An Old School Catholic Message Board

Post-nicene Fathers Question

Dr. Bombay

I have the opportunity to obtain the entire 14 volumes of the Post-Nicene Fathers for around $45, real American money.  This is hard copy, none of that fancy electronical computerized nonsense.

So...is it worth it?  I mean, you can pretty much find all of this stuff with the Bing nowadays, so what's the point of having the actual books?  I'm not likely to sit down with a volume and read it from start to finish.  Although, I might. Stranger things have happened.

What say you?

My two cents (NOT real American money): The important thing is that you read them. If you are more likely to read them if you have them in hard copy, then buy them. If they will just sit on your shelf collecting dust because you don't have time to read them or wouldn't schlepp them around to read them but would instead access them on a tablet or laptop or whatever that you always carry anyway, then... waste of money.

UNLESS of course, you buy them "just in case", and if you ultimately find that you still read them mostly online and not in hard copy, then you give them to a nice religious community or parish library. In which case: not a waste of money.

Just don't get attached to them as dust-collectors. :-)

I seem to recall when I was in seminary that the profs told us these volumes of the Church Fathers were edited by Anglicans.  In fact, I remember a few blatant anti-Catholic editorial comments sprinkled throughout, if this is the same set.

Hmmm....not sure if I want to pay to read someone attack my faith.

GeorgiiMichael

If they're good copies not edited by Anglicans and you've got the $45 to spare, I'd advise you get them. It's not that much money, and they could come in handy. If for no other reason than to have them nicely displayed on a bookshelf.

That said, I'm a book hoarder, so my advice will almost always be "buy the book(s)".

Upon further research, I can get most of the 38 volumes, ante- and post-Nicene, for around $118.  I'd be short 4 volumes.  $3.50/book, real American money.  That's not bad. 

But Anglicans give me the willies to be honest.....

Nihil Obstat

Upon further research, I can get most of the 38 volumes, ante- and post-Nicene, for around $118.  I'd be short 4 volumes.  $3.50/book, real American money.  That's not bad. 

A while back I gave a guy a few dollars to take some old prayer books off his hands. He told me they were all Catholic, but I got them in the mail and one of them turned out to be ANGLICAN! :shock:

I looked at it for a few minutes to see what it was like, but then I set it down and forgot about it. Too many good Catholic things to get to first.

$(KGrHqR,!jYFCO-y1In9BQkTqD!D(w~~60_35.J

uh....never mind. that joke was too far over the Winchester line.

Edited by Lil Red

problem with books is that while they smell good (particularly used books), they usually have too many words and not enough pictures. 

Bambi, do you have that 3-volume set Faith of the Early Fathers?

Yes, I do.

I don't think I can justify the purchase at this time.  Great price, but too many books to take into stately Bombay Manor right now. 

They're on sale at Christian Book til manana if anyone is interested.

Nihil Obstat

Yes, I do.

I don't think I can justify the purchase at this time.  Great price, but too many books to take into stately Bombay Manor right now. 

They're on sale at Christian Book til manana if anyone is interested.

I love that set. :proud: