~*AnCoRa33*~ Posted May 31, 2004 Posted May 31, 2004 Hee hee... those are funny!! Around my house we do... different things... At Christmas, we are not allowed to sing Christmas Carols until Thanksgiving AFTER my Dad puts the "Tupperware" tape on and we stop singing at Ephiany!! We don't even THINK of putting up decorations!!! when we see any of those people who have stuff up we yell "SANTALERT!!!" and laugh at them "MUHAHAHAHAHAHA:lol: " !!! On Christmas Eve, we go to Mass, out to dinner then my Dad dresses up as Santa Claus and gives us p.j.s . It's my job EVERY YEAR to pull down "Santa's Beard" (then when Daddy comes back we joke about how he misses SC EVERY YEAR!!!) Then all of us kids (7) sleep in the same room and we all wake up at the same time (3:00) and WAIT for 4 AGONIZING HOURS!!!!!!!!! Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm... that's alll I can think of... I KNOW I have more... hee hee... Oh yeah, it's not really tradition but... Okay, my Dad got this Movie (Hunt for Red October) a long time ago but nobody ever wanted to watch iit with him... so it stayed in the wrapper for 5 YEARS!!! It just became the family joke... we would NEVER, EVER watch the Hunt for Red October!!!!!! I still haven't!!! But recently, my little brother broke down and watched it with him!!!!!! Then my sister is away at a boarding school and they were watching their monthly movie and... guess what it was!!!!! Out of obedience she watched it... BUT to make it worse... she said that it was REALLY GOOD!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! BUT, I'm rambleing on... Goodbye!!!!!!!
~*AnCoRa33*~ Posted May 31, 2004 Posted May 31, 2004 WOW!!!!! I am SO SORRY that it was THAT LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IcePrincessKRS Posted May 31, 2004 Posted May 31, 2004 :rotfl: Those stories are great! My friend Helen and I roomed together our freshman year of college, and we always used to yell "John Lynch" at eachother for a greeting... I had thought of another one but now I forget.... I'll have to come back later and post when I remember....
Sojourner Posted May 31, 2004 Posted May 31, 2004 My family doesn't really have any good traditions, I don't think. But these are classics. Particularly the "11/11; 11:11" one, HSMom. I love it!!!!! You can include me in it this year. I'll PM you with my phone number.
daugher-of-Mary Posted May 31, 2004 Posted May 31, 2004 My family is just generally weird. Most of our traditions revolve around singing...we're known for breaking into random four-part harmony just for the heck of it. The "Armadillo" song (Flanders and Swann) is a favorite, because dad sang that to mum while they were courting (yes, courting not dating ). Competitive UNO games are traditional as well...they can get quite vicious.
cmotherofpirl Posted May 31, 2004 Posted May 31, 2004 (edited) The first warm spring rain my kids would go out and have a rain dance. Edited June 1, 2004 by cmotherofpirl
+GOD_iS_mOvInG+ Posted May 31, 2004 Posted May 31, 2004 Those are hillarious, and sum hillariosly stupid! (no offence.. ) I don't have any traditions, but.. Ash Wensday: [quote]A wierd superstition our high school soccer team had was whenever there were train tracks to pass over, we had to bring our feet off the ground and touch a screw somewhere in/on the school bus wall.[/quote] OMG we do the same thing exept it is in band! Everytime we cross over train tracks, we have to yell "screw!" and..ya touch a screw..I heard it was b/c some1 broke an emergency escape window a long time ago, and a screw fell out, when we crossed over the train tracks! I'm gussin' it was to make fun of the person who did it at first, and it stuck all the years later..
homeschoolmom Posted May 31, 2004 Author Posted May 31, 2004 [quote name='Sojourner' date='May 30 2004, 08:37 PM'] My family doesn't really have any good traditions, I don't think. But these are classics. Particularly the "11/11; 11:11" one, HSMom. I love it!!!!! You can include me in it this year. I'll PM you with my phone number. [/quote] Yeah... a convert!!! You realize, of course, our 11:11 is your 12:11!
Colleen Posted May 31, 2004 Posted May 31, 2004 [quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='May 30 2004, 08:52 PM'] My family is just generally weird. Most of our traditions revolve around singing...we're known for breaking into random four-part harmony just for the heck of it. [/quote] Sounds like my family, lol!
