An Old School Catholic Message Board

Breaking Down The Charism Of The Poor Clares, Carmelites, And Dominica

Rosita

Would the following be an accurate, but simple breakdown of how a contemplative nun is called to follow her Spouse:

A Poor Clare by the main road of poverty = the poor Christ

A Carmelite by the main road of prayer = the praying Christ

A Dominican by the main road of preaching = the teaching Christ

Julie de Sales

Each order emphasizes a certain aspect of the life of Christ. A dominican also prays and is poor, but she is called teach the faith in a special way that a Poor Clare or a Carmelite is not.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Teaching is an aspect of Dominican Order as a way of expressing the charism but it is not the charism. The charism of the Order of Preachers is "the proclamation of the Word of God, preaching the name of our Lord Jesus Christ throughout the world." Teaching is only one way that it is done but proclaiming the Word of God is much broader than teaching.

It's important to get the charism right because then one can understand why the cloistered nuns are incorporated into the Order and an integral part of the mission.

For the older Orders like Dominicans, Carmelites and Poor Clares it's not easy to give the charism in simple terms. Each is a many faceted jewel!

domenica_therese

For Carmel, more than the praying Christ, I'd say the Christ who removed himself from his disciples to the mountain to pray. Also, despite being an over-simplification, I do think it works, so long as one keeps in mind that that is merely the primary facet of Christ to which they are attracted.

I'd actually argue for 'intimacy with Christ' as the Carmelite Charism.. that and the prophetic charism... bringing the message of God's love to the world... and carrying the needs of His people back to His Heart....

brandelynmarie

I think it would be interesting to create lists of words to describe what one sees as primary impulses
in different Orders/charisms, keeping in mind of course, that any or all could be applied to each one. :blush:

graciandelamadrededios

Explanation of The Teresian Charism from “Welcome to Carmel” A HANDBOOK OF ASPIRANTS TO THE DISCALCED CARMELITE SECULAR ORDER:

"The Second Vatican Council told us that “the first rule” of every religious order must be the Gospel lived in its fullness.  But it also acknowledged that each religious family in the Church will be distinguished by its attempt to imitate a specific feature of the life of Christ.  No Order and no person can fully imitate all the features of the mystery of Christ.  Thus, Franciscans strive to imitate more closely the poor Christ; Dominicans especially love the preaching Christ.  Where do Carmelites come in?  What aspect of the life of Christ do we strive to live more fully?  Following the gift the Holy Spirit bestowed on Saint Teresa of Jesus, Carmelites feel drawn to staying close to and imitating the praying Christ of the Gospels.  This is one special mission and our special vocation in the Church."

The OCD Nuns and Friars are both Hermits and Cenobites.  The Primitive Rule St. Teresa has chosen is not actually the Hermit Rule of St. Albert but the Mitigated Rule of Innocent. 

The Rule of St. Albert is observed by the Hermits before their migration to Europe

The Rule of St. Albert mitigated by Pope Innocent was observed when the hermits resettled in Europe; transititioning from Hermit to Mendicant Friars. 

The Rule of St. Albert with additional mitigation granted by Pope Eugene as requested by the Carmelite Friars.

St. Teresa professed first vows in Incarnation Monastery following the Mitigated Rule of Pope Eugene and later opted for the “Primitive” Rule of St. Albert by Pope Innocent.  The Rule of St. Albert "without mitigation" is in reality the Primitive Rule but during the time of St. Teresa, the "Primitive Rule" was the Innocentian Rule since this Rule is adapted for Carmelites living in Europe but retaining the eremitical inspiration example, staying in the cell to pray if not occupied by household and choir duties and hermit days within the monastery.  This is what St. Teresa had chosen and not the Hermit Rule. 

Gratian, I would agree that those are good clarification of the RULE and the particular version of the Rule of St. Albert that the different branches of Carmel use.  There is a difference between what Teresa emphasized and what the Order of Carmelites emphasizes (Although a long of the changes she implemented are also now a huge part of the O.Carm. lifestyle as well!).

