An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question About Consecrated Virginity

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

I read somewhere that many CVs start out with private vows, until they officially become CVs, is that true?

At one point I wanted to speak to someone about discernment, and I got the chance to speak with the vocations director in my diocese... he's a great priest and he gave really good advice. Even without asking him to be your spiritual director, would it be possible to talk it all over with the vocations director in your diocese? (just about how to discern etc). I think the fact that these thoughts are not going away for you, is probably significant. The vocations director suggested that I ask my priest to teach me about how to pray, that was just personal advice to me, but I'm sure prayer is very important!

Just some random thoughts! :)

I'm sorry I didn't see this post sooner.  It got glanced over when I posted at the same time.

Yes, from my literature-reading, most CVs promise virginity for a number of years before making Consecration.  I think it's a way to test the stability of the candidate before admitting them into something lifelong.

I might try to contact the VD for my diocese after the new seminarians start.  He is very busy right now.  :)

Sponsa-Christi

I read somewhere that many CVs start out with private vows, until they officially become CVs, is that true?

Strictly speaking, making a private vow isn't a requirement. But obviously, it does make a lot of sense from the point of view of discernment. 

For a woman seriously discerning consecrated virginity, the choice to make a private vow is for the more like something she would talk over with her spiritual director, rather than something that her bishop or the Vicar for Religious would demand. 

The important thing for a bishop to be concerned about is that candidates give signs of being capable of making a permanent commitment to a life of perpetual virginity, prayer, and service. Or as the Rite puts it: “...that by their age, prudence, and universally attested good character they give assurance of perseverance in a life of chastity dedicated to the service of the Church and of their neighbor.”

OnlySunshine

I had such a beautiful time at Mass this evening.  Never have I felt so strongly about my relationship with the Blessed Virgin Mary than I did tonight.  I consecrated myself to her for the first time on December 8, 2009 and I renew it every year.  As we were singing Carey Landry's song "Hail Mary, Gentle Woman," I about cried because something stirred inside me that I really do need to pursue Consecrated Virginity.  My pastor was talking about the Annunciation and the Visitation after the Gospel and it made me realize that being a Consecrated Virgin would echo Mary's fiat in a profound way.  Obviously, I am no where near the type of person Mary is but I couldn't help but feel she was showing me this is what I need to do.  It gave me a profound sense of peace, as well, and I am very happy to no longer be discerning religious life if it is not what God is calling me to.  ;)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

I would start with temporary private vows first, as well. Feel free to PM me as well as I am a Spiritual Director and might be able to give you resources.

I'm so excited for you MM!  What a beautiful grace you received on such a wonderful feast day! The Virgin Mary will keep you on the path.

I read your post in the other thread. Your perserverance is inspiring!  I will totally tuck you in my St. Rose of Lima novena for her upcoming feast day.

I tried to enter religious life and it never worked out for me and it has been super frustrating. Recently, I remember driving to work on the expressway day and while listening to a song I felt something stirring in my soul, then a thought popped in my mind to follow in the footsteps of St. Catherine of Siena and when I said "yes!" I suddenly felt this immense weight lift off my shoulders. 

Quickly, the picture you posted of St. Catherine of Siena reminded me of a funny story: I had a male relative of mine who attended a so-called Catholic University. My relative was telling a classmate, a fallen away Christian non-Catholic football player about St. Catherine's invisible ring. The football player's eyes almost fell out of face: :eek:  From that point on, he wanted to learn more about God.

OnlySunshine

I would start with temporary private vows first, as well. Feel free to PM me as well as I am a Spiritual Director and might be able to give you resources.

Right now, I am living as if I have made a perpetual vow of virginity as in the footsteps of St. Catherine of Siena and St. Rose of Lima (some amazing saints!).  I'm still learning about the vocation so I am not ready to approach the Bishop yet and don't intend to until I am closer to finishing school and have a more stable life where I can show I am financially responsible.  :)