An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelites And Shoes

Mary+Immaculate<3

graciandelamadrededios

According to the book I read on the Apparition of Our Lady in Lipa Carmel, the Discalced Carmelite Nuns in Lipa were barefooted in 1940's. 

I saw photos of Discalced Carmelite Nun in Manila Carmel (they published a souvenir book for their 75th anniversary of foundation) barefooted and this photo was taken after Vatican II.

Mother Prioress of Manila Carmel told me that an old Nun, also a former Prioress, would create the alpargates for a Sister soon to be professed.  She is the only living nun who knows how to do this but the Nuns no longer wear the alpargates since its not practical and consumes so much time to create.  Instead, they wear cheap sandals and in solidarity with the poor, they also wear cheap flip flops.  Wearing the alpargates during profession in this Carmel is for symbolic purposes and not for everyday use.  The last time I heard, this aged Prioress suffered a stroke and was bedridden.  I am not sure if she is still alive.

Gracian

graciandelamadrededios

Does anyone here knows which specific Carmel in the U.K. published "The Nun's Answer" and "Catch Us Those Little Foxes?"