An Old School Catholic Message Board

Moral Theology, Moral Philosophy And Ethics

ithinkjesusiscool

ithinkjesusiscool

Pax vobiscum!

There are three interesting subjects: moral theology, moral philosophy and ethics.

Have you studied any of them? What are the difference between them? Does moral philosophy actually suck as they say?

ToJesusMyHeart

Pax vobiscum!

There are three interesting subjects: moral theology, moral philosophy and ethics.

Have you studied any of them? What are the difference between them? Does moral philosophy actually smell of elderberries as they say?

I've studied them briefly. 

I don't think I can differentiate them well at this moment, but I think it only sucks depending on who teaches you. 

I had a former Sister of Life as my teacher, so they were amazing classes and not one second of it smelt of elderberries. 

Pax vobiscum!

Have you studied any of them? What are the difference between them? Does moral philosophy actually smell of elderberries as they say?

Separating the subjects doesn't usually make too much sense IMO, because they're all connected.

Moral theology is generally going to cover theologically based systems of morality. As the name implies. So you would be doing things like referencing scriptural morality or stuff like that.

Moral philosophy would be focusing on more philosophical discussions of morality. Usually contains less of the explicitly religious discussions about morality. It's good stuff though because it allows you to gain some traction when you need to explain something that is immoral to someone who doesn't share your faith.

Ethics is... well, usually just moral philosophy with less academic rigor. That's why businessmen like it. ;)

CatherineM

I'm majoring in moral theology. I'd rather eat elephant dung than take another philosophy class.

I freely admit, I am a crazy crazy person who loves philosophy. :like: So, you may wish to ignore me on this one...

Chestertonian

I study the Philosophy of Ethics (aka moreal philosophy). Who says it smells of elderberries? 

Nihil Obstat

I have spent some time on moral philosophy. Not as much as I would like though; our department is set up such that you are mainly choosing between continental or straight up logic.

CatholicCid

Moral philosophy is a study of morality without a specific religious undertone. Moral theology is the same study, but with a specific religious undertone. Ethics is the application of the previous two.

Or, more simply, moral philosophy is morality without Christ. In moral theology, you finally can bring Christ into the equation. Moral philosophy, in this regard, does not smell of elderberries, but can leave one unsatisfied. It seems and feels to be pointing further than it can go and that feeling is only resolved through Christ.

Nihil Obstat

Moral philosophy is a study of morality without a specific religious undertone. Moral theology is the same study, but with a specific religious undertone. Ethics is the application of the previous two.

Or, more simply, moral philosophy is morality without Christ. In moral theology, you finally can bring Christ into the equation. Moral philosophy, in this regard, does not smell of elderberries, but can leave one unsatisfied. It seems and feels to be pointing further than it can go and that feeling is only resolved through Christ.

But it makes it so much sweeter when you can bring religion into it. :evil: Last year I wrote a paper on bioethics surrounding end of life situations, and I quoted heavily from Veritatis Splendor, and a little passage or two from Origen. I was pretty proud of that. :smile3:

Dr. Bombay

I'm majoring in moral theology. I'd rather eat elephant dung than take another philosophy class.

I concur with this assessment.  I'd rather have an icepick shoved in my eardrum than study philosophy again.