An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Have Some News!

savvy

I just got back from my visit to the sisters. I have been asked to join the community. The community has a school for those with disabilities. They accept those with mild disabilities. I have a mild form of ASD.  Papal approval is in the works for this community and could be finalized sometime next year. Please pray for this and also that my visa hurdles would be cleared, since I am a Canadian citizen.

I do see the hand of God working with the is community, since despite obstacles, they keep moving ahead.

P.S. Sorry about the double posts.

edited by moderator: by request of original poster -- cmariadiaz

By His Grace Alone

I have never heard of this community and others may not have. So, could you tell us about them please?

I have never heard of this community and others may not have. So, could you tell us about them please? 

This is a new community that was founded by Sister Gilchrist Cottrill.  Sr. Gilchrist was with the school sisters of Notre Dame, as a special education teacher.  She felt that this charism needed a project of it's own and that God was calling her to do this.  She brought this up with the Superior for women's religious in Rome, and was told to start this community.  The community ministers to those with learning disabilities and their families. 

The community wears habits and is faithful to the church. They currently have six sisters and I would be the seventh.

The community of the Epiphany's website is currently under construction, so I can't post the link, but this a link to their school.

http://amuprep.org/

Edited by savvy

Saavy:

Did you mean diocesean approval? (Meaning that they'd be recognized as a religious institute vs. a public association of the faithful by the diocese).  I make the distinction because it is quite rare for an institute that comprises of 6-7 members to become of pontifical right.

Case in point -- I know of a group of sisters who are of diocesan right that have been working on getting full pontifical recognition for years, and they are about 40 years old with about 30 members.

I'm always careful with terminology now -- the sisters I entered with in Argentina had told me that they were working on getting full pontifical recognition, but only recently got diocesan recognition (if I had known that, I would have not entered).

In any case -- I am very happy for you. :)  From the little I found (I found a really old article) they seem like a beautiful community.

-- Cma

Did you mean diocesean approval? (Meaning that they'd be recognized as a religious institute vs. a public association of the faithful by the diocese).  I make the distinction because it is quite rare for an institute that comprises of 6-7 members to become of pontifical right.

Yes, the community is working towards both.  There is also an option to be an Institute of Apostolic Life. 

In any case -- I am very happy for you.  :)  From the little I found (I found a really old article) they seem like a beautiful community.

Thanks. Doubts are common about new communities, but as Sister says, they have been told, "If this is the will of God, they will succeed."

Case in point -- I know of a group of sisters who are of diocesan right that have been working on getting full pontifical recognition for years, and they are about 40 years old with about 30 members.

The community has chosen not to seek diocesan approval, for several reasons.  In their case, Papal recognition and working with the Sacred Congregation for the Faith, in Rome, (I hope I got the name right) has been more successful.

Edited by savvy

Sister Marie

Savvy, I think you might want to recheck that information with them.  I'm definitely no expert in this but, with the little information I have, I think a congregation must have diocesan approval before petitioning for papal recognition.  I also think there is a minimum number of perpetually professed members of the institute required before that approval can even be asked for (the numbers 20 and 30 are coming to mind... but I have no idea the exact number...).  

Anyway, I'm very happy you feel at peace in your discernment and desire to continue with this community.  Prayers!

SM

Savvy, I think you might want to recheck that information with them.  I'm definitely no expert in this but, with the little information I have, I think a congregation must have diocesan approval before petitioning for papal recognition.  I also think there is a minimum number of perpetually professed members of the institute required before that approval can even be asked for (the numbers 20 and 30 are coming to mind... but I have no idea the exact number...).  

Anyway, I'm very happy you feel at peace in your discernment and desire to continue with this community.  Prayers!

Thanks Sister Marie.  Yes, I need to recheck this with them. 

Savvy, I think you might want to recheck that information with them.  I'm definitely no expert in this but, with the little information I have, I think a congregation must have diocesan approval before petitioning for papal recognition.  I also think there is a minimum number of perpetually professed members of the institute required before that approval can even be asked for (the numbers 20 and 30 are coming to mind... but I have no idea the exact number...).  

SM

I was under the same impression as well (something I learned as a postulant in the 1st community I was with).  I remember them mentioning that 50 sisters were needed.

Thanks for confirming what I said :).

I don't think the numbers are that high, my future congregation started in 1988 with maybe 5 novices and was already of papal right in 1994. They are now, 25 years later, with about 50. So I don't think you need that much professed members.

think a congregation must have diocesan approval before petitioning for papal recognition. 

The congregation is eligible for diocesan approval, but is choosing not to take it, because papal approval, would help them expand better. 

Edited by savvy