Brother Adam Posted May 30, 2004 Posted May 30, 2004 Okay, I just finished reading the General Instruction on the Roman Missal and I guess I am a little surprised that it was no where near as "legalistic" as I expected. LOL. It wasn't nearly as long as I expected something like that would be. Cool. Okay. What's next here on the list... hehe. but yeah, as I continue to learn what it means to be "Catholic" I just see more and more of my remaining internal "fears" extinguished.
geetarplayer Posted May 30, 2004 Posted May 30, 2004 :ph34r: TITHING!! AAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!! :ph34r: LOL, just kidding. Rock on, Bro! You have a one-up on me! -Mark
littleflower+JMJ Posted May 30, 2004 Posted May 30, 2004 see?! we're not those scary monsters like some peeps can accuse us of being!!! we dont bite. :ph34r:
Sinner Posted May 30, 2004 Posted May 30, 2004 I have been known to bite on occasion.............. ..............................but I usually don't break the skin. :bugeyes:
littleflower+JMJ Posted May 30, 2004 Posted May 30, 2004 okay i forgot to add....only when we're hungry.
hopeful1 Posted May 30, 2004 Posted May 30, 2004 intresting you mention it's not as legalistic as you thought it would be, Brother Adam. not to hijack your thread, but is interpreting the GIRM kinda like reading the Constitution, in the respect people have usually have a liberal or conservative interpretation of what it says, except with what is done in the mass, instead of federal law? not sure if that analogy made any sense, but it seems to be the impression i'm getting.
azaelia Posted May 30, 2004 Posted May 30, 2004 (edited) [quote]okay i forgot to add....only when we're hungry.[/quote] I tend to nip. Edited May 30, 2004 by azaelia
p0lar_bear Posted May 30, 2004 Posted May 30, 2004 What next? Well let's see, you've read the Bible, the Catechism, the GIRM, and a number of Scott Hahn books.... Well, if you haven't read [u]A Map of Life[/u] by Frank Sheed, I would recommend that. Umm...my favorite theologian is Henri De Lubac, so I would recommend [u]Catholicism and the Common Destiny of Man[/u] by him. Neither of these are official Church documents, of couse, but I think they are very good books that you would benefit from reading. If you haven't read the documents of Vatican II, you should. Any of the encyclicals or other documents by JPII (in particular, [i]Fides et Ratio[/i], [i]Ecclesia in America[/i], [i]Evangelium Vitae[/i] (on the sanctity of life), [i]Centesimus Annus[/i] (on Catholic social teaching)). Oh, and the Wednesday audiences of JPII have been put into a series of books on the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit, the Church, Mary, and one other (I can't remember what...). There is also the [i]Theology of the Body[/i]. Also, while I wouldn't recommend the Code of Canon Law as a whole, you might benefit from reading the portion on the sacraments. (This is rather legalistic and so difficult to read at times, but so are civil law books...doesn't make them less necessary...). You can PM or email me if you get stuck on something. (you can get my email from your wife).
Brother Adam Posted May 30, 2004 Author Posted May 30, 2004 [b]Well, if you haven't read [u]A Map of Life[/u] by Frank Sheed, I would recommend that. Umm...my favorite theologian is Henri De Lubac, so I would recommend [u]Catholicism and the Common Destiny of Man[/u] by him. Neither of these are official Church documents, of couse, but I think they are very good books that you would benefit from reading.[/b] Can't say I've read either of those. [b]If you haven't read the documents of Vatican II, you should. Any of the encyclicals or other documents by JPII (in particular, [i]Fides et Ratio[/i], [i]Ecclesia in America[/i], [i]Evangelium Vitae[/i] (on the sanctity of life), [i]Centesimus Annus[/i] (on Catholic social teaching)). [/b] Yep, read those too. [b]There is also the [i]Theology of the Body[/i].[/b] Yep, well...skimmed through anyway. [b] You can PM or email me if you get stuck on something. (you can get my email from your wife).[/b] Thank you.
foundsheep Posted May 30, 2004 Posted May 30, 2004 [quote name='littleflower' date='JMJ+May 29 2004, 09:49 PM'] see?! we're not those scary monsters like some peeps can accuse us of being!!! we dont bite. :ph34r: [/quote] Just dont be around me when Im Hungry.
Aloysius Posted May 30, 2004 Posted May 30, 2004 [quote name='hopeful1' date='May 29 2004, 11:26 PM'] intresting you mention it's not as legalistic as you thought it would be, Brother Adam. not to hijack your thread, but is interpreting the GIRM kinda like reading the Constitution, in the respect people have usually have a liberal or conservative interpretation of what it says, except with what is done in the mass, instead of federal law? not sure if that analogy made any sense, but it seems to be the impression i'm getting. [/quote] i donno... the GIRM seems pretty clear on stuff. i think the non-legalistic-sense he got out of it was that it doesn't just list a bunch of rules, but explains stuff about the Mass as it goes along. more poetic than legalistic. but it's still fairly clear on what should be goin down. Pax
Mrs. Bro. Adam Posted May 30, 2004 Posted May 30, 2004 (edited) .. Edited May 30, 2004 by Mrs. Bro. Adam
Brother Adam Posted May 30, 2004 Author Posted May 30, 2004 ^What he (Al) said (sorry, my wife didn't log out again)
Carson Weber Posted May 30, 2004 Posted May 30, 2004 [quote name='Brother Adam' date='May 30 2004, 11:58 AM'] I would recommend Catholicism and the Common Destiny of Man [/quote] Let's not kill Adam. Adam, you've read the GIRM? Good heavens. * Carson hands Adam a copy of the CCL just to see what will happen...
Brother Adam Posted May 30, 2004 Author Posted May 30, 2004 [quote name='Carson Weber' date='May 30 2004, 04:51 PM'] Let's not kill Adam. Adam, you've read the GIRM? Good heavens. * Carson hands Adam a copy of the CCL just to see what will happen... [/quote] Send it my way. Consdering how long it is though, it's likely to become like the Catechism though. I haven't read every single paragraph, but overall....probably a good 60-70% throughout. I've seen it online and just can't stand reading books online. They need to have pages and ink. Why do you say "Let's not kill Adam"?
p0lar_bear Posted May 31, 2004 Posted May 31, 2004 Ah com'on Carson, can't we kill him just a little? Seriously, De Lubac may be a little advanced from most people, but I think Bro. Adam would do OK with it.
Mrs. Bro. Adam Posted June 2, 2004 Posted June 2, 2004 [quote name='Brother Adam' date='May 30 2004, 01:58 PM'] ^What he (Al) said (sorry, my wife didn't log out again) [/quote]
cmotherofpirl Posted June 2, 2004 Posted June 2, 2004 Somebody send him [i]Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma[/i] by Ott.
Mrs. Bro. Adam Posted June 3, 2004 Posted June 3, 2004 Oh dear! Here comes another hour discussion about something I haven't read!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now