An Old School Catholic Message Board

Plan B

Golden Years

Golden Years

I got a call from the Vocation Director at the Carmel I spoke with a couple of weeks ago and she was very nice but said that the community just wasn't ready to have externs.  No mention of the canon lawyer checking up on things, which is the way we left it when I spoke with her last.  I didn't question her about it, because obviously it's not God's will.  So this is like the 12th Carmel that has either ignored me or politely said "no."  So it's really starting to look like a brown habit isn't in my future.  :cry:

But that's okay, because I had already made plans to visit my spiritual director, who lives in another state.  God has really blessed me with an awwwwwesome (and I do mean awwwwesome) SD.  :pope2: We've been corresponding for several years, but never actually met.  Seemed like something would always come up, especially never having the money for airfare, but now it's finally going to happen.  I also had to get past the idea that he belongs to a different religious order, which probably in all likelihood means that I'm not going to be a Carmelite after all, but I now realize that having a very kind and holy spiritual director to guide me is absolutely the key to following my vocation, and that good spiritual directors are very hard to find, and therefore I should be grateful for this blessing and happily submit everything to his guidance.  And as long as I submit everything to him, God will guide me accordingly, Carmelites or no Carmelites.

And so this is me moving on to Plan B.  I go to visit him in August [insert icon of airplane and puffy white clouds.]

Deo Gratias! 

:)

Chiquitunga

That's wonderful, Golden Years!! Also, remember that St. Teresa of Avila had spiritual directors from different Orders like Dominicans, Jesuits and a Franciscan. So having a spiritual director with a different spirituality/Order doesn't mean you aren't still a Carmelite at heart :heart:  The Lord could still be calling to to be a Diocesan Hermit with Carmelite spirituality. Just a thought. Whatever He wants! :pray:

Golden Years

Thanks Chiqui!  Good points and I will just have to wait and see what He has planned....  :saint2:

inperpetuity

It's a great grace to have one at all in this day and age.  A spiritual director that is.

Edited by inperpetuity

ToJesusMyHeart

I thought this was gonna be a thread about the morning after pill and I was confused why it was in VS.

:P

Golden Years

I thought this was gonna be a thread about the morning after pill and I was confused why it was in VS.

I just realized that exactly the same time you did.  I'm getting old, my brain is shot, what can I say.  :getaclue:

OnlySunshine

It's a great grace to have one at all in this day and age.  A spiritual director that is.

Amen, sista!  I've been looking for one for almost 4 years after I left my previous one and I've had no luck.

Same here!  :blush:

BarbTherese

Never give up on good desires that persist. Never.  I went 20 years without being able to find anyone to direct me but never gave up the seach - and then came across a religious sister (ex novice mistress in her Order) who directed me probably for over 7 years.  Now, and quite accidentally almost and unfolding from a simple enquiry re spiritual direction, I have two religious order priests willing to direct me.  I am seeing one this Wednesday - and have advised the other priest of my decision - and have advised Sr. E. ('current' director) also.

It all unfolded very quickly, mind bogglingly and accidentally so, during my recent recovery from surgery - now fully effected and putting my life back together again.  Suddenly, out the blue, I had two religious order priests willing to direct me.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Another gee whiz question-Are people required to have a SD in order to enter into a community??( I know having help with direction is crucial)

OnlySunshine

Another gee whiz question-Are people required to have a SD in order to enter into a community??( I know having help with direction is crucial)

It is strongly recommended that you have one.  However, I don't know of any community that would say you are not allowed to enter if you don't have a spiritual director.  Most communities know that it is very difficult to find a good one (much less ONE) nowadays.  ;)

VeniJesuAmorMi

I hope this upcoming visit will give you the help you need in your discernment. Our Lord will certainly reward your good desires and you won't be disappointed. He has given you anyway the grace of a Carmelite heart since you desire this way of life, and so right now your cloister is in your heart where you can be alone with Jesus there. It is the Order of our Blessed Mother; She will be guiding you. :)

Golden Years

Never give up on good desires that persist. Never.  I went 20 years without being able to find anyone to direct me but never gave up the seach - and then came across a religious sister (ex novice mistress in her Order) who directed me probably for over 7 years.  Now, and quite accidentally almost and unfolding from a simple enquiry re spiritual direction, I have two religious order priests willing to direct me.  I am seeing one this Wednesday - and have advised the other priest of my decision - and have advised Sr. E. ('current' director) also.

It all unfolded very quickly, mind bogglingly and accidentally so, during my recent recovery from surgery - now fully effected and putting my life back together again.  Suddenly, out the blue, I had two religious order priests willing to direct me.

So glad to hear you're doing well Barbara Therese! 

Golden Years

I hope this upcoming visit will give you the help you need in your discernment. Our Lord will certainly reward your good desires and you won't be disappointed. He has given you anyway the grace of a Carmelite heart since you desire this way of life, and so right now your cloister is in your heart where you can be alone with Jesus there. It is the Order of our Blessed Mother; She will be guiding you. :)

Thank you Veni!  :)