An Old School Catholic Message Board

Addressing A Priest

ithinkjesusiscool

ithinkjesusiscool

I have a problem. Social situations are kind of difficult for me. This may sound like awkward questions but I have my psychiatric diagnosis.

How am I supposed to address a Priest? How am I supposed to behave when meeting a Priest?

inunionwithrome

The first thing you say is, "Good morning, afternoon or evening Father". This is the greeting you give the priest.

Basilisa Marie

Yeah, just call him "Father."  There really isn't anything special, just show kindness and respect.  Priests are always in the business of helping people.  :) 

Call him Father and apart from that, don't treat him any differently from how you would treat anyone else. Priests are people too. :)

Prostrate before him and start stammering in awe. Priests are used to that kind of thing.

:lol4:

I say I don't care what you call me just don't call me late for dinner......

But seriously From The Testament of St. Francis:

“…the Lord gave me, and gives me still, such faith in priests who live according to the rite of the holy Roman Church because of their orders that, were they to persecute me, I would still want to have recourse to them…..And I act in this way because, in this world, I see nothing physically of the most high Son of God except His most holy Body and Blood which they receive and they alone administer to others. I want to have these most holy mysteries honored and venerated above all things and I want to reserve them in precious places.”

That was how St Francis approached the subject. In our times all a priest asks is that you treat him with the respect accorded to any brother or sister in Christ. Unless invited to do otherwise the title "Father" is used.

The most common time to interact with a priest is when leaving mass.  Often, the priest stands in the back of the church and shakes hands with people who are leaving.

So, you shake his hand, make eye contact, and say "Thank you, Father," or "Have a good day, Father."  Or respond to whatever he says to you, so if he says, 'Have a good day,' you say, "You too, Father."  

That's the basics, anyway!  

Basilisa Marie

Are all those old-fashioned rules just bollocks nowadays?

What do you mean? You certainly don't have to kneel down and kiss a bishop's ring when you meet him, if that's the kind of stuff you're talking about. 

As you walk by a priest you should always say, "May the force be with you," and they will reply, "and with your spirit may the force be."

As you walk by a priest you should always say, "May the force be with you," and they will reply, "and with your spirit may the force be."

Good afternoon, Father Yoda

Call him Father...if you're uncomfortable doing that Catholic priests are still technically reverands, so you can call him that.