An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nuns On The Bus

Gabriela

I was just doing research, and I ran into about 50 orders of women religious who all mentioned Nuns on the Bus on their website. I've heard of this before, but I'm not 100% clear on what it is. What sisters participate in this, and what is it?

Me too...I think they don't wear habits either. Must be LCRW related...( please no offense intended)

To Jesus Through Mary

A group of sisters from the LCWR are the ones doing the bus. My understanding of it is the first run was in protest of the investigation of the LCWR and to promote all the other works they had done- the more recent run is protesting various laws such as immigration. At least that is how it was explained to me. 

A group of sisters from the LCWR are the ones doing the bus. My understanding of it is the first run was in protest of the investigation of the LCWR and to promote all the other works they had done- the more recent run is protesting various laws such as immigration. At least that is how it was explained to me. 

No, the "nuns on the bus" tour was never about protesting internal church politics (i.e. LCWR investigation), it was about economic issues.  The more recent tour is focusing on immigration.

To Jesus Through Mary

No, the "nuns on the bus" tour was never about protesting internal church politics (i.e. LCWR investigation), it was about economic issues.  The more recent tour is focusing on immigration.

I dunno, the timing of it all makes it hard for me (and many others) to believe that it was more then just about economic issues, even if they didn't explicitly say so. Based off of the speeches I read they seemed pretty disgruntled. But I will admit the sources I read are very bias. (Love me some Fr. Z) 

Sister Marie

I dunno, the timing of it all makes it hard for me (and many others) to believe that it was more then just about economic issues, even if they didn't explicitly say so. Based off of the speeches I read they seemed pretty disgruntled. But I will admit the sources I read are very bias. (Love me some Fr. Z) 

It might be better next time to present something like this as your own personal opinion and suspicion before making a statement.  I don't think it is very much in keeping with charity to spread your suspicion (or anyone else's) when there isn't any actual evidence of what you suspect.  Slander is wrong regardless of the status or popularity of the person to which it has been directed. 

To Jesus Through Mary

It might be better next time to present something like this as your own personal opinion and suspicion before making a statement.  I don't think it is very much in keeping with charity to spread your suspicion (or anyone else's) when there isn't any actual evidence of what you suspect.  Slander is wrong regardless of the status or popularity of the person to which it has been directed. 

I don't think this could be considered slander, as they have been pretty vocal about their displeasure with the investigation and the timing.. well putting two and two together and some of the speeches made are plenty of evidence IMO. Nor did I state anything negative about the issue or the sisters. I am simply stating my understanding of the whole "Nuns on the Bus". I also stated in my original response "That is how it was explained to me" and even admitted to my sources as being bias. I may not agree with the stances of many of the LSWR, but I know many very kind sisters from that group. I went and stayed with a group two weeks ago because they allowed me to stay for free and were extremely hospitable. So I am actually pretty deliberate in not slandering or detracting with any religious.   

I think it was clear that it was just her opinion. And she cited "evidence" in the form of the speeches she read (which is of course only her interpretation, but I think we all got that).

You sound sensitive about the subject, Sister Marie. Did you participate in the Nuns on the Bus event(s)? If so, could you please tell us your perspective?

The sisters on the bus have serious issues. :hmmm:

Actually I disagree -- they're very supportive of immigration rights.  One of the towns in my diocese was a stop in the current tour. 

Sister Marie

I actually don't have anything to do with the nuns on the bus except that I've followed it and been prayerfully supportive especially of their work on immigration.

I am sensitive to the issue of how sisters are represented though. In the beginning of this thread a reasonable question was asked. The first response was about what they wear. Then the next response was incorrect. I just think that there is a preconcieved bias among many posters here that makes it impossible to talk about something which our church supports-care for our brothers and sisters-without ending up talking about clothes and church politics. It isn't blatant but it certainly comes out in the tone and quality of responses. I certainly don't think Jesus was doing a uniform check of all his disciples during his public ministry.

