An Old School Catholic Message Board

Assumption Trappist Abbey - Becoming Cistercian

Luigi

The Trappists at Assumption Abbey in southern Missouri have been in operation for over 60 years. But they've never had a postulant who persevered to final vows (well, they had ONE, but he left the monastery about six months after he made his vows). 

They've been told by the General Council that they can't re-open their novitiate for another three years. By then, as an aged and aging community, they'll be too old to form newcomers. So.... 

They're inviting Vietnamese Cistercians to come over (four at a time), to learn English (as the Trappists learn Vietnamese), get acculturated, send another four, and so on. At some point in the future, they'll turn the monastery and its assets over to the Vietnamese Cistercians. The Cistercians will allow the Trappists to remain in the monastery until they die (after the transfer, they'll be guests of the Cistercians).

It's sad to see a community that has struggled for so long finally go under, but at least the monastery will remain a monastery.

http://www.assumptionabbey.org/newsletters.asp

The Trappists at Assumption Abbey in southern Missouri have been in operation for over 60 years. But they've never had a postulant who persevered to final vows (well, they had ONE, but he left the monastery about six months after he made his vows). 

They've been told by the General Council that they can't re-open their novitiate for another three years. By then, as an aged and aging community, they'll be too old to form newcomers. So.... 

They're inviting Vietnamese Cistercians to come over (four at a time), to learn English (as the Trappists learn Vietnamese), get acculturated, send another four, and so on. At some point in the future, they'll turn the monastery and its assets over to the Vietnamese Cistercians. The Cistercians will allow the Trappists to remain in the monastery until they die (after the transfer, they'll be guests of the Cistercians).

It's sad to see a community that has struggled for so long finally go under, but at least the monastery will remain a monastery.

http://www.assumptionabbey.org/newsletters.asp

Are the Vietnamese monks O.Cist then?  I don't know how the Assumption Abbey monks tend to describe themselves but I often go on retreat at an abbey of OCSO (Trappistine) nuns and they seem to describe themselves as "Cistercian" rather than "Trappist" in everything except they sell Trappistine Quality Candies.  The displays and such that talk about their history talk quite a bit about Benedict and the Cistercian reforms (Bernard of Clairvaux et al) and the founding of that particular house, but the La Trappe reforms are a footnote.  OCSO houses are always fully contemplative.  O.Cist are sometimes fully contemplative or will sometimes have an active apostolate and be more semi-contemplative.

I'm no expert, I just hang out once a year or so and read things, but my impression is OCSO to O.Cist. could be a really smooth transition, especially if it stays contemplative.  And hopefully an influx of (presumably) younger monks could help attract some vocations in time.

Are the Vietnamese monks O.Cist then?  I don't know how the Assumption Abbey monks tend to describe themselves but I often go on retreat at an abbey of OCSO (Trappistine) nuns and they seem to describe themselves as "Cistercian" rather than "Trappist" in everything except they sell Trappistine Quality Candies.  The displays and such that talk about their history talk quite a bit about Benedict and the Cistercian reforms (Bernard of Clairvaux et al) and the founding of that particular house, but the La Trappe reforms are a footnote.  OCSO houses are always fully contemplative.  O.Cist are sometimes fully contemplative or will sometimes have an active apostolate and be more semi-contemplative.

I'm no expert, I just hang out once a year or so and read things, but my impression is OCSO to O.Cist. could be a really smooth transition, especially if it stays contemplative.  And hopefully an influx of (presumably) younger monks could help attract some vocations in time.

Right - the Assumption Trappists (OCSOs) are inviting Cistercians (O.Cists) to take over the place. I don't know how significantly different the lives of Trappists and Cistercians are. And I know that some Trappists do use the "Cistercian" designation more than they use "Trappist." 

Apparently, the O.Cists n Vietnam are growing quite rapidly. 

Anyway, I'm glad the old Trappists at Assumption found a way to keep the monastery "in the family." 

Right - the Assumption Trappists (OCSOs) are inviting Cistercians (O.Cists) to take over the place. I don't know how significantly different the lives of Trappists and Cistercians are. And I know that some Trappists do use the "Cistercian" designation more than they use "Trappist." 

Apparently, the O.Cists n Vietnam are growing quite rapidly. 

Anyway, I'm glad the old Trappists at Assumption found a way to keep the monastery "in the family." 

Well, O.Cist. monks run the University of Dallas.  If the new O.Cists at Assumption do something like that, that'd be different.  But (from what I've read) if it's a fully contemplative O.Cist. community there wouldn't necessarily be much difference at all.  A lot of these reforms had a lot to do with how the communities used land, which was hugely important in the Middle Ages but isn't really relevant anymore.

Sponsa-Christi

The Trappists were originally a reform movement started from within the Cistercians. I think the initials "OCSO" stand for something like: "Order of the Cistercians of the Strict Observance." But today, I would guess that there is probably a deep affinity and a lot of similarities between the two Orders' respective spiritualities and charisms. 

It is very sad when a community has to stop accepting new members, but from what's been posted here, it looks like this situation is actually a sort of best-case scenario for a community that can't realistically sustain itself any further.    

I completely agree, Sponsa Christi. It is heartening to see such a positive and affirming resolution to a potentially sad situation. Both sets of monks will be mutually blessed, I feel. And I wonder if this model may be embraced by other "dying" communities. Just a thought. 

PhuturePriest

It's sad that this is happening, but it's very good to see a positive outcome. Trappists in particular seem to be having this problem, and I hope it stops soon. The Trappist life is a very beautiful one, and I hope more people realize it before they're as sparsely populated as Carthusians are.

It's sad that this is happening, but it's very good to see a positive outcome. Trappists in particular seem to be having this problem, and I hope it stops soon. The Trappist life is a very beautiful one, and I hope more people realize it before they're as sparsely populated as Carthusians are.

Carthusians are making a comeback, dude.

In my dreams... [sigh]

Sr. Mary Jeremiah OP

Thank you for sharing this very interesting information. This is truly a creative and, hopefully, life-giving way to care for these monks and retain the property for monastic use. I do think it might be an idea for other "ailing" communities.

The Americans may have a lot of difficulty learning Vietnamese, though. It's a "tonal" language, and I found it difficult to distinguish the tones. Good luck to the monks.

Generally, Cistercians are not as withdraw/cloistered/strictly contemplative as the Trappists. As someone mentioned there are O.Cist. at the University of Dallas. However, they do not "run" the university. Some of them teach there. The O.Cist. also have their own boys prep school, which they do run.

Trappists are a reform of the Cistercians by a man named de Rance. La Trappe was the name of the place (I think) and it caught on as the name of their reform. After Vatican II, they pulled away from the more severe practices of de Rance, and at least in the USA, prefer to be called "Cistercian," although they keep the initial OCSO, Order of Cistercian of the Strict Observance", someone mentioned this earlier. Some of those practices were absolute silence. They rarely spoke, and used sign language instead. They also had severe fasts and other practices.

May the Lord bless these monks of Ave, MO.

Sr. Mary Jeremiah OP

In my dreams... [sigh]

Carthusians are the strictest order in the Church, aren't they? They're like God's Marines!

In my dreams... [sigh]

Carthusians are the strictest order in the Church, aren't they? They're like God's Marines!

Well, "strict" may be interpreted in different ways, but they're definitely the most austere, in terms of giving up the most worldly comforts.