An Old School Catholic Message Board

Calibacy For Priests - Vatican Secretary Of State

AccountDeleted

It is important to note that Eastern Orthodox Churches in Western countries are also suffering from a priest shortage. The only places where large numbers of Orthodox priestly ordinations have occurred is in the former Soviet Union and the East Block countries.

In time, Rome will permit everything.

That does appear to be the way that Rome has approached the liturgical crisis of the past forty years (e.g., parishes contrary to Apostolic Tradition used female altar boys, and so Rome eventually permitted the practice, people started receiving communion on the hand contrary to Roman Catholic custom and Rome eventually gave an indult permitting the practice). It does seem as though Rome has a tendency to turn liturgical abuses into standardized practice. My Orthodox friends are mystified by this process of approved liturgical disintegration.

not quite sure what you're saying there Apteka, is Rome supposed to think all the abberations from the apostolic spirit of the liturgy are 'spirit inspired' just because they're happening?  

I thought Apteka was talking about the wholesale replacement of the ancient Roman liturgy with the modern artificial reconstruction created by the Consilium in the late 1960s.

The rule of prayer is the rule of belief, and so if you arbitrarily replace the ancient prayer of the Church with a modern fabrication you necessarily alter the faith of the Church. Is it any wonder that belief in the real presence has collapsed?

Edited by Apotheoun

That does appear to be the way that Rome has approached the liturgical crisis of the past forty years (e.g., parishes contrary to Apostolic Tradition used female altar boys, and so Rome eventually permitted the practice, people started receiving communion on the hand contrary to Roman Catholic custom and Rome eventually gave an indult permitting the practice). It does seem as though Rome has a tendency to turn liturgical abuses into standardized practice. My Orthodox friends are mystified by this process of approved liturgical disintegration.

Why are your Orthodox friends surprised? Rome lost the faith a long time ago.

Will it permit murder so I can get rid of the annoying people in my life?

he said everything so that must include murder, heresy, and everything else.  I mean why else make such a truthful statement.

j. . .  if the Pope or a council or a synod were to remove the filioque, for instance, you couldn't say that's just like when the concilium pushed through the liturgical reform, or when the versus populum position started.  all "change" does not equal innovation; and though we should of course reject antiquarianism that suggests we definitely should return to practices exactly as they were done at some time in the ancient church, there is nothing wrong with the Western Church learning from the first millenium Church, or from the Eastern Churches, and modeling some ways forward as means of restoring traditions even as they sometimes discard later traditions.  from Apo's position, it almost seems as if since we have been locked into mandatory celibacy for a millenium and therefore we're stuck with it forever else we risk destabilization.

Of course the filioque was an innovation only accepted into the creed at Rome in the early 11th century.

Are you saying that prayer facing the people is not an innovation? Perhaps I am misunderstanding that part of your post, because I assure you that it is an innovation for the priest to pray facing the people. The Eastward orientation in pray is - according to the Church Fathers - an Apostolic Tradition.

Al, you know how much I dislike the filioque, so what I am about to say is going to surprise you: I do not think that the Roman Church - at least for the foreseeable future - should remove the filioque from its recitation of the Niceno-Constantinopolitan Creed because I think it would do more harm to the already damaged liturgical life of the Latin Rite.

he said everything so that must include murder, heresy, and everything else.  I mean why else make such a truthful statement.

Heresy has already been permitted

KnightofChrist

:D of course, my point in my little snarky responses (for which I hope Apo didn't take any offense) was that all "change" isn't equivalent.  if the Pope or a council or a synod were to remove the filioque, for instance, you couldn't say that's just like when the concilium pushed through the liturgical reform, or when the versus populum position started.  all "change" does not equal innovation; and though we should of course reject antiquarianism that suggests we definitely should return to practices exactly as they were done at some time in the ancient church, there is nothing wrong with the Western Church learning from the first millenium Church, or from the Eastern Churches, and modeling some ways forward as means of restoring traditions even as they sometimes discard later traditions.  from Apo's position, it almost seems as if since we have been locked into mandatory celibacy for a millenium and therefore we're stuck with it forever else we risk destabilization.

the clerical discipline must always find a way to promote celibacy as the expression of the "eunuchs of the Kingdom of God" described in the scriptures, and I have suggested some ways I could see that being done if a married priesthood were to be brought in (the connection between monasteries and the episcopacy is one that I think would be highly beneficial to the Church).  that's the consideration I'm most concerned about... because any restoration of tradition where it has seemed to have been ruptured from will inherently not take the form of any kind of status quo stablization IMO, it will only take root if it's done in refreshing and revitalizing ways... any kind of widespread attempt to restore the 1950's will not, I think, take too strong a root... though the extraordinary rite is of course an essential aspect of the way forward.  of course I'm not suggesting allowing a married priesthood is some kind of fix, but I do think openness towards such a possibility is entirely within the realm of possibilities for those of us seeking to restore tradition in many aspects.

if I were in a position to make the decision, though, I'd of course be extremely wary of moving in that direction.  I imagine if the Vatican does decide to permit a married priesthood, though, as is entirely possible, many people here will find the perspectives I've been suggesting very useful.

I still believe it is wrong and maybe even a little disingenuous to say one cannot compare this potential change with priestly celibacy to the changes that came with and after the Second Vatican Council. I understand the point that changes to the liturgy would differ from non-liturgical changes. But the priest is deeply connected to the liturgy, in the West his celibacy has become very interconnected to his nature and identity as a priest, and since any change to this identity would have large and profound effects on the Church, changes that will ripple throughout the whole world and throughout even perhaps the ages, just like the changes in the liturgy. It is therefor rather reasonable to compare the changes in the liturgy to this potential change.

