Lil Red Posted July 17, 2013 Author Posted July 17, 2013 I don't think EWTN trying to become more hip would be a good move. It's not really their brand identity...they cater to the broad serious / pious Catholic market, not the hip young youth group market, unless they spun off a different network brand. It's like expecting the Pope to write a cool Buzzfeed encyclical. Encyclicals are boring for a reason...that's the Papal style. why can't they change? brands successfully change their image all the time. but then again, they'd actually have to want to change.
dUSt Posted July 17, 2013 Posted July 17, 2013 I don't think EWTN trying to become more hip would be a good move. It's not really their brand identity...they cater to the broad serious / pious Catholic market, not the hip young youth group market, unless they spun off a different network brand. It is possible to be less corny without becoming hip. In fact, I think EWTN's attempt to be hip is what makes it bad. They'd be better off trying to become less hip. They should stick with mass, documentaries, classic Catholic movies, and Fulton Sheen.
Era Might Posted July 17, 2013 Posted July 17, 2013 (edited) When such a child becomes an adult, he naturally surrounds himself with the same things he was used to in his childhood: comforts, amusements, and grown-up toys. Life becomes a constant search for "fun" which, by the way, is a word totally unheard of in any other vocabulary; in 19th century Russia they wouldn't have understood what this word meant, or any serious civilization. Life is a constant search for "fun" which is so empty of any serious meaning that a visitor from any 19th-century country, looking at our popular television programs, amusement parks, advertisements, movies, music—at almost any aspect of our popular culture—would think he had stumbled across a land of imbeciles who have lost all contact with normal reality. We don't often take that into consideration, because we are living in this society and we take it for granted... I wouldn't go around quoting 19th century Russia as a model for the ideal society. Edited July 17, 2013 by Era Might
Era Might Posted July 17, 2013 Posted July 17, 2013 (edited) It is possible to be less corny without becoming hip. In fact, I think EWTN's attempt to be hip is what makes it bad. They'd be better off trying to become less hip. They should stick with mass, documentaries, classic Catholic movies, and Fulton Sheen. Yeah I don't really watch EWTN except once in a while or for live coverage, but I've seen one show on there for men, something like "Crossing the Goal" with a football theme. I guess I'm the target market but I wouldn't watch it. Edited July 17, 2013 by Era Might
Era Might Posted July 17, 2013 Posted July 17, 2013 why can't they change? brands successfully change their image all the time. but then again, they'd actually have to want to change. I guess they can change, but that's a big move. They've been successful with their brand. I agree with dUSt that they should stick to "serious" stuff and let other people come up with new networks with a different marketing focus.
BG45 Posted July 17, 2013 Posted July 17, 2013 why can't they change? brands successfully change their image all the time. but then again, they'd actually have to want to change. I want to pre-emptively apologize to our members with psych degrees. However, my department chair, with his PhD in Psych told this one at a Department get together last week. "How many psychologists does it take to change a lightbulb?" "Potentially none, it has to want to change first."
ACS67 Posted July 17, 2013 Posted July 17, 2013 got it. no fun allowed in the faith. Again, "fun"...what is "fun" to you in regards to the Catholic faith? Please define. I agree with Era. For EWTN to start showing programs that you and Ms. Fernandez (and Mr. Rocha, whoever he is) are advocating would require them to "spin off" onto another network/channel. If young people want that, then go for it...start your own channel. I'm standing my ground on this on Lil Red. I ain't budgin'.
Seven77 Posted July 17, 2013 Posted July 17, 2013 if you read the comments of the article, EWTN and their board has been rejecting proposals for different shows. so yeah, it is EWTN's fault. I've known about rejection of proposals from the year 2000 so I don't need to read the comments. if you mean that it is EWTN's fault for being boring sometimes I don't disagree. When it comes to my EWTN watching, I just tend to take the good and leave the bad out of everything. My problem with the article is that I'm not very sure whether Ms. Fernandez has a grasp of what it is she is criticizing. I do agree that boring shows must be remedied… the author articulates some things I've been thinking over for more than 10 years.
ACS67 Posted July 17, 2013 Posted July 17, 2013 I wouldn't go around quoting 19th century Russia as a model for the ideal society. He was Russian Orthodox (convert at that). This was written in 1982. He is now deceased (RIP). But the gist of what he is saying is valid. "Fun". Define "fun" in regards to the Catholic Faith?
