An Old School Catholic Message Board

Clothing, And What Is Worn Before It.

maximillion

Chiquitunga

I've never seen that photo of Marie Guerin before, Chiquitunga!  That is a great set of photos they have put up on that blog!

I think the Lisieux archives and Maureen O'Riordan's blog and website in particular are very strict about non-copying of the photos.... I've seen all sorts of copyright reserved comments on those photos. 

So I think posting a link is probably the way to go....

BUT thank you, Gracian and Chiqui for doing this!

Okay, thanks for the heads up! :like: And I want to prop all your posts here!! very interesting insights indeed!

p.s. just noticed the edit on your last point too, to let you know. thanks!! I love history!!

Edited by Chiquitunga

graciandelamadrededios

Discalced Carmelite Nun sitting on a chair without back rest - she let her scapular hung at the back instead of sitting on them:

• solitary-cell.png

Discalced Carmelite Nun sitting on the choir stall- she placed the back portion of her scapular on the side:

• sister-in-nuns-choir.png

Photos are from Loretto Carmel's website

Totally Franciscan

My Franciscan community's habit regarding the scapular was to grab it at the back, fold it at the fold at the bottom, and tuck it under the front part of the scapular in one's lap.  Sadly, they don't wear a habit anymore. 

graciandelamadrededios

Discalced Carmelite Nun sitting on a chair without back rest - she let her scapular hung at the back instead of sitting on them:

• solitary-cell.png

Discalced Carmelite Nun sitting on the choir stall- she placed the back portion of her scapular on the side:

• sister-in-nuns-choir.png

Photos are from Loretto Carmel's website

We asked around and one Discalced Carmelite Mother Prioress said they avoid sitting / kneeling on the scapular.  If one accidentally sit / kneel on them, it’s like being grabbed at the back or in front.

However, this custom is not specifically legislated and the custom may differ from one monastery to another.  After Vatican II, each community may retain or not the custom depending if they find such custom practical or meaningful.

The way to do it is take the edge of the back of the scapular with the right hand and hold it aside as you sit down – same can be done while wearing the mantle.

Thanks for the pictures of the scapulars and the explanations for not sitting on it everyone.  It would have never occurred to me not to sit on it.   That just shows how "unschooled" I am in all things about the religious life! :)  Although I am sure the novice mistress or reverend mother tells the novice about this practice so that they know beforehand.

Now, can someone tell me why the hands are always hidden?  I remember seeing this in the Nuns Story (the postulants even hid their hands under they capes) but I don't think they ever explained why the hands are hidden.  Is it something to do with "idleness"?  

AveMariaPurissima

As an aspirant, I wore a blue jumper (same fabric as the habits) over a white tunic-y thing.  We had white mantillas that we wore for Mass.  (We frequently had the windows in the chapel open, esp. during the summer, and since it was so windy, we learned very quickly to keep our hands folded in such a way that we were also holding the mantilla in place so it wouldn't blow off! ;) )  When I became a postulant, I received a short blue veil.  Personally, I loved having a veil!  Besides, when I was an aspirant I had such a hard time getting my hair the way it was supposed to be! :P

~~~~

A side note...those photos of Carmelite postulants look like the outfit St. Teresa of Andes wears in the movie! 

Edited by AveMariaPurissima

OnlySunshine

Thanks for the pictures of the scapulars and the explanations for not sitting on it everyone.  It would have never occurred to me not to sit on it.   That just shows how "unschooled" I am in all things about the religious life! :)  Although I am sure the novice mistress or reverend mother tells the novice about this practice so that they know beforehand.

Now, can someone tell me why the hands are always hidden?  I remember seeing this in the Nuns Story (the postulants even hid their hands under they capes) but I don't think they ever explained why the hands are hidden.  Is it something to do with "idleness"?  

I believe that it has something to do with keeping your hands hidden unless they are busy.  It's been a while since I've watched that movie.  At my friend's convent (the Carmelites), they are supposed to have their hands folded in prayer under their scapular unless they are working.  You see it most of the time with cloistered nuns.  :)

maximillion

The scapular and hands thing is about stillness and recollection....as with most things, exterior practice both calls to mind the interior attitude and helps reflect it. The stilled, hidden hands are a reflection of the stilled mind hidden in Him.

This is how it was explained to me by my NM.

MarysLittleFlower

"Carmelite postulants wore a secular dress with a little capelet, and a small net bonnet on the head. The photograph below of Marie Guerin [cousin of St. Therese] as a postulant (she entered August 15, 1895) shows how St. Therese and all postulants dressed until they received the habit." http://www.thereseoflisieux.org/my-blog-about-st-therese/2013/4/8/an-essay-illustrated-with-19th-century-photos-to-celebrate-t.html

2e-cellule-TH-a-cote.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_C

that's so fascinating, thanks for the link! :)

Kayte Postle

Something I've found interesting is that the TOR's don't receive the habit until they make their first vows. For postulantcy they wear a black skirt and white shirt, and for the novitiate they wear a short white veil, white shirt, and a jumper. You can see all three in the pic below:

960076_522822864434037_101912906_n.jpg

Edited by Kayte Postle

BarbTherese

Something I've found interesting is that the TOR's don't receive the habit until they make their first vows. For postulantcy they wear a black skirt and white shirt, and for the novitiate they wear a short white veil, white shirt, and a jumper. You can see all three in the pic below:

960076_522822864434037_101912906_n.jpg

Good concept, I thought - since many that do leave, leave during their noviciate years.  The noviciate is when the really difficult work of religious life often begins in earnest.  The first three years of temporary vows is an ideal time to receive the formal habit I think.   The sister on the left, I notice she does not have a cincture and is dressed differently, and she is wearing the TOR cross while the others are wearing a crucifix.  Although, the postulant could be wearing the TOR as well.  Are they all from the same Order?

The second novice from the left doesn't seem to be a youngie.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Kayte Postle

Good concept, I thought - since many that do leave, leave during their noviciate years.  The noviciate is when the really difficult work of religious life often begins in earnest.  The first three years of temporary vows is an ideal time to receive the formal habit I think.   The sister on the left, I notice she does not have a cincture and is dressed differently, and she is wearing the TOR cross while the others are wearing a crucifix.  Although, the postulant could be wearing the TOR as well.  Are they all from the same Order?

The second novice from the left doesn't seem to be a youngie.

The sister on the left is the novice, and the ones in the middle are professed sisters, with the postulant on the right. I should have clarified that, in my first post, woops!

BarbTherese

My bad...... :blush:........I saw the white veils and took it for granted they were novices. But you had stated that they don't receive the habit until first profession, so the conclusion SHOULD have been very obvious to me.