An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Francis 'performs Exorcism?'

xTrishaxLynnx

Where did you get that? I thought the article was particularly good, precisely because they put aside their less than enthusiastic ideas about him.

It's their typical jabs, e.g. "post-Conciliar Church has all but buried Satan..." and "The denial, as usual, l...".

Nihil Obstat

It's their typical jabs, e.g. "post-Conciliar Church has all but buried Satan..." and "The denial, as usual, l...".

They took jabs, for sure. But not at the Holy Father. Not this time.
Mostly directed at Fr. Lombardi, which frankly is quite often warranted...

They took jabs, for sure. But not at the Holy Father. Not this time.
Mostly directed at Fr. Lombardi, which frankly is quite often warranted...

I'll admit I am a little tainted by them. However, with how they articulate is usually fuzzy. Many times they are subtle in their disdain, which can be dangerous to an unsuspecting reader. 

Anyway, about the OP. I don't interpret as an exorcism. Sure, perhaps a demon was expelled. Never known for an exorcism to be spontaneous. But he is the pope.

Edited by Papist

KnightofChrist

Rorate in my view practically praises Pope Francis for the exorcism/blessing.

Fr. Lombardi has repeatedly denied or contradicted Papal statements, and this does cause confusion as stated by Rorate.

Many in authority since Vatican II have tried very hard to buried Satan away, many priests have been punished by mentioning and condemning Satan by name during a sermon.

This is one case where Rorate is pretty close to the truth.

Rorate in my view practically praises Pope Francis for the exorcism/blessing.

Fr. Lombardi has repeatedly denied or contradicted Papal statements, and this does cause confusion as stated by Rorate.

Many in authority since Vatican II have tried very hard to buried Satan away, many priests have been punished by mentioning and condemning Satan by name during a sermon.

This is one case where Rorate is pretty close to the truth.

Irrelevant to the story. 

KnightofChrist

Irrelevant to the story. 

How is it irrelevant? I believe it relevant because for years many have tried to pretend that Satan does not exist and punishing those who dared to bring up his name and condemn him. Now Pope Francis by his words and actions is publicly condemning and warning about the Devil by name, this blessing may indeed be an example of that turning away from denying or hiding away the Devil. If it was indeed a exorcism that too would be very good many Bishops do not even have one exorcists.

Edited by KnightofChrist

How is it irrelevant? I believe it relevant because for years many have tried to pretend that Satan does not exist and punishing those who dared to bring up his name and condemn him. Now Pope Francis by his words and actions is publicly condemning and warning about the Devil by name, this blessing may indeed be an example of that turning away from denying or hiding away the Devil. If it was indeed a exorcism that too would be very good many Bishops do not even have one exorcists.

Sorry. I missed this in the video or article. 

KnightofChrist

Sorry. I missed this in the video or article. 

I guess so, the exorcism if it was an exorcism took place in public, the video is proof of that, Father Gabriele Amorth was quoted in the article that this public blessing was a "true exorcism", and also in the article Rorate notes that since taking office the Pope has repeatedly condemned and warned of the Devil by name. If this was a true exorcism then it furthers the Pope's public words and actions against Satan which Rorate seems to praise.

Edited by KnightofChrist

I guess so, the exorcism if it was an exorcism took place in public, the video is proof of that, Father Gabriele Amorth was quoted in the article that this public blessing was a "true exorcism", and also in the article Rorate notes that since taking office the Pope has repeatedly condemned and warned of the Devil by name. If this was a true exorcism then it furthers the Pope's public words and actions against Satan which Rorate seems to praise.

I did not come away with that interpretation. But as I said before, perhaps Rorate's reputation preceded them.

Nihil Obstat

Pope Francis has specifically mentioned the Devil in his sermons and audiences... Maybe a dozen times now? Quite a lot. That is impressive. It is true that many in the Church have shied away from discussing such things in the past.

KnightofChrist

Well you simply missed it.

This is the where I see Rorate praising the Pope for repeatedly mentioning and warning of the devil.

"We have been covering (here) the remarkable words of Pope Francis"

These are examples from the article that speak to his condemning the Devil publicly.

His words, however, may have just be taken to a whole other, public level.

"That was a true exorcism," he (Fr. Amorth) said of Francis' prayer.

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2013/04/francis-again-mentions-devil.html

If they meant to be sincere, then I admit my impression was wrong. But my experience with them has me very skeptical. 

Nihil Obstat

I was also not impressed with their initial coverage of the election, and they certainly make no secret that they do not believe Pope Francis is on board with the ideals of traditionalism. But I think they have demonstrated here that they are more than willing to give credit where credit is due, and recognize the good things Pope Francis can, has, and will do.

morostheos

From what priests have told me, any prayer or blessing that requests deliverance from evil is a form of minor exorcism, so of course it was a true (minor) exorcism. However, it doesn't appear to have been a major exorcism, performed in accordance with the formal rite. If Pope Francis laid his hands on this man's head and prayed an "Our Father" that would count as an exorcism in the broad sense. 

Oddly enough, I've just finished reading a few books about the reality, explanations and Church teaching behind exorcisms. Even then, though, I can't claim any expertise. From what I've read, anyone who is genuinely possessed will be disturbed by anyone praying over them, even another lay person.

Was it an exorcism? Maybe? I'll remember to ask His Holiness when I see him next... :)