An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Can I Respond To My Parents On Being A Nun?

KarenJoanna

I always laugh about people saying "nun" isn't in the Bible because of the reference to Joshua son of Nun.  Obviously that bit of scripture isn't talking about religious life but nevertheless, the word actually exists in the Bible.  I'm guessing that your mom doesn't know much about nuns other than hearsay and/or stuff she has seen on TV.  I certainly knew nothing about them until I actually visited a few orders.

The thing about nuns is that they vary greatly in what they do.  Would your mom say that Mother Teresa was "of no use"? She's probably thinking of nuns such as St. Therese, spending her day confined to a convent, praying for hours.  But then this implies that your mother doesn't believe in or doesn't understand the power of prayer.  Any nun would hopefully tell you that the essence of her vocation is being consecrated to the Lord first, and that everything else stems from that.  

Basically there are contemplative, contemplative/active, and missionary orders and each has it's place in the battle to win souls.  It would probably make a difference for your mom to see Sisters living the life to really understand what it's about.  Start by praying for her to open her heart and mind and then begin to educate her about religious life.  I don't know if this is good advice but it's the best I've got!  I'll say a prayer for you and your mom :)

Tell her that Anna was the first monastic! She lived in the Temple praying and fasting and awaiting the coming of the savior. Then show her a picture of Mother Teresa and ask her to tell you what "bad things" they do.

We can't deny there are some scandals concerning 'nuns', however, these are very much in the minority.  Can you show her some of the lovely youtube vids, or 'Beloved' the DVD about Sisters?

Does your mum not believe in the power of prayer?

Does she believe in one person dedicating themselves to the one they love and being faithfull all life long? 

Nuns are doing both of the above.

I think your mum is generalising about some of the negative things she thinks/has heard/read because she is concerned for you, and for her and for what your possibly becoming a nun might mean for both of you.......

Prayers, don't get into arguing, just say your piece calmly and often, and pray that He reveals His will for you whatever it may be.

Thanks, although i think it will take a while for her to understand. She is so difficult to talk to and all my family is like this.

Sr. Mary Jeremiah OP

"Tell her that Anna was the first monastic! She lived in the Temple praying and fasting and awaiting the coming of the savior."  by ??Alien??

That's a good response. Also, the daughter of the deacon Philip in the Acts was a prophetess, which would have been an ascetic. There's a tradition that Mary Magdalene sailed to France and spent the rest of her life as a hermit in a cave.

Even the apostles were seen as forerunners of religious life because in the Acts they were devoted to prayer and the ministry of the Word.

Everything in the Church is not "specifically quoted" in the Bible. There is a lot of oral tradition. In fact, that's how the Scriptures began in the first place. The bottom line is that any disciple who dedicated his or her life totally to following Jesus is an ancestor of what we know as religious life. The church has developed a bit in the past 2,000 years.

My prayers are with you in this time of misunderstandings.

Sr. Mary Jeremiah OP

abrideofChrist

Welcome, Sr. Mary Jeremiah!   Noticed that this is your first post and wanted to welcome you to the phamily!  :)

I definitely will tell her about Anna. I totally forgot about her. And it's harder on me because my sister and dad are protestants so it's 3 against 1. But i have Jesus,Mary and the saints by my side. My mother thinks religious life is sad but i consider it very joyful and rewarding. They also think that i am doing it because i am depressed because i have no job still,it's hard to find one and other stuff but really, i am not doing it for that. I know i need experience in life first and to take care of my debt. They even think i am going crazy and being too religious.

Spem in alium

You've had good advice. I will pray for you and your family.

Listen to your heart; there you will find God!

KarenJoanna, I've read a few of your questions in the Q&A forum and from those it seems that you can get very anxious and scrupulous in the practice of your faith. I think you've mentioned that you have OCD, is that right? In that case, your parents' fear that you're being too religious may be connected more to your mental health than to your Catholic faith, as sometimes people with these difficulties turn to religion as an outlet. I think the best reassurance that your parents could have about life as a nun would be to see you relaxed and well-balanced in your approach to life (which convents and monasteries will need to see before you enter). Be sure that your psychological needs are being met. Peace, and I will pray for you.