An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sisters Of Our Lady Immaculate

AveMariaPurissima

Yes, I discerned with them a long time back. They are a beautiful community, if someone is called to them. I was not. Their charism is to pray for lapsed Catholics.  Their apostolates are catechesis, and caring care of the elderly. Most of them are young. I had lunch with one of their founders, since they have two. She was really sweet. 

ChristinaTherese

This is a really random comment, but did you notice their veils? It appears that they have either a band or a cap (I can't tell which, of course) of a stretchy ridged knit fabric (I don't know the name... but my grandmother would, although I'm not going to ask her any times soon) around their heads and they pin the veil on over that. It looks like a wonderful design to me, since it's so easy to make (to appearances, as I'm just looking at what I can see) and would easily fit many different heads.

hoosieranna

A former PMer entered them a while ago.  I think she's Sister Marguerite.  She'd be perpetually professed by now if she stayed.  She used to post after entering.

Edited by Nadezhda

Totally Franciscan

Under the Vocations drop box, Meet The Sisters, Sr. Marguerite is listed as 5th year temporary professed!  Thanks be to God!

maximillion

Those caps are pretty standard in the religious life world. They are used widely by lots of communities.

I believe there is another former PM'er in the temporary professed here--though I'm not sure of her PM name, I think it had "Therese" in it.  She has been featured in some of their vocation videos.

truthfinder

Maximillion, I think what was being pointed out about the caps was the fabric from which they are made.  I've noticed it before too - it almost looks like some sort of soft t-shirt like-knit material.

ChristinaTherese

Maximillion, I think what was being pointed out about the caps was the fabric from which they are made.  I've noticed it before too - it almost looks like some sort of soft t-shirt like-knit material.

Yep. And the fantastic thing is that that kind of fabric is so extremely stretchy that you could probably easily have just one pattern and put it on any head. If someone had an unusually large or small head it might have to be adjusted, but that's probably pretty rare. And if it's like I'm thinking it's probably very comfortable too, so if it's stretched a bit tight it shouldn't be much of a problem as far as comfort. (Besides which, it's just fun to look at habits (okay, and a lot of other things) and reverse engineer how they were made.)

OnlySunshine

My online friend, Rochelle, entered there and is now a novice who was clothed in the religious habit on September 8th, 2011.  She is now known as Sr. Margaret Mary.  I believe she is scheduled to make First Vows later this year (possibly on Sept. 8th).

a%2Bnovice%2BSr%2BMM.jpg

I remember Sr. Marie-Therese's s/n here on Phatmass.  It was Mari Therese and she is currently in temporary vows which she took last year.  :)

http://solisisters.ca/blog/2012/08/28/first-profession-of-vows-of-sr-marie-therese/

MeteorShower

Hi there!
I was in contact with their former vocation director, Sister Mary Catherine, for a long time via phone and email. She is a wonderful Sister and she cared very much about helping me on my vocational journey, regardless of where God was ultimately calling me.

Along with caring for the elderly and catechism, they are also in the early stages of expanding into school teaching. 

They seem a very lovely and holy community!

Edited by MeteorShower