An Old School Catholic Message Board

Society Of The Body Of Christ

SNJM

Has anybody seen the video of Sister Anne Sophie or her website? Is this a "real " community in communion with Rome? I think she is in Texas. I found her video on Vimeo. She is asking for funds for monastic stalls, but I don't see any other Sisters/Nuns. I hope someone can help me. Someone I am seeing for Spiritual Direction seems to be very interested, but she has not heard back and I'm not quite sure if this community is in communion with Rome, though her website does have a picture of clergy on her site.

Yes, I have urged her to contact the Sisters of Life.

Thanks.

OnlySunshine

Her website claims that she is a Public Association of the Faithful but I can find no mention of her on the Diocese website for Corpus Christi, TX.  dUSt has asked that, when in doubt, we do not post about religious communities with no official recognition.  :unsure:

Mater,
I was not promoting this community, but hoping someone here would know something, and of course, since I didn't know and parts of it looks very legitimate - I didn't know what to think & I certainly didn't want to slander anybody. Apologies all around if I disobeyed a "phatmass" rule.

OnlySunshine

Mater,
I was not promoting this community, but hoping someone here would know something, and of course, since I didn't know and parts of it looks very legitimate - I didn't know what to think & I certainly didn't want to slander anybody. Apologies all around if I disobeyed a "phatmass" rule.

I'm sorry if I came off strong.  I don't think you've been here since dUSt instituted that rule.  Just wanted to make you aware.  ;)

I read that rule, but I honestly wasn't promoting or trying to go against it. I use this website A LOT for resources as my Spiritual Direction work seems to be mostly centered on vocations. I have received a lot of great help here, even though I don't post on a regular basis. I currently have two clients looking into Carmel; one is older so I think she is going to end up in England. The other is in communication with the Carmelites of Alhambra, which seem like a lovely community. So far, the men I am seeing are ALL interested in monastic life - a fact I find interesting. Anyway, all the posts here are very interesting and helpful and again, apologies to the moderators if I broke a rule. I assure you it was not intentional.

OnlySunshine

I read that rule, but I honestly wasn't promoting or trying to go against it. I use this website A LOT for resources as my Spiritual Direction work seems to be mostly centered on vocations. I have received a lot of great help here, even though I don't post on a regular basis. I currently have two clients looking into Carmel; one is older so I think she is going to end up in England. The other is in communication with the Carmelites of Alhambra, which seem like a lovely community. So far, the men I am seeing are ALL interested in monastic life - a fact I find interesting. Anyway, all the posts here are very interesting and helpful and again, apologies to the moderators if I broke a rule. I assure you it was not intentional.

I really wasn't trying to insinuate that you were going against it.  I was merely trying to make you aware of the rule.  It is up to dUSt and RoaminCatholic whether or not you broke the rule.  Sorry again. 

ToJesusMyHeart

On March 25, 1994, Bishop Rene Gracida, now bishop emeritus of Corpus Christi, Texas, erected the society as a public association of the faithful with the intention that, one day, it would be a new religious institute. Three months later, on the feast of Corpus Christi, after vowing before Bishop Gracida to live a life of poverty, chastity and obedience — and to defend all human life from conception to natural death.

â€” Sister Anne Sophie received her habit as the society’s first consecrated member. Bishop Gracida, who remains the society’s spiritual adviser, praises Sister Anne Sophie and the society’s work of ministering to the sick and dying. "The work is almost identical, analogous to the work done by the congregation established by Mother Teresa of Calcutta," he says. "With loving, tender care and kindness," he adds, "Sister and the society offer the suffering spiritual solace either to recover from illness or to ease their passage into the next life." That example has drawn laypeople to join the Society of the Body of Christ as associate members.

So far, some 97 individuals pray and care for the weakest among them. Meanwhile approximately 230 "suffering members" are powerful instruments of intercession: Through the society’s work, they offer their pain and even their own dying for the glory of God and salvation of souls. No wonder that, in 2002, Cardinal Alfonso Lopez Trujillo, president of the Pontifical Council for the Family, wrote to Sister Anne Sophie. "Your work and the Society of the Body of Christ," he wrote, "are incredibly important." "The charism of the Society of the Body of Christ is the compassion of Mary at the foot of the cross through St. John," she was told by her great uncle, Father Marie-Dominique Philippe, founder of the Congregation of St. John.

inperpetuity

On March 25, 1994, Bishop Rene Gracida, now bishop emeritus of Corpus Christi, Texas, erected the society as a public association of the faithful with the intention that, one day, it would be a new religious institute. Three months later, on the feast of Corpus Christi, after vowing before Bishop Gracida to live a life of poverty, chastity and obedience — and to defend all human life from conception to natural death.

â€” Sister Anne Sophie received her habit as the society’s first consecrated member. Bishop Gracida, who remains the society’s spiritual adviser, praises Sister Anne Sophie and the society’s work of ministering to the sick and dying. "The work is almost identical, analogous to the work done by the congregation established by Mother Teresa of Calcutta," he says. "With loving, tender care and kindness," he adds, "Sister and the society offer the suffering spiritual solace either to recover from illness or to ease their passage into the next life." That example has drawn laypeople to join the Society of the Body of Christ as associate members.

So far, some 97 individuals pray and care for the weakest among them. Meanwhile approximately 230 "suffering members" are powerful instruments of intercession: Through the society’s work, they offer their pain and even their own dying for the glory of God and salvation of souls. No wonder that, in 2002, Cardinal Alfonso Lopez Trujillo, president of the Pontifical Council for the Family, wrote to Sister Anne Sophie. "Your work and the Society of the Body of Christ," he wrote, "are incredibly important." "The charism of the Society of the Body of Christ is the compassion of Mary at the foot of the cross through St. John," she was told by her great uncle, Father Marie-Dominique Philippe, founder of the Congregation of St. John.

Well, I'm convinced that this is a good work.  It's a tough apostolate, but very necessary.

OnlySunshine

Can anyone locate their listing on the diocesan website for Corpus Christi?  I did a search last night and came up empty.  This is not to say that they are not a valid community but I am questioning whether or not the current Bishop is backing them.  Sr. Anne Sophie has a beautiful chapel, though.  :)

ToJesusMyHeart

The Corpus diocese is super slow in updating things. 

I don't doubt their validity or the support of the current Bishop. They have overwhelming support from the previous Bishop and from Cardinal Alfonso.

If I had the time and patience, I'd call the diocesan office in Corpus and ask about them, but I have neither of those. Feel free to call if you are blessed with either. :)

Totally Franciscan

Just wondering, since the community was erected in 1994, are there any more religious in her community other than Sr. Anne Sophie?  I read that she does have lay associates, but it would seem with this wonderful ministry she would have others join her.  I could find nothing about the other community members on the internet.  Does anyone have information?

inperpetuity

I think she is the only sister, at least that's the impression I get, but I don't really know :idontknow: I am curious about it though.  Someone would have to call the diocese I guess and ask.