An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church As Servant-bride

God's Beloved

God's Beloved

Dear Friends ,

Recently , during the World Youth Day, Pope Francis mentioned about the Church as a Bride , a Mother, a Servant . It seems this theme was discussed  among bishops of Latin America several years ago.

I noticed a shift in the theology from the ancient concept of  the Church which somewhat led the Church to an elitist mentality  .......to the new focus on the Church as Servant.

Applying these models to real life in a society where people of multiple religions live together , I think the new model helps to avoid the Church coming across as an Arrogant institution that claims to be sinless and holier than the rest of humanity. The emphasis on Church as Servant implies humility, compassion , community, service , poverty ..........

I think All vocations are called to integrate the Servant image into their identities.

God's Beloved

If the entire Church is called to be a servant , then in every vocation the manner in which this is manifested is different  in kind and degrees.

The Holy Father calls himself the Servant of Servants.

In Consecrated life , every vocation manifests it differently.

In Consecrated virginity the focus is on the Maternal aspect of Service to the Church and the world.

In Active Religious life  maybe every institute has a different focus in their Service. Some serve the spiritual needs , some serve physical needs of the poor  , the sick  , some serve mainly the Church while others serve mainly people in the world........

Can compare the Servant imagery in the vocation of clergy ,  laity too.

But I wonder which vocation can claim the Title of Servant , called to manifest it in the fullest sense .

Suppose a discerner feels that God is calling him or her to be a Servant , then which vocation should he or she choose ?

BarbTherese

The Church is the Mystical Body of Christ on earth therefore the whole Church in it's various functions serves as servant to wherever they might be called.

Quite generally speaking, there are three signs of a vocation or call from God:

• Attraction to the life
  • Ability, including right motivation to live the life
  • Acceptance into the life

In other words, one chooses that vocation to which one is most attracted etc. etc.  If in doubt or needing confirmation - some sort of sound spiritual direction would be advised I should think until one makes up one's mind.  One decides and then carries through, commits to that way of life -  and then lives out the vocation faithful to Jesus, His Gospel,The Church.  There might be quite low points in that vocation which would ask spiritual direction to sort out - if unavailable, one might need to make up one's own mind and carry through trusting in Divine Providence.

Within all that  one serves as a servant in whichever area one is called or within the duties of that vocation.  Some duties are intrinsic to the vocation or lifestyle, role, itself - other personal duty calls or duties will unfold for a particular individual as their journey unfolds and in every vocation and journey regardless.  If ever in doubt, sound spiritual direction is the best way to travel.

Not to sure what is meant by "fullest sense of the word" but he or she who attains holiness in their particular journey is serving in the fullest sense of the word in Catholic theological and Gospel terms.  Some saints have had a few vocations in their journey.  Our saints do not come about because of their particular vocation, rather because of their heroic virtue in their journey.  http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-become-a-saint-in-the-catholic-church.html

Which vocation or role in The Church, lifestyle, best illustrates or witnesses to The Church.  I really don't think that there is one in particular at all - all vocations illustrate and witness to some aspect of the Life of Christ.............and rightly so.  We are in Grace, The Mystical Body of Christ on earth, continuing, in Grace, His Life here.  We are the different members that constitute The One Body and each member of any body whatsoever has different functions, servicing to constitute overall the one body.  When one states "The Church" one is stating "The Mystical Body of Christ on earth".

John 13: (Douay Rheims Catholic translation)

[6] He cometh therefore to Simon Peter. And Peter saith to him: Lord, dost thou wash my feet? Jesus answered, and said to him: What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.

Peter saith to him: Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him: If I wash thee not, thou shalt have no part with me.

...................[12] Then after he had washed their feet, and taken his garments, being set down again, he said to them: Know you what I have done to you? You call me Master, and Lord; and you say well, for so I am

If then I being your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; you also ought to wash one another' s feet.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

God's Beloved

I think  there are different vocational options  in the church with the charism of  Service / being servant  ---depending on gender.

Ordained men deacons, priests, bishops all have the servant imagery integrated in their vocations. But  for permanent deacons it may be most specific aspect of their identity and mission in the church.

Among women, some vocational options imitate Christ as Servant and others imitate Mother Mary as a Handmaid. However if a woman felt called to  make this the specific aspect of her identity and mission in the church , then i wonder which vocation would come closest to this personality.

Secular Institutes have the  charism  to be leaven in the world

Laity are called to be Salt, Light , Leaven

Consecrated virgins  although having Mary as a model and being dedicated to Service , still may not  have the servant imagery as a specific manifestation of the charism. Service towards the community is maternal and is derived from a spousal  not a servant relationship with Christ .

Apostolic religious  do have service in  the active apostolate as their charism  but is manifested in different degrees and kind among various institutes.

Contemplative religious or monastics also do not have this specific charism

All vocations have  servanthood / service  in their calling , thru participation in the calling of the Church in general to be a Servant in the world.