Seven77 Posted July 17, 2013 Posted July 17, 2013 I guess they can change, but that's a big move. They've been successful with their brand. I agree with dUSt that they should stick to "serious" stuff and let other people come up with new networks with a different marketing focus. I agree with you and with what dUSt said. Leave it up to other Catholic networks to be hip.
Lil Red Posted July 17, 2013 Author Posted July 17, 2013 Again, "fun"...what is "fun" to you in regards to the Catholic faith? Please define. I agree with Era. For EWTN to start showing programs that you and Ms. Fernandez (and Mr. Rocha, whoever he is) are advocating would require them to "spin off" onto another network/channel. If young people want that, then go for it...start your own channel. I'm standing my ground on this on Lil Red. I ain't budgin'. i don't give a poo if you're "budgin'" or not. you think to be Catholic = being serious. Got it. i don't.
Lil Red Posted July 17, 2013 Author Posted July 17, 2013 I agree with you and with what dUSt said. Leave it up to other Catholic networks to be hip. yeah, leave it up to all those other really well known Catholic networks. :|
ACS67 Posted July 17, 2013 Posted July 17, 2013 Define "fun" in the Catholic faith. Define "serious" in the Catholic faith. I need definitions. Perhaps then we can debate. Until then...
Seven77 Posted July 17, 2013 Posted July 17, 2013 if you read the comments of the article, EWTN and their board has been rejecting proposals for different shows. so yeah, it is EWTN's fault. Just to clarify… I said that it was not EWTN's fault for the movies about Saints. E WTN didn't make those and they don't have many options for good movies about Saints.
Lil Red Posted July 17, 2013 Author Posted July 17, 2013 Just to clarify… I said that it was not EWTN's fault for the movies about Saints. E WTN didn't make those and they don't have many options for good movies about Saints. gotcha.
Lil Red Posted July 17, 2013 Author Posted July 17, 2013 (edited) Define "fun" in the Catholic faith. Define "serious" in the Catholic faith. I need definitions. Perhaps then we can debate. Until then... 1. Find a dictionary. 2. Look up the words "fun" and "serious". 3. Read the definitions of those words. 4. Realize that Lil Red doesn't really care about debating you. 5. Cry. Cry a lot. Edited July 17, 2013 by Lil Red
Era Might Posted July 17, 2013 Posted July 17, 2013 The problem is EWTN is not really an entertainment company, it is a Catholic media company. That's an important difference, I think. It has tried to become an entertainment company, of course, to mixed reviews. There is a real question whether EWTN will even survive. It was a remarkable story that grew from a remarkable woman (Mother Angelica), but now it moves into its own entity, a separate media company, not the network of a wise talking nun as it once was. How has EWTN moved into the online world? Will it produce online-based material? TV networks in general are losing ground to emerging media. There may not be many Catholic networks, but it's easier than ever for individual Catholics to produce their own stuff. If the problem is the quality of the entertainment, you have to give some leeway...it's not like EWTN is HBO recruiting the best talent in the world. I assume people work at EWTN for partly altruistic reasons.
PhuturePriest Posted July 17, 2013 Posted July 17, 2013 (edited) I love EWTN. Some of the shows can be boring, but they've been getting better recently. I personally like Father Mitch Pacwa's show, and I've always been a fan of Life on the Rock. I wish they would do reruns of The Pure Life, as I think that's one of the best programs they've ever done on EWTN. I also wish they would show speakers a little more often. Showing talks by Father Robert Barron, Tim Staples, Stephen Ray, Dr. Ray Guarendi (I'm a huge fan of his show on EWTN as well), etc. They show those only rarely, but those are the ones I'm most inclined to watch. Edited July 17, 2013 by FuturePriest387
Lil Red Posted July 17, 2013 Author Posted July 17, 2013 The problem is EWTN is not really an entertainment company, it is a Catholic media company. That's an important difference, I think. It has tried to become an entertainment company, of course, to mixed reviews. There is a real question whether EWTN will even survive. It was a remarkable story that grew from a remarkable woman (Mother Angelica), but now it moves into its own entity, a separate media company, not the network of a wise talking nun as it once was. How has EWTN moved into the online world? Will it produce online-based material? TV networks in general are losing ground to emerging media. There may not be many Catholic networks, but it's easier than ever for individual Catholics to produce their own stuff. If the problem is the quality of the entertainment, you have to give some leeway...it's not like EWTN is HBO recruiting the best talent in the world. I assume people work at EWTN for partly altruistic reasons. good post. you said what i wanted to in regards of online media, except i didn't have the energy to type all that ish out.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now