An Old School Catholic Message Board

T. O. Carmelites?

Pia Jesu

With so many wonderful and informative posts on Carmelite nuns, history, customs, etc., I was

wondering if anyone on VS is a Third Order (Secular) Carmelite?  Professing or promising (?)

the evangelical counsels makes them full members of the order--sharing the charism, the dedi-

cation to prayer, community and service.  I'm not familiar with the formation process, but from

what I've read online, it lasts 4-5 years.  Hope there is someone leading this way of life that

is willing to share their experiences.

St. George Preca, Priest and OCD Tertiary...pray for us!

I'm a Secular Carmelite (which is Discalced, vs. a TO Carm).  Our formation process lasts 5-6 years. 

After initial visits (each community sets its own requirement for how many are needed), one first spends a year as an aspirant.  This is a time of very introductory material.  If a positive discernment is made on the part of the aspirant AND the community council, then the candidate is clothed and begins the more formal, in depth formation period. 

The first part of this lasts for two years after which, another discernment is made.  Again, if both candidate and council make a positive discernment, then the candidate makes their First Promise which is for three years.  The OCDS promised includes the three evangelical counsels plus the counsels of the Beatitudes.

If at the end of the three year First Promise, if there is another positive discernment, then the candidate is allowed to make the Definitive Promise which is life long.

All that said, we don't consider formation to then be ended.  There is always on-going formation as we continue to grow and change and deepen in our relationship with God and in our understanding of the vocation.  I'm soon to celebrate my silver anniversary of profession and feel like I'm still learning and growing within this vocation.

The specific content of the intial formation process will vary by province.

Elizabeth M Korves OCDS

Oh...I should add...

The Discalced refer to ourselves as Secular Carmelites (OCDS for Order of Carmel Discalced Secular).  The Order of Carmel refers to their third order as Lay Carmelites (TO Carm for Third Order Carmelite).

Elizabeth M Korves OCDS

I'm also a Secular Carmelite, and I'm the Formation Director for my Community.  I've never formally said I was a Carmelite Secular, but now you know.... ;)   Just remember, I don't speak for my Community or my Order... but I'll share what I have to share with you. :)

Just so it is clearly noted, dUSt made it VERY clear a few years back that he wants Vocation Station to JUST be for vocations to Priesthood and Religious Life.  Probably an extended discussion of a Secular (or Lay) Community or Oblates (the Benedictine equivalent) or Associate Memberships in religious community ought to go in the Transmundane Lane Section.....

I'll back everything that Elizabeth said. (Hi Elizabeth! :buddies2: ) (and no, you never have met me in real life!)

I'm in a different province, but the same basic process exists throughout the Order.   There is a formal formation program developed by each province, and communities have a little leeway in terms of making it work for their community.  For example, in my community we have found it helpful for the Formation Director or one of the Councilors to meet with each person in initial formation (that 5-6 year period... or more like 7 all told) almost every month by phone in addition to the monthly group formation, because that way we can really work through any questions, problems, individual needs the candidate might need.  We also work through the same material, but in a little different schedule & format.  But the content is comparable.

I would also add that the stress in the OCDS Secular Order is on FORMING Carmelites, on journeying with them.  For that reason, the Community and the candidate work together to determine what is best for the community and what is best for the candidate.  Sometimes people need a little more time at one or another (or even several!) places along the way.   So... the times Elizabeth gave are minimum times... it's not unheard of for either the candidate or the community to ask for (or suggest) that someone take a little more time along the way.   God works with each of us differently.

The Lay Carmelites (the O.Carm. branch verses the Discalced Carmelites) have a distinct formation process.  They are a separate Order... and our beloved Cousins. 

Edited by AnneLine

BarbTherese

Are the promise ceremonies private or public? 

Or is there no ritual or ceremony whatsoever?

I don't mean public in the sense of Canon Law putting one in the consecrated state - but a ceremony where family and friends can attend - both OCDS and O.Carm?

Thank you for explaining these things...and forgive me for not posting the topic to Transmundane Lane!