An Old School Catholic Message Board

Any Ideas?

Spem in alium

Spem in alium

Next Wednesday I'm visiting the convent for evening prayer and dinner. Super, super excited!

I think it would be nice to take something to share with/give to the Sisters, especially since each time I've come to see them they've helped me out with transport, but I'm not entirely sure what would be appropriate. The only idea I have runs along the lines of something edible... :)

What do you think? Any good ideas? My mum suggested chocolate, but I'm not entirely sure. As far as I know, there are seven or eight sisters in the community I'm visiting, so I'd like to get something substantial they can all enjoy.

Totally Franciscan

Fruit baskets are always welcome!  Chocolates too!  Perhaps some homemade cookies!  Have a wonderful visit!

Spem in alium

Fruit baskets are always welcome!  Chocolates too!  Perhaps some homemade cookies!  Have a wonderful visit!

MMM, cookies.  Or you could bake some banana bread.

Oh yeah, homemade stuff! I didn't think of that. I love to bake. Thank you! :)

Spem in alium

People love homemade things.

I think they're great :) I usually try and make gifts for people rather than buy them. 

When I was on my live-in fruit was always a welcome gift. Normally only the fruits they grow were available so when someone gave a gift of strawberries or cherries or something like that it was a wonderful treat. 

maximillion

When I was in the convent these are the things we appreciated most - not in any particular order of importance.

Stamps

Stationary items

Cheese

Fruit

Anything baked but unless it is a feast avoid sweet stuff and make sure other dietary requirements are met.

Wine - if permitted.

Cider or fruit juices (not Squash)

Flavoured or unusual teas, herb teas and fruit teas, Instant hot chocolate in those little packets.

Cut flowers for the alter or a pot plant.

Seeds, especially heritage varieties for vegetables.

Yarn or art and craft materials.

Spem in alium

Thank you everyone!

I am visiting tomorrow and can't wait. I am thinking I will most likely take a mixture of cookies, banana bread/cake, chocolates, tea and some nice writing paper and envelopes. I have time to bake tomorrow so will probably make some things.

I also need to think ahead to the weekend - a Sister from another community has invited me to spend the night with them. I will probably prepare the same thing as for tomorrow :)

Spem in alium

My offering was a hit!

I organised:

- Biscuits

- Cashews

- Cheese

- Jam

- Chocolates

- Shortbread

- Tea

And just before I left home, my mum suggested I pick some flowers from my garden and some lemons from our tree. 

They loved it all, especially the flowers :)

Spem in alium

That sounds like a wonderful offering!

Thank you! I was really happy they liked it because I really had no idea what to take. I'm visiting another convent this weekend so will try do something similar.