ContemporaryCaflicCrusader Posted August 26, 2013 Posted August 26, 2013 CCC ... you can *always* resign (I'm an expert -- I resigned a youth ministry committee, parish council, and the spanish community council in one fell swoop years ago ... and when I thought it was time to go I simply submitted a letter at parish council). It's a question (in my opinion) of praying and discerning what God wants. Now, if you think that you need to be there, it is a different story. It is sometimes hard to go -- so I hear ya. And I read the link -- it really, really, really reminded me of a typical parish council meeting. Except instead of 2 hours 5 minutes later it's more like 2 hours 45 minutes later. Although to be fair -- there are times that things do get done. The "transcript" made me laugh though. ya I hear ya. I could re sign. I would look awful and it isn't like me. On top of it it is my calling. I tried to resign and do 7th/8th grade CCD with the intentions of picking up the pieces next year. 2 hours and 45 minutes at parish counsil could be somewhat reasonable. Couldn't tell ya. Never been to that type of a meeting and your parish is likely bigger. However, well over an hour of our meeting was when "Topper" was verbally stroking her own ego. I am told if things do not improve at meetings that I will be allowed to be AWOL by Father himself. i don't expect it to improve, unless he lands that committee member which I don't expect, but one never knows.
Apotheoun Posted August 26, 2013 Posted August 26, 2013 (edited) The priest (a native Spanish speaker) also mentioned that the weekly English Mass is his favorite precisely because it's so small, "we are like family." I think parishes should be small enough so that the priest knows his parishoners. I think somewhere between 50 to 100 families would be good. Edited August 26, 2013 by Apotheoun
CatholicCid Posted August 26, 2013 Posted August 26, 2013 I think parishes should be small enough so that the priest knows his parishoners. I think somewhere between 50 to 100 families would be good. You must have a good memory. For some of us, that would be 5-10 families :spike:
Era Might Posted August 26, 2013 Author Posted August 26, 2013 I think parishes should be small enough so that the priest knows his parishoners. I think somewhere between 50 to 100 families would be good. Not sure how that could work in modern sociology, but I think the ecclesial movements are essentially a step in that direction. For me the important thing is not so much size but maturity and responsibility within the context of community. I don't think Christian community should revolve around the priest...but he serves a central role, because it is around the altar where the community becomes one.
BigJon16 Posted August 27, 2013 Posted August 27, 2013 (edited) I come from a fairly large parish, one where my pastor--who is the only priest in residence--knows virtually everyone. Having worked as a sacristan I know that it is vary easy to even remember where people sit. It's not a matter of "oh, smaller parishes make for closer knit groups" it's purely a matter of how much effort is being put in to building a community. I love my parish. It's like a second family to me. These past few days I have been overwhelmed by the love and support of the people of my parish. It is from the people that a man is called forward to be a priest, and as I begin this journey I know that I have been called from some of the best, and without their support I wouldn't be beginning it at all. It's all so humbling. Taking a couple more classes will not some how magically impart on a man good personality traits...that's why every seminary in the US concentrates a whole pillar of formation on "personal formation". The four pillars..Human, Academic, Pastoral, and Spiritual. 'Not one pillar and three stumps', as one of my brother seminarians likes to say... Ill admit, when you said "parish system" I didn't know what you were talking about. Any parish or diocese worth it's salt is not a "system" but a living, breathing member of the Church's body. Edited August 27, 2013 by BigJon16
Apotheoun Posted August 27, 2013 Posted August 27, 2013 (edited) Not sure how that could work in modern sociology, but I think the ecclesial movements are essentially a step in that direction. For me the important thing is not so much size but maturity and responsibility within the context of community. I don't think Christian community should revolve around the priest...but he serves a central role, because it is around the altar where the community becomes one. In Eastern Christianity the priest (and his wife) does have a central role in the community. To have a community without a priest would be like having a fatherless family. Edited August 27, 2013 by Apotheoun
Socrates Posted August 27, 2013 Posted August 27, 2013 (edited) My main suggestion for making parishes better would be to make them a lot smaller. in fact, they should be small enough that a priest can actually know his parishoners, and in the process really become their spiritual father. (To state the obvious) Making parishes smaller will require having more priests. In addition - at least based upon my experience over the past 25 years - priests need to be given a better grounding in theology, scripture, liturgy, and in regulating (or even having) a personal prayer life. Agreed. The problems facing much of the Church today are spiritual at their root, rather than simply organizational or financial. Edited August 27, 2013 by Socrates
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now