An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Should I Do?

Mary's Child

Mary's Child

Ok I need some advice. I have never had a spiritual director and many people have told me this is essential. I have been resisting for a couple of years and only recently have found a priest I want to ask. So a few weeks ago I decided that I would ask him the next time I see him well he leaves right after mass but theres confession before hand. I am not sure if he would know who I am if I left a voicemail since he is pretty new at the parish and only knows my first name. Anyway I am getting off track on my question: I have been trying for the last few weeks to get to talk to him in confession he has only said 2 masses I was at and both times I tried to get into confession the first time I was next in line when he stopped hearing confessions, then today I got there extra early to make sure that wouldnt happen and he had been called to the hospital so he didnt hear any confessions.

What I am wondering is does this mean that he isnt the right person for spiritual direction should I keep looking elsewhere or what?

OnlySunshine

Not necessarily.  Priests are extraordinarily busy and are often not available because of schedule constraints.  I've been trying to meet with my pastor for the past few weeks but we had the annual bazaar and the first Sacraments Masses the last few weekends so I am trying to be patient.  Maybe what you should do is call the parish office and ask the office administrator when the priest will be free and if you can schedule an appointment.  :)

SuscipeMeDomine

I would suggest you call the parish office and make an appointment to meet with him "about a personal matter."  This is a more professional way of approaching things.  Confession isn't the right place and frankly, neither is just catching him after Mass sometime.  Meet with him, explain what you are looking for, and give him a chance to ask questions or clarify anything that may need clarification.

emma8201986

I think you do need a spiritual director - it was essential for me.  I had this romantic notion of what I thought religious life would be and my SD made me be much more realistic.  He also gave me many spiritual exercises and reading material that I would never have thought of on my own.  Also, just because a person is your parish priest doesn't mean he is the right SD for you.  Frankly, I am not fond of my parish priest for reasons that I prefer not to disclose here.  There is a nearby Catholic college and I found a compatible SD thru the Newman Center.  An SD is very personal - not unlike a shrink - because you really have to lay your soul bare and be honest.  You may have to go through a few before finding the right person.  And it doesn't have to be a priest - it could be a sister - but I think it should be someone who understands religious life.  My SD belongs to an order so he has a very good understanding of the demands and difficulties as well as the rewards.

maximillion

Without wanting to be harsh, taking seemingly random events as signs of God's working is more about magical thinking than it is about divine inspiration, IMO.

I agree with the Sucipe, make an appointment or drop a note in to the Parish Office with your request. 

inperpetuity

Is there an email address on the bulletin?  That's how we do it at our parish, or whenever we run into them, but generally email or phone is best so they can look at their calendars.

inperpetuity

BTW, is this St. Hasa Perm thing supposed to be a joke or something?  Does anyone here know?

OnlySunshine

BTW, is this St. Hasa Perm thing supposed to be a joke or something?  Does anyone here know?

It's a play on the word "phatmasser."

Thank you Mater! I never knew that..I just thought he made something up and attached it to us! Well..I guess one could say..it is made up as it is!! Lol When I mentioned a SD to my parish priest....he just said..(during confession) that they were hard to come by. Maybe in our area...but that was a turn off to me.

Thank you Mater! I never knew that..I just thought he made something up and attached it to us! Well..I guess one could say..it is made up as it is!! Lol When I mentioned a SD to my parish priest....he just said..(during confession) that they were hard to come by. Maybe in our area...but that was a turn off to me.

Guest Allie

MC,

Is it you who lives close to the Norbertine Canonesses?  If so, maybe the Mother there could help you out with some direction or perhaps another Sister?

Mary's Child

Yes I do, I emailed them asking for a day of retreat and haven't gotten a response yet. So that could be a possibility if I get a reply.