An Old School Catholic Message Board

Worst Food Allergies?

Roamin Catholic

Roamin Catholic

My son has a dairy allergy, but that isn't too bad; they have to disclose dairy.. His garlic allergy is what sucks! Spices? We don't have to tell you'd garlic is one of them! That sucks

But I'd take that anyday over pku.

What food allergies do you hate

IcePrincessKRS

I'm very lucky, none of my kids seem to have any food allergies. I have a friend who's 2 year old has eosinophilic esophagitis and is allergic to dairy, fish, soy, nuts, eggs, and I think one more thing that I can't remember. At the very least she's not allergic to gluten so she can still have some bread and pasta. I've had them over or ate at their house and brought food, I know they've gotten used to it but it's definitely a challenge to make sure that everything is safe for the whole family.

I have another friend who's daughter is allergic to dyes in food and pineapple.

I know a handful of people that can't have gluten, which in contrast (while it's still a total pain in the behind) seems like one of the easier things to avoid.

Edited by IcePrincessKRS

Archaeology cat

Leo can't have dairy, soy, eggs, beef, goat, pork, tomato, so neither can I. I also have to avoid alcohol and fat because of the gallstones. But garlic is really hard. My husband can't have paprika, which is also tough since it just gets lumped into "spices".

I'm lucky, I don't have any bad food allergies. My poor grandma though couldn't eat chicken or eggs, pork, all dairy products, strawberries, kiwis, rhubarb, and probably several more things that I can't remember.

Fresh pineapple and broccoli (like not in a can or cooked) are what I cannot eat, my tongue starts to itch epically so I have to take a Benadryl. :shrug: It could be worse...  

Gluten allergies are the worst. Its awful not being able to eat bread/ many cereals/ doughnuts etc. I wish there was a cure.

I don't have any food allergies but on Monday I'm starting a gluten and dairy free trial for 6 weeks per my doctor's recommendation. It's kind of scary to think about. In my normal diet, I'd say I get at least half if not more of my protein from dairy products, so I think that is going to be more difficult for me than the no gluten. As Roamin said, at least both of those are labeled on foods so I can figure out what I can have pretty easily.

homeschoolmom

Fresh pineapple and broccoli (like not in a can or cooked) are what I cannot eat, my tongue starts to itch epically so I have to take a Benadryl. :shrug: It could be worse...  

I think I have something like this that has developed in the last year or so. I have Oral Allergy Syndrome, and I think it is very hit or miss. I think peaches, pineapple and kiwi are the main culprits, but I've notice slight symptoms with apples and strawberries from time to time. It's a bummer because I could probably be eating more fresh fruit than I am, but I just don't want to deal with symptoms. I love fruit and I miss eating it. And because this is new for me, I sometimes forget. :(

OnlySunshine

Earlier this year, I discovered I have gluten allergy or intolerance.  It's so bad that I get physically ill when I eat something containing wheat that is more than what is in a standard communion host.  In fact, I was serving as EMHC at the regular Mass and then again at the First Communion Mass.  I received twice and paid dearly for it later.  I felt like my insides were coming out (sorry for the TMI).  I can't even put cosmetics that contain wheat on my face.  I tried to use some natural tinted moisturizer that had "CETEARYL WHEAT BRAN GLUCOSIDES" and I broke out in a very itchy rash that took forever to get rid of.  I don't understand how it could get this bad when I've been eating gluten all my life.  I miss eating regular cereal, oatmeal, cookies (although, I found some AMAZING gluten-free cookies), etc.  I can't tell you how much I wish I could have a donut sometimes.

I also have dairy intolerance.  I can drink skim milk with little problems but anything with milk fat (including butter), I have to take Lactaid or suffer the consequences.

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

I was allergic to everything as a child. I had some sort of protein intolerance (at least that's what I've been told). According to my mom, it wasn't so much a list of what I couldn't eat as it was a list of what I could. Thankfully, I outgrew most of them.

As for specific allergies; I wasn't able to eat dairy until I got to high school, or anything with whey protein. I still can't eat shell fish, I will go anaphylactic shock. I've always thought that was the worst of my allergies, because it could kill me if I messed up. That's actually how we found out apparently, although I don't remember the event.

Spem in alium

We think my dad developed an allergy to chickpeas. A couple of years ago he went into anaphylactic shock, which was pretty bad. He hasn't eaten them since. It's definitely not as difficult as a gluten or dairy allergy (or a garlic allergy...!) but not being able to eat hummus is pretty sad.

OnlySunshine

Earlier this year, I discovered I have gluten allergy or intolerance.  It's so bad that I get physically ill when I eat something containing wheat that is more than what is in a standard communion host.  In fact, I was serving as EMHC at the regular Mass and then again at the First Communion Mass.  I received twice and paid dearly for it later.  I felt like my insides were coming out (sorry for the TMI).  I can't even put cosmetics that contain wheat on my face.  I tried to use some natural tinted moisturizer that had "CETEARYL WHEAT BRAN GLUCOSIDES" and I broke out in a very itchy rash that took forever to get rid of.  I don't understand how it could get this bad when I've been eating gluten all my life.  I miss eating regular cereal, oatmeal, cookies (although, I found some AMAZING gluten-free cookies), etc.  I can't tell you how much I wish I could have a donut sometimes.

I also have dairy intolerance.  I can drink skim milk with little problems but anything with milk fat (including butter), I have to take Lactaid or suffer the consequences.

I used to have an allergy to chocolate and could only eat white chocolate.  My face would get really flushed.  It stunk because I love chocolate.  Thankfully, I grew out of it.

I was born with a red dye allergy, though.  It causes me to have face flushing and I used to get asthma attacks and vomiting with it.  I remember the first time I ever had Hawaiian Punch.  I was vomiting so much.  Thankfully, the asthma has improved and my face doesn't flush near as much as it used to.  However, I stay away from red #40 as much as possible.  That seems to be the worst.

mysisterisalittlesister

Not a food allergy, but I'm allergic to bubble bath :|

Just putting that out there.

I think I have something like this that has developed in the last year or so. I have Oral Allergy Syndrome, and I think it is very hit or miss. I think peaches, pineapple and kiwi are the main culprits, but I've notice slight symptoms with apples and strawberries from time to time. It's a bummer because I could probably be eating more fresh fruit than I am, but I just don't want to deal with symptoms. I love fruit and I miss eating it. And because this is new for me, I sometimes forget. :(

I still eat the fruit that makes my tongue itch since it is only after a large amount that it starts itching. 

If we are listing none food allergies also I am allergic to mold, pollen, and cleaning. :p