An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question About Closed And Repurposed Convents And Monasteries

nikita92

It really saddens me when a holy place such as a convent or monastery or even a church are closed and no longer service religious and lay people!! My father was a altar boy back in the late 1930's early 40's. The Catholic Church that he served in, was closed and sold to a couple as a private residence some years ago. They have managed to keep the structure intact and repurpose it to suit their lifestyle. I'm glad to hear that the Carmel of Saint Anne is going to be utilized for a wonderful purpose! These buildings have served their purpose well and have no doubt been filled with many many prayers over the years! Question- Does the holiness stay and remain in these structures after having been vacated or no longer used for the purpose intended? Does the spiritual aspect of our Lord remain within the walls in one way or another?? It just doesn't sit right with me, to turn a place of worship into a family residence.Yet I would choose that over being torn down, which is a sad ending as well. Your thoughts...

OnlySunshine

It's a pretty uncommon thing but all a Bishop has to do is decree that the Church is no longer a blessed sanctuary.  Most of the time, the structure is knocked down because of disrepair.  Unless the diocese is hurting for money, they rather not sell buildings that once were Churches. 

I believe it is the same with convents.

http://ct.dio.org/comment-and-dialogue/question-box-with-father-dietzen/when-church-must-be-closed-how-is-it-unblessed.html

http://www.catholicdoors.com/faq/qu751.htm

BarbTherese

Our old Carmelite Monastery (nuns) here in Adelaide is now Southern Cross Homes for the elderly and hence a most worthwhile identity for a pre-loved landmark in Adelaide, just as one comes out of the Adelaide hills.  Apparently a part of the old monastery and I think it is the original parlour is preserved and will remain so.  We have only three Sisters now in Adelaide and they are living in an older style quite pretty home in an Adelaide suburb.

My old childhood Church of St. Joseph was deconsecrated and then sold - to removalists of all things.  It really did break my child heart that a place that meant so much to me was sold to removalists. A new Church was built in a neighouring suburb, but I still can't bear to go in there and never did like it as a construction only, as a Church building.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Thank you for understanding B and thank you Mater for the references to the articles! I read them and it answered my question!;)

ChristinaTherese

I was in a monastery-turned-museum in Spain a couple of years ago. (The monks translated or read "banned texts" during the Inquisition, which is why it was abandoned.) Now it's a museum in as well preserved of a form as it can be. It felt, to me, like holy ground. It was probably one of my favorite places that I visited on that trip, just because it used to be a monastery. The place drew me out to pray, if that makes sense.

I didn't read what Mater said, so I don't know how that relates to this, FYI.

Our old Carmelite Monastery (nuns) here in Adelaide is now Southern Cross Homes for the elderly and hence a most worthwhile identity for a pre-loved landmark in Adelaide, just as one comes out of the Adelaide hills.  Apparently a part of the old monastery and I think it is the original parlour is preserved and will remain so.  We have only three Sisters now in Adelaide and they are living in an older style quite pretty home in an Adelaide suburb.

My old childhood Church of St. Joseph was deconsecrated and then sold - to removalists of all things.  It really did break my child heart that a place that meant so much to me was sold to removalists. A new Church was built in a neighouring suburb, but I still can't bear to go in there and never did like it as a construction only, as a Church building.

What is a "removalist"?

BarbTherese

What is a "removalist"?

Thank you for asking.

A removalist here in Australia shifts furniture from point A to point b or whatever with large trucks or vans.  The church property became an office, large shed and car park.  The Church had been at the end of my street as a child where the deli or general store was located just over the road.  It was deconsecrated, sold and then pulled down completely. Then it then became "Badenoch's Removalists", I used to pass it often and my heart used to go down to my boots.

If it makes sense to anyone, it rather illustrates what was to happen amongst some Catholics many years down the line from my childhood.  What was once a rich and beautiful spirituality (illustrated by the original Church of St Joseph) became cold rational secular reasoning (illustrated by Badenoch's Removalists and a money making venture).  I was reading something yesterday I think related to refugees in a thread on the subject in Open Mic.  The article reported a priest's comments and I rejoiced in the comments and all those educated and particularly gifted in this area, who can speak Gospel values in quite secular terms that must make some sense to the secular mind.  It's not only priests and religious called out of 'the world' - all the baptized are.  We are called out of the world for the world as leaven, each in our own particular vocation, the duties of which determine often how, when and where we are to strive to be that leaven everywhere at all times.  We all know why. 

Edited by BarbaraTherese