An Old School Catholic Message Board

Poor Clare Community

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

Has anyone visited this order? :) I came across their website... they seem wonderful! the only thing I can't find on their website are the requirements to be considered for entrance... does anyone know?

http://www.rockfordpoorclares.org/

(by the way... I'm sorry I have such a poor memory for the names! Rockford sounds so familiar yet I don't remembering looking at this website, maybe it changed and I looked at it before, I don't know! I think it's been mentioned here before)

I came across them now because I was looking at this website, so interesting, and there are other orders described as well in a similar way :)

http://www.cloisteredlife.com/poor-clares/

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

I had two friends enter there.  One was admitted--with cancer!--and ultimately passed away.  The then-Abbess, Mother Dorothy,

told the community that the sister was sent to them, perhaps, to "teach us how to die!"  My friend had been rejected by quite a

few religious orders because of her health...so, Mother Dorothy displayed much charity and wisdom.  She is now the Abbess at

the daughter-foundation in Minooka.  The other woman left before final vows. 

I stayed at the Rockford monastery (in the guest quarters) several times--and found the community to be faithful and knd followers

of St. Francis and St. Clare.  They now have an age limit (45, I believe), but have shown willingness to consider belated vocations

(or transfers) with good cause.

VeniJesuAmorMi

I have never discerned with the Poor Clares, but I always thought this was a beautiful community. I looked up this thread that Chiquitunga posted about a former PMer who entered; pictures of her Clothing (very beautiful!) It was so nice that she wore a blue sash around her wedding dress! It reminds me of Our Lady of Lourdes. I don't know if you have seen the thread, but here is the link. :)

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/123822-little-birthday-gift-to-our-blessed-mother-sr-mary/

MarysLittleFlower

Thank you! :) I'm in my late 20s but I'm still discerning and need to pay off loans etc and sometimes I get afraid that many orders that have an age limit of something like 30, won't accept me cause I'd apply too late. I don't know if God would call me to religious life but it's still a question that came up in my mind. I'm trying to find good traditional orders that have an age limit of 35 or older, just in case.

Chiquitunga

I had two friends enter there.  One was admitted--with cancer!--and ultimately passed away.  The then-Abbess, Mother Dorothy,

told the community that the sister was sent to them, perhaps, to "teach us how to die!"  My friend had been rejected by quite a

few religious orders because of her health...so, Mother Dorothy displayed much charity and wisdom.  She is now the Abbess at

I stayed at the Rockford monastery (in the guest quarters) several times--and found the community to be faithful and knd followers

of St. Francis and St. Clare.  They now have an age limit (45, I believe), but have shown willingness to consider belated vocations

(or transfers) with good cause.

Wow, that is wonderful to hear! & I have heard Mother Dorothy is very open to older vocations at their foundation in Minooka ~ http://poorclaresjoliet.org/

MarysLittleFlower, I share your feelings. It's a little scary when you see age limits like 30 (or even 27! I think I saw once for the Benedictines of Mary on their old site) especially when one knows they will not be able to enter still for some time. Trust...

Thank you for posting that thread on Sr. Mary Agnes, Veni! The Rockford PCCs are wonderful! & they have published a number of great books too, like on Blessed Marie Celine & Sr. Mary of the Trinity (correction is made in the book that her title was just "Trinity") & her revelations from Our Lord :heart: <-- MarysLittleFlower, I especially recommend the last two!

graciandelamadrededios

Rockford Poor Clare Colettines used to be a charter member of the Federation of Mary Immaculate but eventually, they have chosen to withdraw their membership.  I cannot disclose the reason here.

The have kept the habit but somewhat different from the rest of the members of FMI; their habit is longer in lenght and sleeves and their veils longer.  They also kept the mantles.  Minooka Poor Clare Monastery follows the same habit prescription since it is the daughter house of Rockford.

Few years back, Mother Abbess, PCC of Rockford Monastery sent me two bookslets published from their monastery.  

inperpetuity

Wow, this is so amazing! I never heard about this. I visited Rockford in 2004 and got to meet Bishop Doran. 

Just wanted to add...that when sister became very ill, she was given a small television (!) to keep in her cell.  It helped

her with the insomnia and anxiety she was feeling.  Talk about charity and a lack of rigidity (regarding "rules")!  Prior

to entering, sister had a wonderful habit of offering Masses for the Holy Souls in Purgatory--and when she passed away,

my other friend was approaching her cell and heard dozens of voices...singing, praising God.  Of course, only Norma

Jean was there as she opened the door.

The Rockford Poor Clares are fine, fine group of prayerful women!