Selah Posted September 7, 2013 Posted September 7, 2013 pro-tip: don't take Hasan or Winchester seriously. ;) This :lol:
arfink Posted September 7, 2013 Posted September 7, 2013 Sounds like an adequate basis for a new philosophical school. Jocularism... Let's do it. I think we should focus most of our inquiry on aesthetics, because aesthetics.
John Ryan Posted September 7, 2013 Author Posted September 7, 2013 Of late I enjoy Josef Pieper. I also should warn you that I despised Kant, and Wittgenstein made me doubt the sanity of all philosophers. Although I found his ideas about philosophy of language rather refreshing, I found that when you applied his ideas directly to epistemology or metaphysics you wind up with a big hairy mess. Oh, and Thomas Aquinas. I like that guy. :) I read Josef Pieper's The Christian Idea of Man, which I rather enjoyed. He is a good Thomist philosopher/theologian and considering I love the virtue ethics of Aristotle, I assent with Pieper's focus on the four virtues and his stress on the value of leisure. St. Aquinas is quite interesting, but his writing style is terribly dry, so I find it difficult to read him. Kant is probably the least interesting of the German Idealists. He is kind of a skeptic, and I think that Hegel does a decent job of sublating his subjective idealism. Wittgenstein is way too linked to the logical positivist movement for my taste. I do not really buy into this Rortian and Wittgensteinian death of epistemology and ontology, though I do maintain a healthy measure of postmodern doubt. I remain unconvinced that Hegel's career was not one giant practical joke which nobody ever caught. Hegelian philosophy makes a lot of sense to be (it's basically the same as Plato's), so I cannot take that assertion as anything but a practical joke.
John Ryan Posted September 7, 2013 Author Posted September 7, 2013 Of late I enjoy Josef Pieper. I also should warn you that I despised Kant, and Wittgenstein made me doubt the sanity of all philosophers. Although I found his ideas about philosophy of language rather refreshing, I found that when you applied his ideas directly to epistemology or metaphysics you wind up with a big hairy mess. Oh, and Thomas Aquinas. I like that guy. :) I read Josef Pieper's The Christian Idea of Man, which I rather enjoyed. He is a good Thomist philosopher/theologian and considering I love the virtue ethics of Aristotle, I assent with Pieper's focus on the four virtues and his stress on the value of leisure. St. Aquinas is quite interesting, but his writing style is terribly dry, so I find it difficult to read him. Kant is probably the least interesting of the German Idealists. He is kind of a skeptic, and I think that Hegel does a decent job of sublating his subjective idealism. Wittgenstein is way too linked to the logical positivist movement for my taste. I do not really buy into this Rortian and Wittgensteinian death of epistemology and ontology, though I do maintain a healthy measure of postmodern doubt. I remain unconvinced that Hegel's career was not one giant practical joke which nobody ever caught. Hegelian philosophy makes a lot of sense to be (it's basically the same as Plato's), so I cannot take that assertion as anything but a practical joke.
arfink Posted September 7, 2013 Posted September 7, 2013 St. Thomas Aquinas, dry? Well, if you consider that the Summa basically amounts to in-class notes taken by scribes as he taught, it makes some sense. The richness of his thought is pretty amazing once you cut through the thick historical rind.
Basilisa Marie Posted September 7, 2013 Posted September 7, 2013 (edited) :welcome: We've got all kinds around here, Catholics all over the spectrum, atheists, Eastern Catholics... The best thing for you to do is just jump right in and share your opinion on stuff. Debate Table's for serious (or ridiculous) arguing, Transmundane is for serious spiritual discussion, Open Mic is the catch all, and the Lame board is for nonsense. Phatmass can sometimes have a sense of humor that requires a learning curve, so like other have said, don't take anything Winchester and Hasan say seriously, and the curse word fiddler also changes other words, to keep things interesting. Oh and right now I love Bonhoeffer. Bonhoeffer counts as a philosopher, right? Meh. He's a bro. Edited September 7, 2013 by Basilisa Marie
4588686 Posted September 8, 2013 Posted September 8, 2013 Go away. You forgot to add 'fatty.' And what's with all these snitches. We're going to have to start shanking rats.
