An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discernment Tips

MarysLittleFlower

thepiaheart

Thanks everyone! :) those are all great ideas!

I should clarify perhaps, I'm not wondering about discernment to religious life in particular, but how to know if Jesus is calling a person to only have Him as their Beloved and not marry anyone. This can include various vocations such as consecrated virginity, religious life, etc.

You definitely must read And You are Christ's.

http://www.amazon.com/And-You-Are-Christs-ebook/dp/B0057Z7H4U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374777920&sr=8-1&keywords=and+you+are+christ%27s

Chiquitunga

just ordered it! :like:

I like this ... "Vocation is like a little seed - it has to be nourished. You have to keep on looking after it. Vocation cannot be forced. It has to come from above. The person whom Christ has chosen for Himself - she knows. Maybe she doesn't know how to express it, but she knows." ~ Blessed Teresa of Calcutta

Chiquitunga

also, I've always loved this little comment made by a Roswell PCC in response to Diane Sawyer's question here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OgKKuTCS-gw&t=89

p.s. I cooresponded with the PCCs in Palos Park about this and they agreed that some of her questions were a little... silly, the worse being, "But celibacy in 2007?!"   :hehe:

Spem in alium

A Sister whose Congregation I'm discerning with gave me a discernment booklet that's really helped me. I will share some points from it when I have more time :)

Here are some points that have really helped me.

Practical tips for discernment

1. Take action. Visit religious communities for a short period of time. Being part of the environment and speaking with others can often help to discern where the attraction lies.
  2.  Read about each kind of vocation so that you can be familiar with them.
  3.  Consecrate yourself to the Blessed Virgin Mary and ask her to take you under her maternal care. 
  4. Frequent the Sacraments. Go to daily Mass if possible and to Reconciliation often. Spend time in Eucharistic Adoration. 
  5. Try to live the religious life while still in the world. Spend time in prayer or spiritual reading. Make an examination of conscience for each day. Remain recollected during work.
  6. Remember there is no commitment. If you were to formally enter a community as a postulant, you do not take perpetual vows until 6-8 years into religious life. The postulancy and novitiate are considered times of ongoing discernment, and a person is free to leave at any stage if they feel God calling them elsewhere.

Steps to hearing your call

1.  Become aware. Spend time in prayer and alone with God, and ask Him for assistance. Consider the perspectives of those around you - have you ever been told you'd make a good sister/brother/priest, etc.? Have you been invited to be active in ministry? Has anyone recognised gifts and talents in you and called them forth? Do you acknowledge that these voices could be the voice of God leading you toward your life's vocation? What do you hear, and to whom do you listen? 
  2. Gather information and make yourself aware of your options. Consider these questions - what are your gifts? Where are you best suited to serve? What motives are driving you in your choices? Where are you resisting God's invitation?
  3. Choose what you understand to be God's Will. Consider these questions - what is the most loving choice you can make? What is the choice that will help you to be most fully yourself?
  4.  Look for confirmation of your choice. Consider - what happens within you? Is there peace, even in the midst of some doubts? What happens when you share your choice with other people? Do others say..."Oh, I can see you as..."? How do you understand negative responses that occur within you? How do you interpret negative responses that you receive from family or friends? How do you listen to these guides? Do you seek to find God's voice in the voices of those who know and love you? Do you take any criticism or concern as an opportunity to examine your motivations and find yourself strengthened rather than weakened in your resolve?

Signs of a vocation

Consider whether these signs apply to you.

1. A Desire for the Life. Ask yourself:

Am I inclined or drawn towards this life?
    Does it give me a certain amount of satisfaction, enthusiasm, joy, etc. to think about it? Remember: God does not draw us to a vocation against our will. We are drawn to what we are naturally inclined.
    Am I free to choose?

2. The Right Motivation. Ask yourself:

What motivation is behind my interest or attraction? Are they spiritual motives? What are the motives based on?

3. Fitness for the Life. Ask yourself:

Could I live this life comfortably, cheerfully, peacefully and without significant tensions?
    Is there a connection between interest and ability?

• 4 weeks later...