An Old School Catholic Message Board

St Francis, Good Saint... Who Was He Again?

abrideofChrist

St Francis was  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

He can't have been a Franiscan because that would mean that he followed St. Francis! 

He wasn't a priest. 

So either a religious or a stigmatic. 

So I say, definitely WAS a stigmatic. Right? 

MarysLittleFlower

Friar = religious??? I'm sad I don't know this and I read a book about him :(

He definitely had the stigmata though :)

I'm not sure what the point of this is - he was five of those, at least, but the poll will only allow us to choose one.

When I saw the thread title, I thought : "Which St Francis?" (St Francis of Assisi or St Francis de Sales)  Now I know.

Pax_et bonum

St. Francis was ordained a deacon which makes him a cleric. I think it'd be fair to say St. Francis is a Franciscan; I believe that what he originally founded and was a member of was called the Order of Friars Minor, and now the OFM are just one part of the Franciscan Order. The founder of say the Daughters of St. Paul is still a Daughter of St. Paul, no? As a member of the Franciscan Order, he's obviously a religious. Unless I'm mistaken, St. Francis is the first recorded stigmatic in Church history, and he received the five wounds: hands, feet, and side. "The Flowers of St. Francis" has some awesome stories of St. Francis's mystical experiences. And I guess St. Francis is a bride of Christ by merit of his mysticism in addition to being an individual soul. I, too, am kinda confused about this thread's point? Not that I mind a thread about Seraphic Father St. Francis :)

He was a few of these, at least. I've not voted as it reminds me of when teachers give trick sheets, then give some insight to everyone at the end of the class about the answers!  :juggle:

Lol, perhaps it COULD have been more clearly worded with the word: primarily.

How do you see him primarily?

This was fun. We should have more fun polls here.

I still don't think you can say he was a franciscan. I can't say I follow myself. That would be crazy. He did not follow himself. He led. So he couldn't be a Franciscan, right?

As for Bride of Christ, I don't think men can be that, can they?

Pax_et bonum

Lol, perhaps it COULD have been more clearly worded with the word: primarily.

How do you see him primarily?

This was fun. We should have more fun polls here.

I still don't think you can say he was a franciscan. I can't say I follow myself. That would be crazy. He did not follow himself. He led. So he couldn't be a Franciscan, right?

As for Bride of Christ, I don't think men can be that, can they?

Well, then I see him primarily as a spiritual father. :) Francis followed Christ, and Franciscans follow Christ in the spirit of Francis. Using that definition of a Franciscan, it fits Francis because he definitely followed Christ in his own spirit. A founder can still be a member of whatever kind of group he founds even if it is named after him when he dies. He didn't follow himself exactly, but he followed the Rule he wrote.

Men are brides of Christ because they are part of the Church. Fr. Dubay says this in the preface to "And You Are Christ's"

...the whole Church, women and men alike, is a virgin wedded to Christ, just as in the Old Testament the people of God was a virgin bride wedded to Yahweh... Yet men with the celibate charism need to be reminded that they, along with all men and women, are members of the virgin Church wedded to one husband. Before God each person is receptive, feminine... Virile Paul not only speaks of the whole Corinthian church as a virgin wedded to one husband, Christ Jesus, but also speaks of himself as being in labor as he begets them by proclaiming the good news.

That doesn't mean that's how men relate to Jesus. Fr. Dubay says that men see themselves as intimate friends and brothers.

Well I follow Christ and YOU follow Christ. I guess that means we're Franciscans. Funny, I thought it made us Christians. Is Christ a Christian by that logic? I thought He was/is a jew! :bananahi:

Seriously, I'm not debating, just enjoying this line of thought. I've never thought of it like you have laid out and it's intriguing. Thank you for pursuing it with me.

Pax_et bonum

Yes, everyone is a Franciscan whether they like it or not! :evil: This is obviously why our pope is named Francis. Franciscans are taking over the world!  :winner:

Franciscans follow Christ in the spirit of Francis. Hmm, well Jesus lived as a Jew, not a Christian (whereas Francis lived as a Franciscan) since the Church was came into being after His death. The first Christians were Jews because Christianity isn't a contradiction of Judaism but a fulfillment. A founder can be a member of the group he founded but not necessarily--like a priest who founds a community of sisters but isn't a sister. So I don't think that that logic can be applied to Jesus/Christians and come to the conclusion that Jesus was Christian. ;)

Yes, everyone is a Franciscan whether they like it or not! :evil: This is obviously why our pope is named Francis. Franciscans are taking over the world!  :winner:

Franciscans follow Christ in the spirit of Francis. Hmm, well Jesus lived as a Jew, not a Christian (whereas Francis lived as a Franciscan) since the Church was came into being after His death. The first Christians were Jews because Christianity isn't a contradiction of Judaism but a fulfillment. A founder can be a member of the group he founded but not necessarily--like a priest who founds a community of sisters but isn't a sister. So I don't think that that logic can be applied to Jesus/Christians and come to the conclusion that Jesus was Christian. ;)

Your logic is unflappable!

I bow to it!

LOL!