives a good picture.

OnlySunshine

I did a few years ago. Though the way the Lord would have it I didn't end up spending a lot of time with the sisters because I got sick. So I got there late Saturday night had a quick tour and went to bed, Sunday was quiet for the sisters so I really only talked to the Vocations Director. That night I started getting sick and the next morning I was confined to my room. I would see them when they came to bring me meals or medicine. After a few days I ended up having to go into town to the urgent care I had a really good conversation in the car on the way there and she shared her vocation story with me. As soon as I started getting better it was time to go home.

Sorry I am not very helpful, this certainly was not what I expected when I flew 1,500 miles to be there oh well God has His ways.

This is off topic, but don't feel bad.  I had the same thing happen to me when I went for my VERY first discernment retreat with the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus in Kirkwood, MO.  I was going to meet my friend there who I only knew from Facebook and I immediately started experiencing stomach aches and was nauseous.  I ended up staying in my room almost the entire retreat.  It was weird because it was like morning sickness in that I was sick all morning but fine in the evening and I would be able to eat normally.  About the only time I saw the Sisters was when Sr. Maris Stella brought me Sprite and Saltine crackers.  I was able to listen to the priest talk and ate dinner with them and the retreatants.  I didn't actually start feeling better until the night before I was to leave.  Everyone else left and I was staying over since it was cheaper.  The nicest thing was that I got to pray with them in their oratory which is VERY rare!  My friend said they usually only allow that if you are a candidate, otherwise, they make you pray in the public part of the choir.  So, at least my trip wasn't entirely in vain.

I look back now and realize that it was anxiety but it DOES happen!  You are not the only one.  :)

Mary's Child

This is off topic, but don't feel bad.  I had the same thing happen to me when I went for my VERY first discernment retreat with the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus in Kirkwood, MO.  I was going to meet my friend there who I only knew from Facebook and I immediately started experiencing stomach aches and was nauseous.  I ended up staying in my room almost the entire retreat.  It was weird because it was like morning sickness in that I was sick all morning but fine in the evening and I would be able to eat normally.  About the only time I saw the Sisters was when Sr. Maris Stella brought me Sprite and Saltine crackers.  I was able to listen to the priest talk and ate dinner with them and the retreatants.  I didn't actually start feeling better until the night before I was to leave.  Everyone else left and I was staying over since it was cheaper.  The nicest thing was that I got to pray with them in their oratory which is VERY rare!  My friend said they usually only allow that if you are a candidate, otherwise, they make you pray in the public part of the choir.  So, at least my trip wasn't entirely in vain.

I look back now and realize that it was anxiety but it DOES happen!  You are not the only one.  :)

Lol yeah it turned out that I had bronchitis :( :X So on the way back I was flying with cough syrup and anti-biotics which the TSA could've made me throw out thank God they didn't. 

I also had an experience on this retreat that was very rare. On Sunday afternoon there was a high wind storm which knocked out the power so that night my room still didn't have power so they moved me to the formation house which never happens until you have applied for Postulancy. But that night was when I got sick and I didn't realize anyone could hear me coughing and stuff until the Novice Mistress came to my door with medicine.