An Old School Catholic Message Board

Top 3 Life-changing Books

Kateri89

in no particular order:

-Facing Forgiveness: A Catholic's Guide to Letting Go of Anger and Welcoming Reconciliation by Sofield, Juliano, and Aymond

-Letters to a Young Catholic by George Weigel

-The Bad Catholic's Guide to Good Living by John Zmirak

runners up:

-The Cross and The Beatitudes by Fulton J. Sheen

-The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis

-Evangelical is Not Enough: Worship of God in Liturgy and Sacrament by Thomas Howard

I forgot this one!!!! Replace Lab's Supper with it on my list. :woot: Such a fabulous book.

I forgot this one!!!! Replace Lab's Supper with it on my list. :woot: Such a fabulous book.

Lab's Supper? :hehe: 

Chestertonian

Man's Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl

Libertarian Anarchy by Gerard Casey

The Everlasting Man by Gk Chesterton

Priests for the Third Millennium By (then) Msgr. Timothy Dolan. It's a volume of collected talks he gave as Rector Conferences when he was Rector of the NAC in Rome. It's been a great tool in my discernment. 

To Save A Thousand Souls By Fr.Brett Brannen . A great book I would recommend to any man, young or old, who is even thinking about a vocation to the Diocesan Priesthood. Reading it was the final 'kick' that it took for me to really consider (and pray about) entering the college seminary.

The Way, the Furrow and the Forge by St. Josemaria Escriva. Ammpax mentioned it a few times on PM, and the quotes sounded pretty good. Picked it up, and made it my spiritual reading for the past month or so during my holy hour. Pretty. Flippin', amesome. St. Josemaria Escriva, pray for us! 

Edited by BigJon16

1) Ordinary Work, Extraordinary Grace by Dr. Scott Hahn. This is Dr. Hahn's popular introduction to the spirituality of Opus Dei. A friend of mine kept inviting me to lectures about Opus Dei my freshman year, which I always avoided because I distrusted Opus Dei. This book changed my mind, and I'm very glad it did.

Amazing book, I need to reread it at some point, but I think my copy is back in WV. 

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

1.)  We're on a Mission from God the Generation x Guide to John Paul II, the Catholic Church and the real Meaning of Life by Mary Beth Bonacci  

Sorry about the out of control font on that one.  2.)  The Baltimore Catechism

3.  Undatable: 311 Things Guys do that Guarantee they won't be Dating or Having Sex.  

Amazing book, I need to reread it at some point, but I think my copy is back in WV.

I rank it ahead of Rome Sweet Home, but it's so much better if you've read Rome Sweet Home.

"Brideshead Revisited" by Evelyn Waugh

"The Long Loneliness" by Dorothy Day

"Letters to a  Young Poet" by Rilke