Maybe I came off strongly but I would urge those in this thread to really search their hearts, what good do these biases have in the church? Does it work for unity? Does it improve communication? Does it help us to serve our brothers and sisters? Does it help us to be holy to pigeonhole people without even knowing the truth of what they are doing?

Tojesusthroughhmary, your first post assumed something that is incorrect, no matter how many other people, or biased sources, agree with you. Casting suspicion on those you don't agree with doesn't help build up the kingdom. Your second post helped clarify, but this website gets a lot of traffic. I stand by what I said, it is slander to suggest that these sisters are on the bus to talk about the investigation of the LCWR, because its not true. They are on the bus because they are trying to promote the Gospel.

We are all on the same team; me, you, the nuns on the bus... We're trying to get to heaven and to bring as many people with us as we can and it just seems wrong to get caught up in all this speculation when we are all on the same team.

To Jesus Through Mary

Tojesusthroughhmary, your first post assumed something that is incorrect, no matter how many other people, or biased sources, agree with you. Casting suspicion on those you don't agree with doesn't help build up the kingdom. Your second post helped clarify, but this website gets a lot of traffic. I stand by what I said, it is slander to suggest that these sisters are on the bus to talk about the investigation of the LCWR, because its not true. They are on the bus because they are trying to promote the Gospel.

We are all on the same team; me, you, the nuns on the bus... We're trying to get to heaven and to bring as many people with us as we can and it just seems wrong to get caught up in all this speculation when we are all on the same team.

I respectfully disagree about the slander, as I did not say anything negative about the sisters on the bus- therefore not slander. At the worst, I am wrong- but I stated it was my opinion. However, I do full heartedly agree and I are on the same team. :) Peace be with you! :)

I have been learning a few things, from the community, I going to enter. The purpose of a habit is that everyone wears the same thing. My community, wears a habit and also does not wear one. They wear one to church, school, and to their ministry related things. They do not wear one on the farm, and when engaged in casual work or trips. They do however, keep to a colour code, when they do not wear a habit. It's about balance. Some people want to go to bed in their habits, others want to throw it out.

The next essential, I have been told is cooperate mission. If a community is not faithful to their founding charism and has 20 different ones and apostolates, you will end up with none.

Lilllabettt

I actually don't have anything to do with the nuns on the bus except that I've followed it and been prayerfully supportive especially of their work on immigration.

I am sensitive to the issue of how sisters are represented though. In the beginning of this thread a reasonable question was asked. The first response was about what they wear. Then the next response was incorrect. I just think that there is a preconcieved bias among many posters here that makes it impossible to talk about something which our church supports-care for our brothers and sisters-without ending up talking about clothes and church politics. It isn't blatant but it certainly comes out in the tone and quality of responses. I certainly don't think Jesus was doing a uniform check of all his disciples during his public ministry.

Maybe I came off strongly but I would urge those in this thread to really search their hearts, what good do these biases have in the church? Does it work for unity? Does it improve communication? Does it help us to serve our brothers and sisters? Does it help us to be holy to pigeonhole people without even knowing the truth of what they are doing?

I make it a point to read widely. I myself tend towards the traditional end of things, but I'm deeply uncomfortable with the sensation of living in an echo chamber.  So I watch, listen and read a variety of media, constantly trying to recognize and balance the biases that are a natural part of any human perspective. 

I have seen the "Nuns on the Bus" reported multiple times in both the secular and religious press, in both hostile and sympathetic coverage. I have never seen the story framed any other way than as an act of resistance against aspects of the Church hierarchy, in particular the investigation.  This is the first time I have heard the suggestion that it is a social justice endeavor independent of Church politics.

I believe you Sister, but I am surprised. Perhaps the fault is mine for not being better informed. But honestly, I don't know what I could have done to be  better informed. I think the Sisters involved have lost control of their message in a serious way.