An Old School Catholic Message Board

Academic-oriented Orders?

thepiaheart

thepiaheart

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any orders beyond the active Dominican orders in which sisters are either required to have an academic degree (so as to use it) or it is necessary for the charism to pursue it? Any order of women which exists solely to teach on the university level? A long time ago a friend mentioned to me that there is an order in which women must have a PhD -- but she wasn't sure if that was right, and sounds impossible to me, but . . . maybe?

Thanks!

Little Flower

I know that the Sisters of Life are required to have degrees. However they do not teach.

Is this because you want to be around other well-educated people, or because you would like to teach at universities? I'm sure if you have the ability to teach at a college level, if you enter an order which has some (even if not all) college teachers, you would probably be assigned to teach there, if it were God's will

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any orders beyond the active Dominican orders in which sisters are either required to have an academic degree (so as to use it) or it is necessary for the charism to pursue it? Any order of women which exists solely to teach on the university level? A long time ago a friend mentioned to me that there is an order in which women must have a PhD -- but she wasn't sure if that was right, and sounds impossible to me, but . . . maybe?

Thanks!

Yes, the Alma Mercy Sisters educate their sisters to the highest level possible in their field. At least so said a sister I interviewed who had discerned with them.

And like Little Flower says, if you just want to be around other highly educated women, you might check out Regina Laudis Abbey. Though I think may still not be accepting new vocations. I don't believe they've finished their expansion yet, so they're rapidly running out of room (if they're not out already).

thepiaheart

Is this because you want to be around other well-educated people, or because you would like to teach at universities? I'm sure if you have the ability to teach at a college level, if you enter an order which has some (even if not all) college teachers, you would probably be assigned to teach there, if it were God's will

Well, my ideal order (though I don't think this is feasible) would be deeply contemplative but also very oriented toward academic formation among graduate students -- in fields such as philosophy and theology especially, but also literature, history, and psychology, and also serve as academically-minded sidekicks to, say, councils at the Vatican, doing research, writing, etc.; I feel as if there is a total lack of women, one, but definitely religious women, two, in those circles. I'm thinking here of Dominican friars who teach at pontifical institutes and at chaplaincies, etc., on a regular basis; the Nashville sisters are much more geo-centric and more rarely teach at universities. 

Edited to add: At this point I don't feel like there is an order in which I would feel as if I were using to total capacity the primary gifts the Lord has given me (and I've not discerned yet whether or not He wants to further employ those gifts in my vocation), but I'm deeply sure of my vocation to religious life (life in community, life bound by the vows, etc.), but yet my life really revolves around the academia, around reading, and around study, and the work I've done has been pretty extensive in those fields: and I don't necessarily feel called to stop doing it, to sacrifice the experience for a particular charism, or for personal use as a medium for sanctity (as among contemplative Dominicans, who are absolutely beautiful). A lot of this is totally hypothetical...

Edited by thepiaheart

Sponsa-Christi

Like the Alma Mercy Sisters, the Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist encourage very professional apostolates, and they value post-graduate education. I think their congregation has some university professors.

Also, I know you said no active Dominicans, but…the Nashville Dominicans do run one college, and there are a handful of them studying theology in Rome.

Another community worth checking out are the Dominican Sisters of Bridgeport. They’re a very new congregation which came out of the old Dominican Congregation of St. Mary of the Springs when that group decided to merge with two other Dominican communities.  I know a lot of people on VS might find their lack of a uniform habit a bit disappointing, but if this is something you could get past, the Bridgeport Dominicans are very orthodox, love the Church, and are committed to common prayers and a common life.

I believe they have at least one seminary professor in their community, and they value education and study in general. I think they would probably be quite supportive of a discerner who felt called to an academic apostolate.

OnlySunshine

Take a look at the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Peace...a new Private Association of the Faithful in the Diocese of

Charlotte http://www.qopbenedictines.com.  Sr. Gertrude Gillette spent 8 years ministering at Ave Maria University in

Florida--and was invited by Bishop Jurgis to establish a monastery in his diocese.  The website has a link to their

newsletter!

God bless you!

maximillion

Don't know if you mean in the Apostolate, but lots of Benedictine communities value academia, have their own publishing houses, conduct research etc.

I'm not quite sure how any community could be 'deeply contemplative' and at the same time have an active apostolate. Surely it is one or the other?

I agree with you Anselm!! Besides.. I wasn't a good student in the 70's and higher education never held a great attraction for me. Iv always associated Dominicans with teaching.. Because that was what my town had back in the day. Catholic schools- Dominican nuns. I wouldn't enter a community only to become a teacher in it!! That is just my perspective.

Sister Marie

I'm not quite sure how any community could be 'deeply contemplative' and at the same time have an active apostolate. Surely it is one or the other?

If you mean contemplative based on schedule, you are right that an active community couldn't be deeply contemplative.

However, being a contemplative is not reserved only for those in monasteries with set times of prayer.  Being a contemplative means much more than having an extensive prayer schedule and most active religious will say that they are deeply contemplative as well - its not the quantity of prayer but the quality of prayer.  The same is true for mothers and fathers who have a deep and personal relationship with God that pervades their whole existence.  Prayer is the lifting of ones mind and heart to God which can and should happen everywhere and at all times whether one be in silence in a monastery or at work in a classroom or at home taking care of a crying child.  They may not have extensive times of prayer but they most certainly are contemplatives.  Prayer and contemplation are not reserved for a select few and neither is holiness.

It most absolutely is not one or the other.