An Old School Catholic Message Board

Children Of Mary

AveMariaPurissima

AveMariaPurissima

Is anyone familiar with this community, or have personal experience with them?  I met a couple of these Sisters at an ordination I attended today.  They were really nice, and from what I can tell it seems like a pretty good community.

http://www.childrenofmary.net/home.html

ToJesusMyHeart

I am familiar with them and have personal experience. 

What do you want to know?

Kayte Postle

They live just down the road from me! I'm quite familiar with them as well, what would you like to know?

AveMariaPurissima

Just some curious questions, I guess.  What is their status with the Church?  Why purple? (I'm guessing it has some sort of significance)  What is their formation like?

And...if I think of anything else, I'll add it!

Part of me wants to visit (I live about 4.5 hours away, which isn't too bad, I guess), especially because they seem like such a lovely community, but part of me feels like it wouldn't be worth it to make the trip, since I have a feeling that I'll find that I'm still Trinitarian at heart.

Kayte Postle

They are faithful to the church. They often celebrate the NO mass in Latin and they sing the divine office. The purple is for the pascal passion of Christ, since their charism is very eurcharistic. Their formation periods are a person by person basis, but typically they spend 6 months as a postulant, 1 to 2 years as a novice and 3 years in temp vows before final vows. They are a very contemplative community and most of their apostolate is manual labor and corpral works of mercy on their land. They also take a fourth vow to pray for priests and they fast weekly for priests! They are a wonderful community, even if its a short trip they love to welcome visitors and would love to have you!

OnlySunshine

What kind of manual labor do they do?

They do a lot of yardwork.  Their motto is very Benedictine -- "Ora et Labora."  From their website:

There is a lot of work to do on the one hundred acres of wooded land: clearing brush, working in the flower gardens and vegetable garden, cutting up fallen trees, carpentry work, painting, etc. There is plenty of inside work also - for those who can't do manual labor.

ToJesusMyHeart

I forgot... do they have the Traditional Latin Mass?

Not all the time, but yes, they do have it several times per month. 

Most commonly, they have the Novus Ordo in Latin. 

At their chapel, they always use altar rails for receiving Holy Communion. 

Their chapel is breathtaking. 

• 2 weeks later...