An Old School Catholic Message Board

Any Traditional Latin Mass Visitation Orders?

ForeverLillian

ForeverLillian

Does anyone know of the handful of Visitation orders if there are any that have the liturgy in Latin or just sometimes, chant/hymns or office in Latin? 

Or just in general which is the most traditional.

Thanks!

Julie de Sales

Do you mean traditional communities from the Order of the Visitation? 

There is the monastery of Treviso, Italy, who preserves the heart of St Francis of Sales and the nuns wear the traditional habit, and there are also some communities in France who are flourishing. But from what I know none of them has the liturgy in Latin.

ForeverLillian

That's what I meant.

That's fine though, I was just checking. As long as they have the traditional spirit and habit, that's what's most important.

Thank you for answering my question!

Little Carmelite

That's what I meant.

That's fine though, I was just checking. As long as they have the traditional spirit and habit, that's what's most important.

Thank you for answering my question!

I know just from my discernment that there are two 'federations' the 1st federation is more traditional and cloistered where the 2nd federation is not always silent and they consider themselves semi cloistered. 
I don't know if any of them use the Latin office or Liturgy but it wouldn't hurt to ask them. 
Here's a link for you-
http://cloisters.tripod.com/us_vhm_first_fed/

OnlySunshine

Does anyone know of the handful of Visitation orders if there are any that have the liturgy in Latin or just sometimes, chant/hymns or office in Latin? 

Or just in general which is the most traditional.

Thanks!

You might want to contact the Visitation Order in Tyringham, MA.  According to the vocation page on their website:

Our priest Chaplains are the Marian Fathers of the Immaculate Conception from the Divine Mercy Shrine in Stockbridge, Massachusetts. They celebrate the Eucharistic Liturgy with us daily at 7:45 AM. Our Mass is usually in English with a Latin Mass (Novus Ordo) when a priest is available to do this.

The Visitation in the US is Faithful to the norms of Vatican II for Liturgy. Any community can incorporate Latin Mass parts or hymns and prayers according to their own personal choices as a Community.

abrideofChrist

The most traditional Visitation convents would probably not say the LOTH in Latin.  St. Francis didn't want them to say the Office to begin with, so I don't know why they would want to do it in Latin.

I discerned with the Visitandines for a short period and, while there are several very pious, traditional, faithful communities, I do not know of one that celebrates the MEF. Ever. Not even the MOF in Latin. Visitandines—even the cloistered ones—are pretty "connected" and "with the times". It's sort of part of their charism. (At least, it's the "feel" you get from them.) So I think the very idea of the MEF or of Latin (in contemporary times) might be anathema to their particular order.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

OnlySunshine

I discerned with the Visitandines for a short period and, while there are several very pious, traditional, faithful communities, I do not know of one that celebrates the MEF. Ever. Not even the MOF in Latin. Visitandines—even the cloistered ones—are pretty "connected" and "with the times". It's sort of part of their charism. (At least, it's the "feel" you get from them.) So I think the very idea of the MEF or of Latin (in contemporary times) might be anathema to their particular order.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

Please see my earlier post above.  It seems Tyringham does incorporate MOF in Latin when a priest is available to say the Mass in Latin.  ;)

Please see my earlier post above.  It seems Tyringham does incorporate MOF in Latin when a priest is available to say the Mass in Latin.  ;)

Oh! My bad! They would be (IMO) the most traditional Visitandine house in the US. Though the Rockville (VA) sisters are perfectly legit (and quite lovely!). 

OnlySunshine

Oh! My bad! They would be (IMO) the most traditional Visitandine house in the US. Though the Rockville (VA) sisters are perfectly legit (and quite lovely!). 

No problem!  I researched it quite extensively (big surprise, LOL) because I didn't think there was a Visitandine house in that celebrated the Mass in Latin but I was happy to be proven wrong.  :)