An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can You Be A Carmelite If You've Struggled With Depression?

Maire

:unsure: Or any sort of contemplative nun? I don't know if this has ever come up before in the discussions here- I'm new, as you can see. ;) I've been depressed before in my life, and am currently taking effective medication. However, would this mean that God isn't calling me to the contemplative life? To be blunt: is it a "deal breaker?"

Chiquitunga

Hi Maire! Welcome to the phorum! (especially to VS!) :wave:

To answer your question, yes it is really is a "deal breaker" for discerning this vocation. I'll let others who know more about this than I answer this too, but in short, I do not know of any Carmel or contemplative community that will accept someone on medication. It's pretty much always included in their brochures/IRL - http://www.religiouslife.com/ - listings/websites that good mental good is required, really for all religious communities, although I think in general it can be said that it is even stricter for cloistered contemplative life. 

Please don't let this discourage you though. God has a special plan for you, wherever that is :pray:

Maire,

Welcome to Phatmass. I have to be on medication for depression too. The life in Carmel is too enclosed for a person who struggles with depression. I have discerned with both active and contemplative communities. No all active communities are open to this either, and not all contemplative communities would be closed to it. It just depends on the community.

I am joining an active community, that does accept those with this issue. But, I also have a calling for their charism and passion for their mission, so this works out.

I will keep you in my prayers. Persevere in prayer and God will lead you where He wants you to be.

Edited by savvy

OnlySunshine

:unsure: Or any sort of contemplative nun? I don't know if this has ever come up before in the discussions here- I'm new, as you can see. ;) I've been depressed before in my life, and am currently taking effective medication. However, would this mean that God isn't calling me to the contemplative life? To be blunt: is it a "deal breaker?"

I have personal experience with this having struggled with depression for 14 years and continuing medication.  I thought I was called to cloistered, contemplative life but pretty much every monastery I contacted said they would not accept someone who needed medication for mental illness.  There was only one that said yes but the Prioress who told me this is no longer there (she transferred) so I can't think of any monastery I can refer you to.  I do know of the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus in Milwaukee, WI who were willing to accept me but my vocation was not there.  They accepted a young girl who needed medication for mental illness (who is still there and is now a Junior Professed Sister) and said that since my condition was stable, I could try the life.  However, they are not cloistered.  I recommend contacting them if you are interested:

http://www.carmelitedcjnorth.org/

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Hi, Maire,

Most likely, what Chiquitunga, Savvy and Mater Misericordiae have said is correct.  Most cloistered communities will not consider anyone with depression issues (depression, bipolar, etc.) because the cloistered structure can make the problem worse.... Because there is no 'let up' in the life style, the structure can make any underlying issues flare up.

However, some unenclosed communities may be open to someone who is well-controlled on medications, (and some of the active communities have a contemplative aspect to them).  It would be something you would need to discuss on a 1:1 basis with communities, ideally after you had gotten to know them a bit -- it isn't the first thing you'd want to say to them!

And for many people who have issues like this, a Secular Order vocation may end up being a good structure.   This is because  it gives members the graces and formation of a religious family and the flexible structure that can make dealing with something like depression or bipolar issues less of a problem.   We have several people who have struggled with issues like this in my Secular Order community.  And Secular Order members are just as much members of the religious family as cloistered nuns, active sisters or friars.  I function as the vocation contact and Formation Director in our Secular Order community.... and some of our members have made the 'Consecration of a Virgin' or taken private vows as well....

Maire,

While it is true that a lot of contemplative communities are reluctant to consider someone who has an enduring mental health condition, I know a few nuns - including two Carmelites - who have battled with depression for pretty much their entire lives and are beautiful sisters. If we look at the writings of the saints, it's easy to identify a few nuns there who were clearly depressed.

However, the sisters I know were not prescribed medication when they entered, as they joined in a time when mental ill health was not widely understood. They coped without anything. Their cross was especially heavy. But still they managed, and this makes me wonder whether communities are always so wise to reject women outright because of medication needs. Some women with MH problems really aren't meant for contemplative life, just as some women without MH problems aren't meant for it, and I don't feel that the diagnosis and the medication themselves should really be the deal breaker, as each person is different. Rightly or wrongly, there is a barrier there - but if the Holy Spirit wants you in a particular place, you may be sure He will get you there.

God bless, and many prayers. +

TheresaThoma

Discerning and being on medication in general can be difficult. I'm on a medication (not for MH reasons though) and I have found there are many communities out there that simply won't accept me. You just have to go in knowing and accepting that you will probably be facing that. My suggestion is to discern, each person is different and what was told to one person may not be the same for you. That said this is something that needs to come up early on in your contact with communities. Not the first contact (letter/email etc) but most likely in the second or third. Overall be realistic and open about this.