An Old School Catholic Message Board

Phirst Photos Of Sr. Joseph Maria's Solemn Profession

Guest Allie

Sr Mary Catharine OP

But FutureSister wasn't there! :cry:

Two of our aspirants were. I hope to get up more photos but right now we're all happy-tired!

Sr. Joseph Maria's family got in this morning at 1AM (and she even visited with them!) and they left this afternoon to go back to Texas. She even had family come from Vietnam!

It was such a beautiful day! Deo gratias! I am praying that many of you will say your Fiat to Jesus as Sr. Joseph Maria did today.

Great pics, hope to see more. Sister Mary Catharine it must be so different for young women entering religion today, and having to give up the internet the iphone all of that? Do you think that adds to the initial sense of disorientation? How long does it take to overcome it?

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Dear Dame, the young women who have entered haven't had too much difficulty giving up the internet and phone. Probably the phone is harder. iphones are new so that is still a learning curve for us as to how women adjust. I think that for most women, they know it won't be in their lives for awhile so it's not a total shock. Most sisters express both relief at the freedom they now enjoy but still they miss the access. We allow postulants and novices to use the internet on a situation by situation basis. For example, doing taxes, looking up driving directions (since for most, every place is a total unknown, even the dentist) or something for a feast day, like a song or something like that.

I don't think disorientation is the word. I think it's just an adjustment. But when you are entering the cloister you are coming because you want to become totally, irrevocably God's so it's understood that letting go of the comfortable and known is part of the letting go to become His.

I think not using phone and internet is harder for aspirants. BTW, we have 2 coming next week!