I think Apo brings up a very reasonable and good argument against this change by comparing it to the changes in the West over the last 50 or so years. For the past 50 years the Church in the West has been in a constant state of flux, the changes have not been at all limited to the liturgy, but nearly ever aspect of the Church in the West has been changed, updated, or modernized in some manner, some more abrupt than others. This would be yet more profound change, which I agree with Apo we do not need and would likely find would not help but harm. Now whether or not everyone agrees or not that this constant change and state of flux is to blame for all the crises of faith in the Church today is for another debate. But I believe there is a very good argument that the state of flux has harmed the Church in the West more than it has helped it.

Going back to the identity of the priest, I do believe this could cause more crises for priests and their identity as priests. Some times it feels to me as if the priesthood is dissolving into the laity. The laity have taken on more and more roles that once belonged only to the priest. And many priests have basically tried become more like laity than priests, they don't dress like priests, or act like priests. But instead dress and act like members of the laity. Allowing priests to marry in this environment I think could have the profound negative effect of increasing this dissolving of the priesthood into the laity.

And for the priest who wants to be a priest and who is loyal to and loves his vows of celibacy what effects will this have on him? Even if as you suggest we could have it both ways, priests with vows of celibacy and others who do not make such vows, I still think it would cause an identity crisis for some priests who've made their vows of celibacy to God already. Some may feel that it would cheapen their vow, or lessen it's value.

Anyway I just don't think we could throw away in part or in whole the treasure and tradition of priestly celibacy that has stood for nearly a thousand years, that the Church has defended and advocated tooth and nail for just as long with profound negative effects. Edited by KnightofChrist

Why are your Orthodox friends surprised? Rome lost the faith a long time ago.

Because they tend to see Rome - mistakenly - as conservative. In the past Rome has seemed to be rather unmoving - especially on liturgical issues - but at least since the close of the Second Vatican Council that has not been true. Perhaps the creation of a new liturgy through a practice of scholarly archeologism has made anything possible in the liturgical life of the Roman Church (e.g., turning Jewish table prayers into offertory prayers in the modern Roman Rite).

Priestly discipline is intimately connected to the liturgy. Are Roman Catholics willing to abandon the practice of daily Eucharistic celebrations? Periodic continence (i.e., the marital fast) is a part of the Tradition of having married priests. Is Rome going to institute a married clergy on the fly by creating an all new and unheard of form of this practice? That does seem to be the Roman Catholic approach of the present time, an approach that mirrors the way that the Protestant Reformers went about "reforming" the Churches that came under their control in the early and mid 16th century.

Edited by Apotheoun

Apropos:

http://canonlawblog.wordpress.com/2013/09/12/discussing-the-future-of-celibacy-requires-understanding-the-value-of-continence/

Discussing the future of celibacy requires understanding the value of continence
September 12, 2013

Every time a ranking prelate so much as hiccups while making a comment on celibacy, the hive starts buzzing about a potential change in clerical discipline regarding marriage. I think that kind of instant speculation is unfair to the hundreds of thousands of clergy living in celibacy and to the thousands of others seriously discerning that life, but hiccups are gonna happen and we just have to deal with them.

To the degree that some recent Roman provisions inconsistent with a celibate clergy, as opposed to steady Roman rhetoric in support of it, have contributed to confusion-approaching-consternation among those who already live, or who are discerning, this “special gift of God” (c. 277 § 1, more about that here), then some critical self-examination seems in order even at high levels. Step One might be something like, No more comments requiring theological precision for a proper understanding to be made before reporters unable, or unwilling, to make and communicate those precisions.

But ultimately, what must be appreciated is this: the clerical celibacyissue cannot be adequately addressed until, among other things, the more fundamental question of clerical (diaconal, to be sure, but even more crucially, sacerdotal) continence is forthrightly addressed. Folks who persist in treating celibacy questions as identical with continence questions (some to the point of not even acknowledging that continence questions exist) do so, I suggest, in plain disregard of the historical, canonical, and sacramental evidence to the contrary. More about thathere.

Bottom line: Some kinds of questions can be tabled pending further study, but the more that resolutions to derivative issues depend on the answers found to those prior questions, the more urgent becomes the need to face those fundamental questions directly. Understanding the value of continence is crucial to assessing the future of celibacy.

KnightofChrist

Anyway I just don't think we could throw away in part or in whole the treasure and tradition of priestly celibacy that has stood for nearly a thousand years, that the Church has defended and advocated tooth and nail for just as long without profound negative effects.

That should have been without, not with, but hopefully everyone understood that anyway. As it would make no sense otherwise.

It's claimed that when the Virgin appeared in La Salette she gave a secret revelation, namely, “Rome will lose the Faith and become the Seat of Antichrist." Many efforts have been made to suggest this is a spurious invention, but in light of all that has  happened, one can really wonder.

It's claimed that when the Virgin appeared in La Salette she gave a secret revelation, namely, “Rome will lose the Faith and become the Seat of Antichrist." Many efforts have been made to suggest this is a spurious invention, but in light of all that has  happened, one can really wonder.

yep and the protestant church(well one of the million that there are) will hold the true faith.  suuureee

yep and the protestant church(well one of the million that there are) will hold the true faith.  suuureee

According to Vatican Newspeak the Protestants are already holding on to the truth. They are imperfectly united and have the means for salvation, so there is no need for them to become formal Catholics.