An Old School Catholic Message Board

Psychology Exam For Community Entrance.

VeniJesuAmorMi

VeniJesuAmorMi

JM+JT

Praised be Jesus Christ!

:wave:

I had a question concerning getting a psychological exam for a community application. I found a catholic psychologist in my state but I know the expense may be a difficulty. However I was wondering how others go about finding someone to give them the exam for this purpose and what could be a typical cost to have this done? I don't have any knowledge about this at all, so any information will be helpful to know how to go about doing this. Thanks! :)

Sister Marie

Many communities send you to someone they know who always does their entrants psychological examinations.  This way the person knows what the community expects as far as the tests are concerned and the feedback.  Did they give you any more information about the psychological testing?

HopefulBride

I was fortunate that the person who did psych exams for the diocese lived in my city. I also had pretty good insurance though my employer as they paid for most of it. My cost was about $125.00. I know SrE's insirance did kot cover and it came to almost $1,000.00. I would check to see if you can get it covered. Or maybe try to fundraise for it...

OnlySunshine

When I had my psych eval done, I was blessed to have my pastor pay for it, otherwise, it would have cost me about $200!  I was sent to the psychologist who completes the evals for applicants who are applying to the seminary.  I was the first woman he had ever interviewed so he was trying some new questions out.  Unfortunately, the results were not in my favor since I have to continue seeing a psychiatrist and taking medication but it was good otherwise.  Be forwarned that they can ask some uncomfortable questions but they understand your difficulty in answering personal questions.  Good psychologists will be tactful and patient.  :)

VeniJesuAmorMi

Prayers for all of you; may God reward you for the replies. :)

This isn't part of the application, as most Discalced Carmelite communities don't require a psychological exam. This was recommended to me from a priest that said it would help my discernment with communities because of a difficulty I had in a previous community. I've been so thankful that the community I'm interested in is open to get to know me before making a judgment, and then if I did get an application and Mother wanted this then at least I would have it done. I could really see how this could be an uncomfortable situation (seeing a psychologist), but if this is what I would need then I'm more than happy to do it. I'm very motivated to do what I need to, to go forward in my discernment. I believe this very strongly, but more importantly this is all in His hands and at some time and in some way everything will come together. Please say a prayer for me. I'll be sending out a letter to Reverend Mother sometime within the next week and I hope that when I hear back from her she will still be interested to get to know me more. Thanks so much. :)

Sister Marie

This isn't part of the application, as most Discalced Carmelite communities don't require a psychological exam. This was recommended to me from a priest that said it would help my discernment with communities because of a difficulty I had in a previous community. I've been so thankful that the community I'm interested in is open to get to know me before making a judgment, and then if I did get an application and Mother wanted this then at least I would have it done. I could really see how this could be an uncomfortable situation (seeing a psychologist), but if this is what I would need then I'm more than happy to do it. I'm very motivated to do what I need to, to go forward in my discernment. I believe this very strongly, but more importantly this is all in His hands and at some time and in some way everything will come together. Please say a prayer for me. I'll be sending out a letter to Reverend Mother sometime within the next week and I hope that when I hear back from her she will still be interested to get to know me more. Thanks so much. :)

Might I suggest then finding a sister psychologist who might be able to help you.  Those tests are very expensive but possibly you could meet with her and talk about the experience for a low rate.  If you had a difficult experience more likely than not you need to talk about it more than be tested.  There are a lot of religious women who have backgrounds in psychology and counseling.  The Sisters of Mercy have a lot of sisters who work in that field and there are many of them around. I don't know where you live but I would start there and do some research.  I'm sure a sister wouldn't mind meeting with you once they hear your story.

OnlySunshine

It was a good and interesting idea from the priest.  The only problem I could foresee with this idea is if the community wanted to have the psychologist ask questions specific to their charism, community life, and apostolate -- which most communities do.  The psychologist who did mine wanted to talk to the Provincial Superior to see if there was anything she wanted to know before the evaluation was finished so he could meet the requirements.  If this happens and you've already had it done, it means another trip.

With all that in mind, what about taking a Myers-Briggs personality test or another type of personality test?  I took the Myers-Briggs before and I'm an ISFJ (The Nurturer/Guardian).  It gave me really good insight to who I am and what I should work on.  The only problem with any psychological test is there is room for error.  They are not 100% accurate and shouldn't be used by the community (or you) as the black/white portrait of your personality.  Any good community will want to conduct a personal interview and/or have you come for visits to gauge who you are as a person.

If you decide to have the psychological eval done anyway, you might want to look into the Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma, MI.  They do the evals for the Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration (SSFPA).  Unless I'm mistaken, they do not charge anything if a community asks for the eval but they will probably charge a nominal fee if you want it personally done.

Hope this helps!  :like:

domenica_therese

I think a lot of Catholic psychologists will lower the rate or do pro-bono depending on need. If you aren't doing it at the behest of a community I feel they would be more reluctant to do that though.