An Old School Catholic Message Board

Annie12

What should we make of the number 666 when we see it in everyday life? I know a lot of people who come across it and are like "Oh! NO! It's da mark of the devil!". So, would it be considered superstitious to see a random 666 and think that the devil is present there? Or, is it part of our faith since it's in the bible (Revelation 13)? My intuition is telling me its superstitious but if I am wrong please correct me! :paperbag:

I think it's superstition. God didn't assign the number 666 to the devil for his sole use.

I read somewhere, although I'd never be able to find the source now, that it's not really the number 666 - it was a design that looked like three 6's arranged in a swirl, with all three of the lower parts of the 6's touching. I saw it once, and it looked to me like a symbol for wind, like a tornado unleashed or something.

The point is that the number is not magic, nor even always indicative of the devil's presence.

I'd say superstition.  Yesterday we sang #666 in our hymnal at Mass.  When I worked retail and fast food, without fail, someone would always buy something extra if their total rang up $6.66 (never would they buy less, always extra lol).

KnightofChrist

Isn't the number associated with Nero in some way? 

There are various parallels between Nero and the Anti-Christ. Nero was used as a type, a prefigure, or a foreshadow of the Anti-Christ.

CatholicsAreKewl

There are various parallels between Nero and the Anti-Christ. Nero was used as a type, a prefigure, or a foreshadow of the Anti-Christ.

I meant this: "The Greek version of the name and title transliterates into Hebrew as × ×¨×•×Ÿ קסר, and yields a numerical value of 666"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_beast

Or did you mean that also?

Oh.

I thought we were all going to sing an iron maiden song.

*sigh* *walks out of thread*

I thought some jews believe that gods true name is 216 characters long (in either Hewbrew or Aramaic). 6x6x6 is 216

I saw that in a Darren Aronofsky film.