I think the charism is something a little different than what rule and/or constitutions are being followed.   The charism is the particular gift of the Holy Spirit to that group of people.... the essential spirit of their flavor of religious life, if you will.

Kind of like there is the Rule of St. Benedict... but the Benedictine charism is pray and work, is hospitality and the regularly spaced chanting of the Hours and lectio divina on scripture.  And the different Benedictine branches all share the same RULE, but live it out differently... Benedictines (in several different congregations), Trappists, Cistercians, and a lot of active communities of various types that have adopted one or another form of Benedictine spirituality.  That is where the different branches and/or different congregations and their own Directories or Constitutions or Statutes or whatever they call them come in.  And sometimes those externals can even differ from house to house.  But they should all share the same CHARISM if they are Benedictine.

For the Carmelites, it really is all about intimacy with Christ and the Silence and Prayerfulness and Humility and Detachment needed to create that intimacy with Christ (be it that of a hermit or that of a friar, nun, or an active sister or secular) is the essential 'charism' of the Discalced Carmelite tradition.   ALL Discalced Carmelites should share those characteristics... even if they live them out a little differently from group to group and tradition to tradition... 

All CARMELITES (and there are several versions of the Carmelite Tradition....) should share the same focus on prayer and prophetic relationship of the soul with God.  But the different groups emphasize different facets of the diamond, if you will...

I've been told by those coming from the O.Carm/ Order of Carmelites tradition tend to also emphasize more the prophetic spirit of Elijah -- prayer and going out among God's people prophetically in service and love -- more than do those from the Discalced tradition, who focus more on the intimacy end of things.  Same charism - union with God in intimate prayer -- more of a slight change in emphasis I think....

Thoughts from others?

AccountDeleted

AL - I think you pretty much capture the essence of Carmelite spirituality - intimacy with Christ. Even the Father General of the OCD described it (last year) as a loving, personal relationship with Jesus through prayer. The book I am reading at the moment calls Carmelites Pilgrims, Poets and Prophets. :)

Thanks for the replies! It has cleared up some of the confusion I had.

I love all three spiritualities and it has been difficult for me to discern what charism resonates with me the most.

Edited by Rosita

The charism question is really an important one, IMHO.  Others have made really good points about comparisons, at least among the contemplative monasteries of theser communities.

I would just add my 2cents:

Dominicans value contemplation and study, especially of scholastic theology. Their charism seems to me to share a good bit with scholastic theology- which is to say (in my view) that rational and dualistic approaches and a high medieval theological anthropology are highly valued in study and in how the life is viewed and lived.

Carmelites are about allegience to Christ and seeking deep intimacy with him.  The prophetic dimension of the rule of St Albert and the somewhat intuitive (my characterization) influence of St Teresa of Avila and St John of the Cross allow a great range of ways of structuring that life with prayer, especially 2 daily hours of mental prayer, and communal prayer.

Franciscan Poor Clares have a charism of amazingly joyful embrace of austerity, poverty and penance, and a love of the Eucharist embodied through adoration of the Blessed Sacrament (not necessarily perpetual).

The differences in charism are significant enough that when I see newer communities who claim St. Padre Pio and St Therese and St Faustina as their inspiration, I find myself wondering if they have a charism that I would be able to discern.  But that's just my question- others may not find it challenging at all.

But, I confess that I was captivated by the charism of the Carmelites long ago and feel a soul-deep resonance in their charism! 

Please feel free to take from my thoughts what is helpful and disregard any other aspects that are not.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

While study is valued by Dominican contemplative nuns it is not for its own sake but as a way toward union with God. One cannot love what one doesn't love. We know both by the mind and the heart.

But study in any form is not the charism of the Order of Preachers! The charism is about the proclamation of the Word of God!!! "the nuns seek ponder, and call upon him in solitude so that the word of God proceeding from the mouth of God may not return to Him empty but may accomplish those things for which it was sent."

