An Old School Catholic Message Board

Existential Darkness

ithinkjesusiscool

ithinkjesusiscool

Do you Catholics experience (or have experienced) a deep inner existential darkness?

But, in all seriousness, yes I have personally experienced this kind of crazy existential angst. It's not something I would encourage anyone to seek, it happens often enough without looking for it.

eagle_eye222001

I would venture to say that everyone experiences it to some extent.  Some more than others of course.

CatholicsAreKewl

I initially read this thinking the OP was a protestant. It came off as jack chick-ish.

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

Yes.  It's not anywhere near as poetic as John of the Cross makes it seem...and he doesn't make it seem that poetic to begin with.

Yes and no. 

I don't really think it happens to me in the same way as it happened to John of the Cross or Mother Teresa. I'm definitely not that holy.. 

I can usually just excuse it as teenager stuff. I take myself too seriously, or let something get to me too much, or if I'm just over tired and cranky.

On a rare occasion, though, I'll find myself in a bit of a Dark Night, one that I can't just shrug off or explain away. I think that personalty, it says a lot about my prayer life. It's almost like God is testing me. "Can you love Me, even when it doesn't 'feel good?' After all, love is not about 'feeling good' but suffering much for the One you love." 

Maybe I'm totally wrong, but at least this is what is scribbled in my journal.  

PhuturePriest

I experienced existential angst once when my store ran out of cranberry Peace Tea. Speaking of that, I think I'll get one. You'll immediately know if they don't have it, trust me...