An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Would You Do?

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

I just thought I'd ask because of curiosity to see what others would do in this situation. 

I mentioned on another thread that I was in contact with a religious community before I stopped actively discerning and the Provincial Superior invited me on retreat even AFTER I told her about my health problems and medication needs.  She stated that this was absolutely not a problem to them and they'd be happy to have me try the life if I desired to enter.

However, there is a problem.  For one thing, there are only 2 Sisters left in the USA.  Some of you probably know which order I'm talking about but I don't want to name names.  The Sisters are much older than me and they only have one apostolate though they plan to incorporate more when they receive more members.  Last time I emailed the Superior, she said that one woman (who I believe is middle aged?) asked for entrance but I don't know if she is actually entering or not. They have their Motherhouse overseas which has many more members and, apparently, they send one Sister over for a period of time to help out in the apostolate and convent.

I'm just not sure how I'd feel entering an order with only two members. I'm not sure if the Superior is just admitting ANYONE and my medication would be a problem in a normal circumstance but they are overlooking it because they are desperate for new members in the USA -- OR -- they really think I could fit in there.  I should mention I've never visited before.  I don't want to enter just ANYWHERE.

What would you do if you were in my shoes (forgetting the fact that I'm no longer actively discerning)?

maximillion

You feel the call to Religious Life so strongly Mater, and who is to know what would come of further enquiries, which could be that rather than active discernment?

I think I understand what you are getting at, saying that you don't want to enter just because these Sisters are desperate for anyone, but what if He has a plan for you there? This must be somewhere in your thoughts because you wouldn't even be thinking of it otherwise.

I am an outspoken person and so MY personal approach would be to go on a visit and let it be know, in a subtle way (which would be hard for me but maybe easier for you) that you are not looking to be accepted 'at any price' but only after careful discernment on both sides.

I know that this also raises the question of a further possible disappointment, but if you hold on to this not being formal discernment - hard I know, but maybe possible, and are open to Him, who knows what may come of it.

If you don't go, will this be forever in your mind that you didn't try that one last time? If so then I think you know what follows. If you can shrug your shoulders and walk on by, then do that (prayerfully!)

My prayers and support are with you whatever the outcome.

Totally Franciscan

Mater, there are several things I see with this situation.  First, you probably will not have peace unless you go and see what the order is all about, their apostolate, meet the sisters, and see if you feel at home.  Second, have you thought about what would happen to you IF you joined this community, and then the USA sisters die, since as you say there are only two, and they are much older?  My thought is that you would be sent to the motherhouse overseas.  Is that something that you could live with?  Lots of things to think about.  Like you, I have my antenna up and wondering about this communiy, but then you will never know unless you go and visit. 

VeniJesuAmorMi

If I kept thinking about a community I would contact them and go for a visit. Then this way you will meet them and get to ask them questions about their life and then they'll get to know you also. After that you will probably know within you if you should discern further with them or not. The retreat would be nice anyways to spend that time in prayer about discernment, whether it would be with that community or not. :)

Actually Mater -- a retreat with the sisters may be what you need.  It'll settle the issue with them (if you are called there, you will know; if you aren't it'll support your decision).  Besides you may get a new insight from it.

inperpetuity

What everyone else said, and I think if it were me, I would go on the retreat as long as there were no major obstacles to getting there like it would be a big financial hardship or something. 

OnlySunshine

Please keep me in your prayers!  As soon as I have some extra money, I am going just as a casual visit.  If it turns into something else, then I'll proceed from there.  Thank you for all your replies.  I really have a lot to think about.

FFI Griswold

Ave Maria!

I don't know what community with two you're referring to, but it does currently describe the Handmaids of the Immaculate, somewhat like a tertiary branch of the Franciscans of the Immaculate, but I think their life is more open to older vocations. They live in a convent in Massachusetts, help the local parish, help the first/second orders, are directed by our priests, etc.

Mary, Mother of Vocations, pray for us! Ave Maria!

In the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

fra John Paul

salveregina10

Great question, I ran into this myself in some ways.  I fully agree with those who encouraged you to take the risk.  It sounds like you feel a desire, and you need to check it out.  God can use even things that seem unusual or risky.  I was in one congregation and had to take the risk of moving to another one when I knew God was calling me to be a missionary.  Many of the things we do out of love for our Beloved are not rational, but if they bring us closer to His heart, then it's all worth it in the end.  I will be praying for you!

OnlySunshine

Ave Maria!

I don't know what community with two you're referring to, but it does currently describe the Handmaids of the Immaculate, somewhat like a tertiary branch of the Franciscans of the Immaculate, but I think their life is more open to older vocations. They live in a convent in Massachusetts, help the local parish, help the first/second orders, are directed by our priests, etc.

Mary, Mother of Vocations, pray for us! Ave Maria!
In the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

fra John Paul

No, it is not them. :)

Chiquitunga

Will be keeping you in prayer Mater :pray: I would do the same, and agree with all of the above :like:

maximillion

Yes, prayers, this seems like your usual measured and prayerful response Mater, and He will use the time to His purpose anyway.

Give it a try Mater! You don't have any thing to lose, and more to gain with knowledge either way! :) PM me with a e-mail addy and I can send you some lovely pictures! ;-)