An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Novice - Carmel Of St. Joseph - With Homily

Luigi

graciandelamadrededios

First Profession of Sr. Gemma Rose in St. Louis Carmel ~ http://vimeo.com/71304785  :heart: I met her before she entered. very happy for her! :)

It's interesting to see how they do the professions there, in the chapter room. This is a tradition in Carmel, but at some point some Carmels started doing it in the Nuns' choir. Gracian, do you know more about this?

According to one Prioress that I asked, The Ritual of the Order published in 1928 stipulates that the Rite of Profession for Carmelite Nuns is to take place in the Chapter Room – which simply means it is to be done in private since no outsiders will be ever admitted.  In Lisieux Carmel (old monastery, now a museaum), the Chapter Room is on the second floor.

The full name of the Ritual:  Ritual Carmelitano de los Religiosos y Religiosas de la Orden de Descalzos e Nuestra Madre Santisima La Virgen Maria del Monte Carmelo de la Primitive Observancia, Acomodado al Misal y Ritual Romano novisimos y a la antigua costumbre de la Orden.  It was published by Desclee, the official publishers for the Sacred Congregation of Rites.  So the book was approved in Rome specifically for the Carmelite Order.   The Rite of Profession for Nuns is on pages 245-249.

Gracian

Edited by graciandelamadrededios

• 3 months later...

Their adoration is actually throughout the day and they have Benediction every evening when they reserve the Blessed Sacrament for the night. Very unique for Carmel. I've never heard of this at any other Carmel in the world. I have heard some other Carmels comment that adoration of the Blessed Sacrament is not specifically a part of the charism of Carmel, the focus being more on solitude in the cell/seeking the hidden Christ/Indwelling Trinity, although all Carmels have some exposition, some more than others, and of course a great love for adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. Each one is unique. 

edit to add a little explanation of the adoration ~ http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/121149-discalced-carmelite-nun-communities/?p=2601716

As I understand it, they took up adoration at the request of the archbishop. There used to be three monasteries of nuns in St. Louis where the faithful could make visits to the exposed Blessed Sacrament.The monasteries were the Carmelites, the Pink Sisters (Holy Spirit Sisters of Perpetual Adoration), and the Benedictines of Perpetual Adoration (closed a number of years ago). The archbishop established a League of men who committed to make a visit to the Blessed Sacrament once a week; two of the monasteries were in different parts of the city - maybe he wanted the Carmelites to provide a third location. 

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Professions began to be done within Mass as the documents on religious life encouraged that after Vatican II. The Carmelites followed the Dominicans, Cistercians, etc. in having profession in the chapter hall. We can still do it but it is preferred that it is done within the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Doing so highlights the sacrificial nature of profession.