It is this love for the Word that a Dominican Nun pours out her love for the salvation of souls. The other branches go out and preach but the Dominican Nun stays before the Lord interceding for His people like Moses. She unites herself totally with Christ and his desire for the salvation of all for whom he died and redeemed. The Incarnation is the central mystery for Dominicans.

Dominican Nuns have a great love for the Holy Eucharist and in the United States, especially, this is expressed by Adoration, either perpetual or daily.

And of course, the Rosary! Some monasteries (such as mine) have it perpetual with Adoration. It is called "the Adoring Rosary".

AccountDeleted

While study is valued by Dominican contemplative nuns it is not for its own sake but as a way toward union with God. One cannot love what one doesn't love. We know both by the mind and the heart.

But study in any form is not the charism of the Order of Preachers! The charism is about the proclamation of the Word of God!!! "the nuns seek ponder, and call upon him in solitude so that the word of God proceeding from the mouth of God may not return to Him empty but may accomplish those things for which it was sent."

It is this love for the Word that a Dominican Nun pours out her love for the salvation of souls. The other branches go out and preach but the Dominican Nun stays before the Lord interceding for His people like Moses. She unites herself totally with Christ and his desire for the salvation of all for whom he died and redeemed. The Incarnation is the central mystery for Dominicans.

Dominican Nuns have a great love for the Holy Eucharist and in the United States, especially, this is expressed by Adoration, either perpetual or daily.

And of course, the Rosary! Some monasteries (such as mine) have it perpetual with Adoration. It is called "the Adoring Rosary".

I think what you make obvious Sister, is that all charisms start and end with love of God. Carmelites may be noted for contemplation or Dominicans for study and preaching, or Benedictines with hospitality or Franciscans with poverty but none of these Orders embrace these things for their own sake - but (as you so beautifully put it) 'as a way toward union with God.'

Thank you for the reminder of what all charisms are based upon. :)

Sr. Mary Catherine helpfully reminds us of the shared overall focus of all contemplative communities. I was trying to address the distinctions between Poor Clares, Carmelites and Dominicans, as that is how I understood the question in this thread.  My impression about the importance of study in Dominican contemplative life comes from visiting the OP nuns' monasteries in NY, CT and MA. It is also reflected on the websites of those communities.

The website for the monastery in West Springfield says this in their Charism section, under a title saying   "What makes Dominican nuns different from other nuns?",

"Meanwhile, the revision of our Constitutions, mandated by Vatican II, led to a more prominent role for study in our horarium, as a major observance for all Dominicans.  Lecturers were invited to speak on various topics related to our life, and for many years a Dominican priest gave us two weeks of Thomistic theology every year, which proved to be a great help to our contemplative life."

Similarly, the OP nuns at Elmira Ny say this "We are a group of Dominican Monastic Women seeking God in community, in mutual trust, respect and love. We do this centered on the Word of God, in continuity with the ancient monastic tradition and with sensitivity and flexibility to contemporary needs. Fundamental  to our life is the daily celebration of the Liturgy, centering in the Eucharistic sacrifice of the mass and extending throughout the day in the singing and chorale recitation of the Divine Office, the Rosary, Study, Prayer, Work and Recreation"

And the OP nuns at Farmington MI describe themselves as "Nuns:  Monastic and Contemplative; living a hidden life of study and humble labor, pondering and living the Word of God in imitation of Mary."

When I have looked in to Poor Clare, Carmelite monasteries, I have not found "study"  listed so prominently  and that is why I thought that it might be helpful to think of it as one of the distinctives helping to discern among these three charisms of cloistered contemplative nuns.   Things like enclosure, Liturgy of the Hours, Rosary, and Marian devotion appear to me to be found in all three orders and so might not be a help for one discerning among the three charisms. 

Again, this is just what I came to in trying to sort these charisms out.