IcePrincessKRS Posted May 31, 2004 Posted May 31, 2004 Does anyone else see who can burp first when going through tunnels? A friend of mine got us doing it once on a road trip....
azaelia Posted May 31, 2004 Posted May 31, 2004 [quote name='IcePrincessKRS' date='May 30 2004, 11:33 PM'] Does anyone else see who can burp first when going through tunnels? A friend of mine got us doing it once on a road trip.... [/quote] Nope, can't say I have. But when my family lived in RI and we'd drive up to Maine to visit my grandparents, there was this bridge we'd cross from NH into Maine. Right in the middle we'd start cheering and hitting the roof of the car. We loved Maine then Naw, I still love it. Just not the part I live in
musturde Posted May 31, 2004 Posted May 31, 2004 On Some specific saints days we actually celebrate. Some dance on the street and make music, others do fireworks. If your name is the name of a saint you get a cake cut for you and people say "Happy Birthday" to ya. But that's something done in Lebanon. We don't do that in US.
Ash Wednesday Posted May 31, 2004 Posted May 31, 2004 [quote]OMG we do the same thing exept it is in band! Everytime we cross over train tracks, we have to yell "screw!" and..ya touch a screw..I heard it was b/c some1 broke an emergency escape window a long time ago, and a screw fell out, when we crossed over the train tracks! I'm gussin' it was to make fun of the person who did it at first, and it stuck all the years later..[/quote] a-HA!!!! So it wasn't some random thing these girls made up. They yelled "screw!" on our bus, too. It must be a bizarre thing that circulates in school buses across the country!
lilac_angel Posted May 31, 2004 Posted May 31, 2004 (edited) I can't even begin to explain the way my family (and extended family) sings 'Happy Birthday'. You have to see it to believe it. Oh, and me, siblings, & the cousins all going up into my grandma's upstairs and playing poker on Christmas Eve, using old dusty hardcover BOOKS as poker chips. When the game gets a little heated, we slam the books on the table, and someone at this point usually gets blamed for ruining Christmas (usually in jest). The books/poker chips have these amusing, obscure titles that makes the betting even more fun. Coupled with the fact that my grandma's upstairs is an allergic's nightmare, filled with microbes... it's always an interesting experience. It's like this tiny old house, but the family seems to grow every year...there's like nowhere to move, but it's still got charm. Edited May 31, 2004 by lilac_angel
Ash Wednesday Posted May 31, 2004 Posted May 31, 2004 I think we should have the 11:11!!!! 11/11!!!!!!! and post that on the phatmass board for Mr. and Mrs. Homeschool during their designated time zone where it is 11:11. I think a lot of us want to be in on the fun! All post that and pictures of Snoopy, Linus, Lucy, Charlie Brown, etc. dancing. I'm telling you, I'm going to do it.
homeschoolmom Posted May 31, 2004 Author Posted May 31, 2004 [quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='May 31 2004, 05:27 AM'] I think we should have the 11:11!!!! 11/11!!!!!!! and post that on the phatmass board for Mr. and Mrs. Homeschool during their designated time zone where it is 11:11. I think a lot of us want to be in on the fun! All post that and pictures of Snoopy, Linus, Lucy, Charlie Brown, etc. dancing. I'm telling you, I'm going to do it. [/quote] :wub:
~*AnCoRa33*~ Posted May 31, 2004 Posted May 31, 2004 oh yeah, whenever my friends and I start gossiping, we yell "I SMELL PICKLES!!!!!!!!!!" ...then we laugh at all the people staring at us... BUT we stop gossiping!!
homeschoolmom Posted May 31, 2004 Author Posted May 31, 2004 [quote name='~*AnCoRa33*~' date='May 31 2004, 09:41 AM'] oh yeah, whenever my friends and I start gossiping, we yell "I SMELL PICKLES!!!!!!!!!!" ...then we laugh at all the people staring at us... BUT we stop gossiping!! [/quote] :crackup:
azaelia Posted June 1, 2004 Posted June 1, 2004 [quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='May 31 2004, 06:27 AM'] I think we should have the 11:11!!!! 11/11!!!!!!! and post that on the phatmass board for Mr. and Mrs. Homeschool during their designated time zone where it is 11:11. I think a lot of us want to be in on the fun! All post that and pictures of Snoopy, Linus, Lucy, Charlie Brown, etc. dancing. I'm telling you, I'm going to do it. [/quote] I'm with you Ash!
cmotherofpirl Posted June 1, 2004 Posted June 1, 2004 [quote name='musturde' date='May 31 2004, 01:30 AM'] On Some specific saints days we actually celebrate. Some dance on the street and make music, others do fireworks. If your name is the name of a saint you get a cake cut for you and people say "Happy Birthday" to ya. But that's something done in Lebanon. We don't do that in US. [/quote] My kids always had Saint day parties.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now