An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is This Dicernment?

Annie12

Is discernment merely the unraveling of the desires God has placed in your soul? Or, is it different?

thepiaheart

I think that's at the core of it, yes. What's important to remember, I think, is that the unraveling of God's desires doesn't take place in a vacuum; it occurs in the midst of trials and pressures and the practicalities of real life -- and that sanctity is not something abstract, that this unraveling is not something abstract, but is occurring from moment to moment in different ways in each person's life.

Is discernment merely the unraveling of the desires God has placed in your soul? Or, is it different?

I would say discernment is the process of working out what God has created you to be and do (in a Vocation sense), or wants you to do at a given time (in response to a situation or proposal).  :detective:

thepiaheart

I would say discernment is the process of working out what God has created you to be and do (in a Vocation sense), or wants you to do at a given time (in response to a situation or proposal).  :detective:

I agree with this. I presume that one is seeking God's will always; it is when we strive for His will that we can comfortably say He'll work through our desires, because we fundamentally desire His will.

If God's will is the one thing a person is striving for though, the desires upon their heart will lead them to Gods will. Right? Since God has placed them there. Or is it more like we have to follow what God is saying to us outside of what our heart desires?

If God's will is the one thing a person is striving for though, the desires upon their heart will lead them to Gods will. Right? Since God has placed them there. Or is it more like we have to follow what God is saying to us outside of what our heart desires?

It depends whether what we feel, or at least say is our heart's desire, is following what God is saying to us or whether it's something else having an influence. Sin, Insecurity, ego, infatuation, naivety, guilt, selfishness, and a host of other things can cloud our hearts and minds. The church has extensive entrance stages, evaluation and formation for those entering orders to try and mitigate this. Ideally people would employ equal caution and thought around marriage.

Discernment needs time and other people, and plenty of soul searching and listening. Have you a spiritual director? If not you might find one useful as they help you be honest with yourself and move in the direction towards what God maybe saying to you.  

maximillion

I agree with Benedictus and thepiaheart, and would add, it would be unusual ( though not entirely unknown) for God to want you to do something for which you didn't have an aptitude or natural inclination.

It is these aptitudes and natural inclinations which He can use, improve upon and add to by Grace, which then need to be tested in the way Benedictus mentions, through the agency of an SD, Vocation Director, PP or whomever, as appropriate.

MarysLittleFlower

I think it does help to be open to "anything God might will"... maybe then we would open to receive His grace more so that our desires can be like His and anything not of Him can be purified? I do think that often God does place a desire in our hearts though. As  others have said, we're not alone to discern but we discern with the Church and spiritual direction :) prayer is very important of course too!

• 5 weeks later...
abrideofChrist

I agree with Benedictus and thepiaheart, and would add, it would be unusual ( though not entirely unknown) for God to want you to do something for which you didn't have an aptitude or natural inclination.

It is these aptitudes and natural inclinations which He can use, improve upon and add to by Grace, which then need to be tested in the way Benedictus mentions, through the agency of an SD, Vocation Director, PP or whomever, as appropriate.

Good ideas for testing this.

PhuturePriest

I define discernment as listening to God and following what He is telling you to do. Unfortunately, a lot of us (Myself included) are either only doing one of them or neither at all.