4588686 Posted September 8, 2013 Posted September 8, 2013 Hegelian philosophy makes a lot of sense to be (it's basically the same as Plato's), so I cannot take that assertion as anything but a practical joke. Neither Hegel nor Plato make much sense. Neopragmatism ftw.
Selah Posted September 8, 2013 Posted September 8, 2013 You forgot to add 'fatty.' And what's with all these snitches. We're going to have to start shanking rats. So you hate rats now? I thought you stood up for the underdog. I mean. Underrat. After your bravery saving that ladybug years ago, I thought you had an affinity for the aminal types. Guess not amynore. :cry:
4588686 Posted September 8, 2013 Posted September 8, 2013 After your bravery saving that ladybug years ago I forget the contents of this.
John Ryan Posted September 8, 2013 Author Posted September 8, 2013 St. Thomas Aquinas, dry? Well, if you consider that the Summa basically amounts to in-class notes taken by scribes as he taught, it makes some sense. The richness of his thought is pretty amazing once you cut through the thick historical rind. I am sure if I was taught Thomist philosophy from an expert in the field I would find it much more fascinating. The only reason I was able to penetrate Hegel is because I happened to come under the tutelage of a very original and brilliant Hegelian/Marxian scholar. :welcome: We've got all kinds around here, Catholics all over the spectrum, atheists, Eastern Catholics... The best thing for you to do is just jump right in and share your opinion on stuff. Debate Table's for serious (or ridiculous) arguing, Transmundane is for serious spiritual discussion, Open Mic is the catch all, and the Lame board is for nonsense. Phatmass can sometimes have a sense of humor that requires a learning curve, so like other have said, don't take anything Winchester and Hasan say seriously, and the curse word fiddler also changes other words, to keep things interesting. Oh and right now I love Bonhoeffer. Bonhoeffer counts as a philosopher, right? Meh. He's a bro. I think I will be a little reserved in the beginning. Eventually, I will learn to loosen up. Go away. But I love Jean-Paul Sartre as well. Neither Hegel nor Plato make much sense. Neopragmatism ftw. Neopragmatism is not really a philosophy. It is an anti-philosophy and Richard Rorty is an anti-philosopher, in the same sense that Nietzsche does not put forth an ethical treatise, but positions himself as an anti-moralist. However, Richard Rorty cheats, because he does take philosophical positions on many issues — for example, eliminative materialism.
Nihil Obstat Posted September 8, 2013 Posted September 8, 2013 This guy is legit; he uses lots of big words.
4588686 Posted September 8, 2013 Posted September 8, 2013 I am sure if I was taught Thomist philosophy from an expert in the field I would find it much more fascinating. The only reason I was able to penetrate Hegel is because I happened to come under the tutelage of a very original and brilliant Hegelian/Marxian scholar. Who?
4588686 Posted September 8, 2013 Posted September 8, 2013 I Neopragmatism is not really a philosophy. It is an anti-philosophy and Richard Rorty is an anti-philosopher, in the same sense that Nietzsche does not put forth an ethical treatise, but positions himself as an anti-moralist. However, Richard Rorty cheats, because he does take philosophical positions on many issues — for example, eliminative materialism. How is that cheating given his quietism?
Selah Posted September 8, 2013 Posted September 8, 2013 I forget the contents of this. You would. <_<
Not The Philosopher Posted September 8, 2013 Posted September 8, 2013 When it comes to Old German Dudes, I'm most fond of Schopenhauer. He was wrong about a lot of things, but wound up becoming one of the stepping stones that pushed me in the direction of Christianity. When it comes to philosophy more generally, I'll take analytic and Ancient/Medieval philosophy. (Actually, wait. Frege was an Old German Dude. I'd totally take him over Schopenhauer in that case. Guy's got a more impressive beard too)
4588686 Posted September 8, 2013 Posted September 8, 2013 (Actually, wait. Frege was an Old German Dude. I'd totally take him over Schopenhauer in that case. Guy's got a more impressive beard too) Yes
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now