An Old School Catholic Message Board

Homily: Marriage Is Good, But Celibacy Is Better

FFI Griswold

KnightofChrist

The Church has firmly stated beyond question and in numerous places that the celibate state is theologically superior to the non celibate state. 
Where some can come seem to come unstuck and get the wrong understanding is in not grasping that the statements are "objective theological statements" only.

What do you mean by "objective theological statements only"? Anything the Church teaches will be theological, any belief about God is also going to be theological. All sides to this debate is theological. So I don't quite grasp why the distinction is being made for the call of God to religious life.

I don't think anyone contests to date (though I am unsure), the objective theological understanding of The Church re celibacy as superior theologically.
In the scale of things, however, nothing can be theologically superior to the Will of God.

I again don't quite understand. The call of God to a certain vocation is the will of God. If one is called by God to religious life this call to religious life is always going to be a higher calling than other calls of God to vocations like marriage.

And in the area of vocation we are free to choose, providing we have the God given necessary qualities/qualifications for whatever vocation we might be choosing.  Some do enter a vocation seemingly without the necessary qualities - but they develop over time and the person perseveres in the vocation to their spiritual profit.  Grace of God.  Others enter a vocation seeming to have the necessary qualities - as the journey in the way of life unfolds, this proves not to be so and they leave.

It may be possible that we can have more than one call from God, but I don't know if saying that we choose our vocation conveys clearly enough what is a call from God. God chooses our vocation, we choose to take it up or not. If someone does get more than one call, say the call to Religious life and the call to marriage, the call to religious life will always be higher than any other call. This of course does not make the person being called superior in anyway, but the call is higher than all other calls. It is a call of God to a more intimate union with God. The married marry their beloveds and share their devotion to their beloved with God, Religious such as priest marry the Church, or for sisters they marry Christ and give complete devotion to God. The call to Religious life is a higher calling because it is a more intimate relationship with God.

I'm not sure we even disagree. I'm really just trying to understand your point of view better as I do not fully understand it.

God's Beloved

I know what you mean about the "Bad Gateway" thing... it kept showing up for me too and then I end up with double posts ;)

Sometimes simply by clicking the <---   Back button on the "browser" , the previous page comes back with whatever you have typed !

God's Beloved

I just thought about the New kind of vocations to consecrated life in which married couples together consecrate themselves to God and live the evangelical counsels [ including Chastity] according to their married vocation.

e.g. Couples for Christ !?

God's Beloved

There are also monasteries in some parts of the world where couples live an ascetic lifestyle  , usually in their old age.

Thank you for asking KoC because the question of superiority on the theological level has caused confusion.  And I think that this has come about because it was not being understood that the highest on a theological scale is The Will of God.  Our vocations were only ever invitations, but invitation in a function of God's Will.

What does come out very strong in this thread and largely due to what Bride of Christ contributed is the very great importance of the discerning process.  It is a very important, vital, part of our journey and adult years:  "What is God's Will for me?"  And it is a question we continually pose to ourselves (although the question in relation to vocation might be settled).  God's Will continues to unfold in the minutes and hours of our day.

BarbaraTherese, on 17 Aug 2013 - 10:16 PM, said:

The Church has firmly stated beyond question and in numerous places that the celibate state is theologically superior to the non celibate state. 
Where some can come seem to come unstuck and get the wrong understanding is in not grasping that the statements are "objective theological statements" only.

What do you mean by "objective theological statements only"? Anything the Church teaches will be theological, any belief about God is also going to be theological. All sides to this debate is theological. So I don't quite grasp why the distinction is being made for the call of God to religious life.

It stands to reason in my book that the celibate life FOR THE SAKE OF THE KINGDOM is superior to married life, simply because as St Paul tells us, the celibate person is intent on how to please God, the married couple are intent on how to please each other as a means of serving God.  And you say this in other words further on.

I don't think anyone contests to date (though I am unsure), the objective theological understanding of The Church re celibacy as superior theologically.
In the scale of things, however, nothing can be theologically superior to the Will of God.

I again don't quite understand. The call of God to a certain vocation is the will of God. If one is called by God to religious life this call to religious life is always going to be a higher calling than other calls of God to vocations like marriage.

Precisely what I have been saying.  Nothing is higher theologically than the Will of God; however it remains a truth which The Church proclaims as doctrine that on the theological scale celibacy for the sake of The Kingdom is higher than marriage - and this does make logical sense to me.  In other words on a theological scale it reads

1 - Will of God

2 - Celibacy for the sake of The Kingdom

3 - Marriage

Therefore, if God (His Will) calls me to marriage, then He is calling me to an inferior state of life, but in embracing God's Will for my life, I have embraced what is most superior.

And in the area of vocation we are free to choose, providing we have the God given necessary qualities/qualifications for whatever vocation we might be choosing.  Some do enter a vocation seemingly without the necessary qualities - but they develop over time and the person perseveres in the vocation to their spiritual profit.  Grace of God.  Others enter a vocation seeming to have the necessary qualities - as the journey in the way of life unfolds, this proves not to be so and they leave.

It may be possible that we can have more than one call from God, but I don't know if saying that we choose our vocation conveys clearly enough what is a call from God. God chooses our vocation, we choose to take it up or not. If someone does get more than one call, say the call to Religious life and the call to marriage, the call to religious life will always be higher than any other call. This of course does not make the person being called superior in anyway, but the call is higher than all other calls. It is a call of God to a more intimate union with God. The married marry their beloveds and share their devotion to their beloved with God, Religious such as priest marry the Church, or for sisters they marry Christ and give complete devotion to God. The call to Religious life is a higher calling because it is a more intimate relationship with God.

I'm not sure we even disagree. I'm really just trying to understand your point of view better as I do not fully understand it.

We do agree.  Nothing complex to understand I don’t think but this can be the case with the one responding. Hence, if I am not clear, keep asking and I will keep trying to clarify what I am trying to state. :)

Sometimes simply by clicking the <---   Back button on the "browser" , the previous page comes back with whatever you have typed !

Thanks GB.:)  For some reason, what you suggest sometimes only wont work for me.  I have to remember to copy my post prior to attempting to post so that I wont loose it altogether.

I just thought about the New kind of vocations to consecrated life in which married couples together consecrate themselves to God and live the evangelical counsels [ including Chastity] according to their married vocation.

I don't know anything about "Couples for Christ". Do you mean that married couples live out marital chastity also poverty and obedience in accordance with a rule of life?  Does the organisation have a Rule of LIfe, or does each couple write their own?

We are all called to the evangelical counsels whether married or not.  How the counsels are determined (statutes I guess) is according to our own vocation and states in life, circumstances.

There are also monasteries in some parts of the world where couples live an ascetic lifestyle  , usually in their old age.

Never heard of this.  But then I am in Australia and really opportunities here in South Australia where religious and consecrated life generally are concerned are very limited indeed.  There are some organisations in other states, but I feel if one joins a community then one needs to have regular contact.  For some travelling between states may not be an expensive item - for me it really is.  I am regarded as below poverty level.

LouisvilleFan

Nothing new under the sun. It wasn't so uncommon in the 11th and 12th centuries.

Re: Marriage and Celibacy, I fear that using the overly simplistic terms "good" and "better" leads people who earnestly want to give their all to Christ to pressure themselves toward a vocation that requires celibacy. We should add: "Following God's calling is best." In other words, pray and listen, and be thankful for your vocation, whatever it is.