An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do Communities With Latin Mass Accept Older Vocations?

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

Just as the title says. :)

I looked at the Benedictine Sisters of Mary, Queen of Apostles - who are wonderful - but their age limit is 28. I'm 27 and still need to discern whether God is calling me to religious life, then pay off my loans, figure out or take care of some other things, etc, - so I got a little discouraged... because I'm wondering if other orders with the Latin Mass have lower age limits as well, but if God calls me, it might take me a bit of time just out of necessity. I'm looking at orders with the Latin Mass because that's a spirituality I'm really drawn to, but I'm trying to leave it up to God where He calls me. 

Anyways... a lot of the orders don't seem to have a website where I can check this information... I was wondering if anyone knows of orders with the Latin Mass (like FSSP, Institute of Christ the King, etc) - accept vocations up to 35 or older.

Thanks! :)

VeniJesuAmorMi

Have you heard of or looked into the Slaves of The Immaculate Heart of Mary? They are a traditional religious Order living the spirituality of Saint Louis Marie de Montfort's "True Devotion to Mary" through Total Consecration. They do have the Traditional Latin Mass. They say that the age limit is 30, but I couldn't find anywhere that says about older vocations. If your interested in the community it would be good to contact and ask. Here is the link about the Sisters if your interested: http://www.saintbenedict.com/theorder/sisters.html

However if your drawn to a more contemplative community then it may not be here. They have a very nice balance of prayer and work though; here is a list of the work that they do:

Teach and administrate at IHM School in Still River

Write and research articles for “From the Housetops”

Typeset all publications

Cook for the community of Brothers and Sisters Sew habits and altar needs for the community

Maintain sacristies for IHM Chapel and Gate of Heaven Chapel

Direct “Morning Star Camp for Catholic Girls”- 2 weeks regular and 1 week leadership

Maintain two guest houses and gift shop

Operate the community library

Make altar breads (pending)

As you said, where you are meant to be is what matters. I hope you find out soon enough. :)

inperpetuity

There are 5 communities in this country who have the Traditional Latin Mass exclusively and they are mostly cloistered contemplatives:  Carmelites in Valparaiso, NE, Elysburg, PA, Benedictines of Mary, Gowersville, MO and the Benedictine sisters of Clear Creek in Hulbert, OK.  The Carmelites in Morristown, NJ are working on having it exclusively and accept older vocations, but you would not be considered an older vocation until you are over 35 in most cases with the Benedictines of Mary being the exception although they do consider women on an individual bases. And the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart as I just saw that VEJAM posted are teaching sisters.

If you are thinking that you may have a vocation then it would be good to contact some communities and at least begin a correspondence because it can take awhile before you actually visit depending on your circumstances. The sisters can help you with your discernment and answer your questions.

Edited by inperpetuity

You could try contacting the communities... sometimes they may make an exception on their age range.  Even if they are pretty strict about ages, they may be able to give you some suggestions.

inperpetuity

In addition to the community that VeniJesu posted, there is another community of the same order just down the road who do accept vocations up to 50.  I visited their convent to meet a priest I know who was there and they are a lovely group of sisters.  They have a young novice who was a postulant while I was there visiting.  These sisters are also active, but more contemplative than the group who actually have a school. They teach catechism to children and other things which they describe on their website.  Here is their website:  http://sistersofstbenedictcenter.org/community.html  (couldn't get the website to link)

Edited by inperpetuity

MarysLittleFlower

Thanks for the replies! I'll write more a bit later, but am I understanding correctly that many of them could accept people up to the 35? I agree it's a good idea to ask them.

There was also a Franciscan order I heard about that I keep forgetting the name of.... does anyone know which one I mean, and what their age limit is?

dymphnamaria

There was also a Franciscan order I heard about that I keep forgetting the name of.... does anyone know which one I mean, and what their age limit is?

You may be referring to the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate, their age limit is 35 (older candidates may be considered).

Chiquitunga

Thanks for the replies! I'll write more a bit later, but am I understanding correctly that many of them could accept people up to the 35? I agree it's a good idea to ask them.

Yes, 35 is really the most common for age limits. I know this is the limit for the Carmel of JMJ in Elysburg for instance. 

If you don't mind going overseas (or rather if the Lord is calling you) there are also the Adoratrices. I have heard they are open to older vocations too. 

http://www.institute-christ-king.org/vocations/sisters/