An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Question Relating To A Guy

ChristinaTherese

ChristinaTherese

So, a while ago I was on facebook chat with a friend from Spain. I haven't really talked to him often, maybe once every few months, since I met him and spent a week at his house about two years ago. (It made sense, because our parents know each other and his family was hosting me in Barcelona.) As I was leaving chat, since I had to go to orchestra, he implied that he had an extremely longstanding crush on me and I didn't have the presence of mind to tell him that I'm discerning, he's the child of Protestant missionaries in Spain, and there is no romantic relationship going to happen between the two of us unless he becomes Catholic and I stop discerning religious life. So I just left his comment hanging after a bit an incredulous "What??" type of answer, since he hadn't been explicit in the first place, and left for rehearsal. It's been a while, maybe a month or two, but... do you guys think that it's fine to leave it at that until our next contact, or that I should somehow try to convey to him that I'm discerning. (Interestingly, I was talking to him about that a bit over a year ago.... I'm not sure if he remembers, though. And I wasn't as nearly sure, then. And I might have been talking to him about how things were incredibly awkward with another guy, which would have complicated matters in his mind.)

So.... What do y'all think?

Christina,

If this guy is still pursuing you, then tell him, that you are seriously discerning. This way, you won't lead him on, only to break the news later. If not, then just don't say anything to him.

Edited by savvy

He may think he has made a major mistake by being honest with you and now you've not replied because you've rejected his suggestion or somehow shocked by it. I would personally try and open a general chat with him and see if he raises the issue again or not. If he doesn't then leave it be, but at least the fact you've initiated chat generally indicates you're not seeing his comment as something that's an ongoing problem between you.

Spem in alium

In my view, you should only tell him you're discerning if he makes his feelings for you explicit or brings up the subject again. 

Good luck with whatever you decide! :)