An Old School Catholic Message Board

Irish Mef Hermit Nun Desperately Needs Vocations

Gabriela

I just stumbled across this totally randomly (I was searching for full episodes of the DSMMEs on American Bible Challenge!). It is a really interesting (and sad) story. Please don't let this turn into a MOF versus MEF debate. This woman has very strong opinions on VII. I hope we can all accept that this is one woman's opinion and discuss other things about the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kXPuX5RsFc

BTW, here is her webpage, with email address: http://www.catholic-church.org/hermitage/index.html

Edited by curiousing

Chiquitunga

wow, interesting! thank you for posting this curiousing! I have heard of her. I will watch this later tonight :like:

inperpetuity

Thanks for posting this, Curiosing.  Prayer and Penance for the salvation of souls, what a beautiful idea. 

ChristinaTherese

ok, showing my ignorance here....what is MOF and MEF?

MOF: Mass in the Ordinary Form, Novus Ordo, the form of the Mass that is normally offered now (post VII)

MEF: Mass in the Extraordinary Form, Latin Mass, TLM, the form of the Mass before VII (following the 1962 rubrics)

I have heard of Mass in older forms as well.... But the only one I heard of was at at church in Rome (I don't know which one) that apparently has a dispensation to perform the Mass in any rite at all. (I wonder why they have that dispensation....)

Sponsa-Christi

Anyone interested in discerning with this Sister might want to double-check about her current status within the Church. I'm not sure her plans for a community have the endorsement of the local Church authorities any longer...though hopefully she personally remains in communion with the Church. 

Still, I think her initial vision for a community of penitent hermit-nuns in Ireland was a really beautiful one. (But speaking for myself, she lost me when she started talking about the post-Vatican II era Church as a separate religion.)

OnlySunshine

Anyone interested in discerning with this Sister might want to double-check about her current status within the Church. I'm not sure her plans for a community have the endorsement of the local Church authorities any longer...though hopefully she personally remains in communion with the Church. 

Still, I think her initial vision for a community of penitent hermit-nuns in Ireland was a really beautiful one. (But speaking for myself, she lost me when she started talking about the post-Vatican II era Church as a separate religion.)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.  I thought it was a bit fishy when she started talking about "traditional practices" with no mention of the current Holy Father or her Bishop.  :unsure:

I read that she had diocesan approval when she opened, though I did read every page on the website and did not see any mention of the bishop there. Could someone in Ireland maybe check on this?

Hope I haven't posted about a community not in communion with the Church...  :unsure: 

ok, showing my ignorance here....what is MOF and MEF?

I had to ask the same thing when I first joined Phatmass. :-)

MOF: Mass in the Ordinary Form, Novus Ordo, the form of the Mass that is normally offered now (post VII)

MEF: Mass in the Extraordinary Form, Latin Mass, Traditional Latin Mass, the form of the Mass before VII (following the 1962 rubrics)

I have heard of Mass in older forms as well.... But the only one I heard of was at at church in Rome (I don't know which one) that apparently has a dispensation to perform the Mass in any rite at all. (I wonder why they have that dispensation....)

Carthusians have the right to celebrate their own form of the Mass. At least I think it's the Carthusians... it's one of the really austere orders, anyway.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.  I thought it was a bit fishy when she started talking about "traditional practices" with no mention of the current Holy Father or her Bishop.  :unsure:

I thought it was clear that she's remained in union with the Church, at least personally (if not as the superior of a house—that needs checking). I was more confused by the fact that she's a Benedictine semi-hermit. That's pretty weird. I've never heard of Benedictine hermits. Has anyone else? If you look at the website, it is an unusual mix of devotions/charisms. Another good reason for someone to check up with her bishop.

truthfinder

Some Benedictine monasteries do have hermits, but I've only ever heard of the male communities as actually having hermits. It's odd to because on her website she does list becoming a lay sister, which has no standing under current canon law.

ChristinaTherese

Carthusians have the right to celebrate their own form of the Mass. At least I think it's the Carthusians... it's one of the really austere orders, anyway.

I forgot about religious orders, and was thinking about other rites that were commonly celebrated by most people (apart from any religious order) at one time or another. I know that there is a Dominican rite as well, Carmelites I think I've heard of... I'm sure there are plenty. Good catch! ;)

reminiscere

http://tuamarchdiocese.org/category/ministries_service/religious_orders/religious_orders_of_sisters/

The Hermitage continues to be listed on the frequently-updated diocesan website.

I thought it was clear that she's remained in union with the Church, at least personally (if not as the superior of a house—that needs checking). I was more confused by the fact that she's a Benedictine semi-hermit. That's pretty weird. I've never heard of Benedictine hermits. Has anyone else? If you look at the website, it is an unusual mix of devotions/charisms. Another good reason for someone to check up with her bishop.