An Old School Catholic Message Board

Little Sisters Of The Poor

Kateri89

I'm not discerning with them but I am trying to get a nursing job with them. Has anyone worked/volunteered in one of their homes? Its definitely a holy struggle finding a nursing job where my conscience won't be violated and these Sisters seem faithful to the Church's teachings on end of life care. Thoughts?

Katiebobatie94

I<3Franciscans and I will be working at their Queen of Peace home in Queens, NY starting this Tuesday. I have met/been on retreat with them before; but I have never volunteered with them before. I<3fran has for most of her life.......they are amazing!

Spem in alium

Never worked with them but am interested in their community. The Sister I've been in contact with sounds truly lovely. Often I hear that the work they do is very challenging, but that just makes them even more interesting to me. I'd definitely recommend you take a look at them.

Edited by Spem in alium

TheresaThoma

I have volunteered with them and they are wonderful. I have friends who work for them and they really like it.

littlesister

Below is the LSP Philosophy. Attaching it wouldn't work, so it's been pasted instead.  It should answer your good question about conscience protection and fidelity to the church. Your application will be welcome !

Also, a reminder for anyone interested who is college age or young adult : the Spring into Service live-in volunteer / possibly employed program is available for the summer.

Our Philosophy

As Little Sisters of the Poor, we care for the elderly poor in the spirit of humble service we have received from our foundress, Saint Jeanne Jugan.  We welcome the elderly as we would Jesus Christ himself and serve them with love and respect until God calls them home.

• We welcome low-income elderly who are at least 65 years of age regardless of race, religion, or national origin.
  • We comfort, care for, and accompany the elderly whom God has placed on our path.
  • We foster a home away from home, and strive to have Residents feel like part of “the family," while respecting their freedom and privacy.
  • We assure secure, attractive and clean surroundings and allow Residents to decorate their rooms in their own personal style as space and safety permit 
  •  
  • We strive to provide the best level of medical care possible, but we go beyond that to minister to our Residents emotionally and spiritually, making them happy and communicating to them the tenderness and mercy of God.
  •  
  • We embrace the collaboration of many dedicated staff members, volunteers and benefactors who are the extended hands and hearts of the Little Sisters and who exemplify the mission of Saint Jeanne Jugan.
  •  
  • We create a loving and lively home, encouraging an active lifestyle. We believe that giving the Residents the opportunity to participate in recreational, social, and volunteer activities—no matter how small—fosters the feeling of belonging and being useful and involved.
  •  
  • We provide for the Residents’ spiritual needs by offering Mass daily and rosary as well as pastoral care. Clergy and ministers from all faiths are welcome.
  •  
  • The compassionate care and accompaniment of the dying is the summit of our ministry, and it is our goal that no one die alone. We assure a prayerful and attentive presence to those who have entered the dying process. The elderly derive strength and peace from this tradition.
  •  
  • We adhere to all the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church, especially those concerning the sanctity of human life. We reject all forms of euthanasia and assisted suicide, and we protect our Residents from these practices, as well as from all forms of abuse and neglect.

Thanks Sister! I emailed the HR rep for a couple of the homes and haven't heard anything yet. I might call though if I don't hear anything soon :)

littlesister

If HR is swamped and doesn't come through, contact the Little Sisters directly.  E-mail will work, but telephone would be faster.